Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 26th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default VoiceMax Speech Processor

Telstar Electronics wrote:
According the photo (http://i17.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/cb/2d/

2695_1.JPG) that
I found on a certain well-known auction site, all but a few solder joints
had what I call "reverse fillets". The solder connections should have a
concave shape but instead have a convex shape (too much solder). The few
that didn't appeared to be overheated, with a grainy appearance. I hate to
say so but, though you've had a low failure rate, they definitely wouldn't
pass scrutiny to meet Mil, CGMP, ISO, or IPC standards.
Bryan WA7PRC

You are right about possibly having too much solder... but that is
certainly not a reliability issue.
Grainy appearance of some joints is not uncommon for the new RoHS
(high-concentration of tin) solders.
As for passing military specs... that was never our intention with
this product. Thanks for your comments.

Hello All:

Nothing wrong at all with the solder job. More is better in this
application. And it looks good to me. Soldering for more than 40 years
in all kinds of applications. Have fixed many electronic equipment by
just going over the botched soldering job.

The audio set up can't be that hard. I would adjust just to were it
sounds distorted and back it off some. Who needs a scope. I can't
believe how many stations you can look at with a scope while looking at
the IF Amp that the signals look NOT like the old ARRL Handbook Voice
Pattern. And that's for all the guys on 80, 40, and 20 meters. Amazing
how many do not know how to adjust the mic audio in, speech processor,
and RF Drive levels to the amps.

Jay in the Mojave