Old September 16th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default The band has been quiet

Not much DX in the last week or so over here.
Old September 16th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Not much DX in the last week or so over here.

How do you have Jays Ant mounted? Like how high, any trees around etc...

It's about 37' to the base of it. I'm surrounded by big trees here man, my
beam antenna is 75 feet away from Jay's antenna, and it is surrounded by
big trees too. Don't let the trees stop you from trying it.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old September 16th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Not much DX in the last week or so over here.

How do you have Jays Ant mounted? Like how high, any trees around
etc...

It's about 37' to the base of it. I'm surrounded by big trees here man,
my beam antenna is 75 feet away from Jay's antenna, and it is surrounded
by big trees too. Don't let the trees stop you from trying it.

Piggy back my post:

A wire through the tops of those trees will work too/better perhaps.

That's my next antenna project.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old September 16th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

Not much DX in the last week or so over here.

How do you have Jays Ant mounted? Like how high, any trees around
etc...

It's about 37' to the base of it. I'm surrounded by big trees here man,
my beam antenna is 75 feet away from Jay's antenna, and it is
surrounded by big trees too. Don't let the trees stop you from trying
it.

Smaller plot than you and I have 60'+ oaks n maples all around. Got a
40' tower but what a bitch its gonna be mounting the JoGunn monster on
that with the limited space. I'll have a beer and think about it...

Is the tower hinged for easy access, or maybe not? Is it a one shot -up-
deal with the antenna choices?

If that's the case I'd start with a ground plane as high as you can get it
up in the air and with as much ground as you can pound. I run two eight
foot copper ground rods right below Jay's antenna, and wonder it it's
enough.

Ever think of trying a wire antenna in those trees?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old September 16th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
jim jim is offline

Old September 16th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Not much DX in the last week or so over here.

Hello Steveo:

Yeah not much skip here either, not hearing a lot on the ham bands either.

The neighbor down the road about a half mile away has one of those FM
Broadcast Transmitters, hooked up to his XM Satellite Radio, and he has
old 1940 and 1950 records also, he plays all this old stuff, and really
sounds good. Thats all I am hearing except when a Los Angles station
takes him out.

Jay in the Mojave

Old September 16th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Not much DX in the last week or so over here.

Hello Steveo:

Yeah not much skip here either, not hearing a lot on the ham bands
either.

The neighbor down the road about a half mile away has one of those FM
Broadcast Transmitters, hooked up to his XM Satellite Radio, and he has
old 1940 and 1950 records also, he plays all this old stuff, and really
sounds good. Thats all I am hearing except when a Los Angles station
takes him out.

Jay in the Mojave

Copy that Jay, it's mostly local traffic for me over here lately. Luckily
there's a gaggle of SSB operators within shouting distance from me. If not
I'd be ghost talking. :P

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old September 17th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

[...]

Having the tower to hinge over using a winch or power winch is something
I use almost every day. Guy who don't have a tower that can hinge down
usually have to rent a bucket to get to the antenna or climb the tower.
My small tower is a crank up/down and tilt over using power winches. But
there are days when the tower will be raised and lowered 10 times a day.

I have had reported back to me two Interceptor 10K Antennas struck by
lightening. In both cases the radios and coaxes where toast, the antenna
survived. But the users did not properly ground the coaxes as per the
instructions. I see many commercial installations have the coax wound in
a 2 to 3 foot coil, and the shield of the coax grounded to a ground rod,
before leaving the tower and entering the untility room where the radio
is. The thinking here I am told is the lightening doesn't like to go
thru a coil but would prefere a direct path to ground. But who really
knows if you get a little shot or a main burst of natures furry?!?!??

Jay in the Mojave
Old September 17th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 16 Sep 2007 00:58:15 GMT, Steveo wrote:

|jim wrote:
| Steveo wrote:
| Not much DX in the last week or so over here.
|
| How do you have Jays Ant mounted? Like how high, any trees around etc...
|

|It's about 37' to the base of it. I'm surrounded by big trees here man, my
|beam antenna is 75 feet away from Jay's antenna, and it is surrounded by
|big trees too. Don't let the trees stop you from trying it.
|-------------

If you can keep the antenna about 3 wavelengths from the trees then
you wont have much issues with signal absorbtion and/or reflections on
transmit. Within one wavelength or less then you will have some
issues.

james

( OT) Quiet here . . . Diverd4777 Shortwave 5 September 5th 04 01:42 AM
Sure Been Quiet Around Here Burr Shortwave 1 February 29th 04 10:52 PM
Extremely Quiet in the 49 Meter Band Dxluver Shortwave 1 February 26th 04 03:59 AM
Look at how quiet Steveo CB 1 December 12th 03 09:23 PM
Look at how quiet Randy CB 16 December 8th 03 01:24 AM