Old November 13th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default DSP

Does DSP improve the receive much on 11?
Old November 13th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 13 Nov 2007 02:08:46 GMT, Steveo wrote:

|Does DSP improve the receive much on 11?

|---------------------

Yes it can. The real issue is that DSP is not a cure all. Al lot
depends on implementation as to how good the filtering is done via DSP
along with the associated A/D and D/A converters. Sample rate and
sample depth in bits are important. A/D convertors need at least 16
bits to get real good signal to noise ratios and dynamic range.

james
Old November 14th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Does DSP improve the receive much on 11?

Hello Steveo: ( anyone show up for a Lic?)

Yeah the DSP and digital IF filters work great, but as james said not a
fix all. Good call.

The DSP does reduce some noise and such. But the Digital IF Filters
allows the operator to select wide or narrow IF filters that allow a
great deal of flexible to the operator.

I use to have a sharp/narrow IF crystal filter in a Heathkit receiver,
it allowed you to receive AM signals during the jamming hour. It allowed
you to only receive one sideband if the station you wanted to understand
was a little low on the frequency, it worked.

While listening in on 10 and 11 meters, I have had stations from the
central and south america come in on the opposite sideband. On 38 LSB
one day I was trying to hear a station at Easter Island (357) but had
bleed over from a station on USB, the digital filters allowed me to
significantly reduce the USB signal/bleed over to hear 357. Usually I
can reduce stations from signal strength from the beam, by pointing the
null towards them, but in this case 357 was in the same direction.

I also use a DSP Speaker in the mobile that significantly reduces some
noises. But again it ain't a fix all. Shielding and by-passing the
iginition system and grounded the fenders, firewall, and hood was a
tremendous reduction in noises.

Next time your in AES or HRO have the sales dude show you the DSP and
digital filters on a Icom Pro 746 radio.

Jay in the Mojave
Old November 14th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:

Steveo wrote:

[...]

You can also do some really neat things with the attunator, different
bandwidths of the IF Filters, and rotating the beam around.

I have a one dB step attunator wired into the Icom 746.

Jay in the Mojave
Old November 14th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Steveo wrote:
[...]

Hi Jay, Thanks for the explanation. I guess I need to actually hear it to
really know if I want to shell out the cash for a rig that has DSP. I've
heard guys comment on the air comment on both sides of the fence about it,
one guy says he doesnt's particularly like the tone quality with it. I'm
more interested in pulling out weak ground wave stations than filtering.
Does the DSP help with that?

Old November 16th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Does DSP improve the receive much on 11?

Yes and no.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/