Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 18th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Amateur radio, cb, and the endless crying

Hello gang,

We've seen the rec.radio.cb group go right down the tubes along with many
rec.radio.amateur groups and the bickering goes on.

Just like to share something with the group. This city (Rochester, NY) has
been in a recession since 2002 (according to the local newspaper).
Employers had been running ads for toolmakers with a minimum of 6 years
experience - and offering the staggering wage of $10.00 per hour!
Toolmakers? Good grief.

Wages here have sunk to unbelievable levels with most folks that aren't
managing to hang on to their jobs to $8.00 to perhaps $15.00 per hour - and
most below that $15.00 per hour figure. Unemployment here was 6% some years
back.

There is one very bright spot. If anyone has an extensive rf background,
one company has been hiring. I was one of nearly 600 last year and they are
adding more even as I post this note to the group. Wages are far North of
that $15.00 per hour figure ... and they had a bounty on rf engineers and
even well-qualified technicians last year. Thousands of dollars for a
referral that was subsequently hired.

My suggestion is this - have fun and don't worry about the folks that wish
to spoil the newsgroup. Even better, learn more about your hobby whether cb
or ham - and bother learning about rf circuitry. This is one area that
there are jobs in. Very likely in other cities as well as I suspect the
radio shops are having problems finding folks. The shop that I had worked
in was running ads last year and getting resumes from across the country. I
think this may be a result of the Internet and cell phones which has
resulted in youngsters no longer becoming interested in radio. It does open
possibilities for those who possess the appropriate skill set.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas and new year.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim