Old December 18th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Amateur radio, cb, and the endless crying

Hello gang,

We've seen the rec.radio.cb group go right down the tubes along with many
rec.radio.amateur groups and the bickering goes on.

Just like to share something with the group. This city (Rochester, NY) has
been in a recession since 2002 (according to the local newspaper).
Employers had been running ads for toolmakers with a minimum of 6 years
experience - and offering the staggering wage of $10.00 per hour!
Toolmakers? Good grief.

Wages here have sunk to unbelievable levels with most folks that aren't
managing to hang on to their jobs to $8.00 to perhaps $15.00 per hour - and
most below that $15.00 per hour figure. Unemployment here was 6% some years
back.

There is one very bright spot. If anyone has an extensive rf background,
one company has been hiring. I was one of nearly 600 last year and they are
adding more even as I post this note to the group. Wages are far North of
that $15.00 per hour figure ... and they had a bounty on rf engineers and
even well-qualified technicians last year. Thousands of dollars for a
referral that was subsequently hired.

My suggestion is this - have fun and don't worry about the folks that wish
to spoil the newsgroup. Even better, learn more about your hobby whether cb
or ham - and bother learning about rf circuitry. This is one area that
there are jobs in. Very likely in other cities as well as I suspect the
radio shops are having problems finding folks. The shop that I had worked
in was running ads last year and getting resumes from across the country. I
think this may be a result of the Internet and cell phones which has
resulted in youngsters no longer becoming interested in radio. It does open
possibilities for those who possess the appropriate skill set.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas and new year.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old December 20th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
jim jim is offline

Jim Hampton wrote:
[...]

Cheers Jim. Most of NYS has been hit hard with the exodus of skilled
jobs. Did some work in Owego at Lockheed Martin and I hope that facility
keeps generating jobs. Saw the downsizing when working at Grumman here
on the island. Worked there building planes but the powers that be moved
manufacturing to Fla. Still some engineering work in Bethpage but not
like years gone by. Now in telecomms which pays the bills.
Happy Holidays back at ya, 73, Jim

Old December 20th 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Jim Hampton" wrote:
[...]

Hello Jim
Glad to hear all that government training is finally paying off OM. g

I hope you bought yourself something nice for Xmas with all that walking
around money!

All the best to you and your family.

73
Steve

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old December 20th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

jim wrote:
-snippage-
Happy Holidays back at ya, 73, Jim

Hello Jim
I thought of you today as I hooked up the 2510 to a Texas star 500v in my
work truck. Can not kill it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

73
Steve

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old December 20th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Dec 20, 4:42*am, Steve wrote:
jim wrote:

*-snippage- Happy Holidays back at ya, 73, Jim

Hello Jim
I thought of you today as I hooked up the 2510 to a Texas star 500v in my
work truck. Can not kill it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

73
Steve

--
* * * * * * * * *http://NewsReader.Com/

yeah that texas star got him a woody and he thought of a ham...see
what I mean about him...he is a limpwrist!

Old December 20th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
jim jim is offline

Steve wrote:
jim wrote:
-snippage-

Happy Holidays back at ya, 73, Jim

Hello Jim
I thought of you today as I hooked up the 2510 to a Texas star 500v in my
work truck. Can not kill it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

73
Steve

Hey Steve. Glad the rig is still working for ya. Since its snowing today
I'm down in the radio room ripping out the walls and reinsulating. These
60 year old homes are a bit drafty. Every other part of the house is
complete and now its time to wrench on the man cave hehehe

Happy Holidays all around bud.

73, Jim

Old December 20th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

jim wrote:
Steve wrote:
jim wrote:
-snippage-

Happy Holidays back at ya, 73, Jim

Hello Jim
I thought of you today as I hooked up the 2510 to a Texas star 500v in
my work truck. Can not kill it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

73
Steve

Hey Steve. Glad the rig is still working for ya. Since its snowing today
I'm down in the radio room ripping out the walls and reinsulating. These
60 year old homes are a bit drafty. Every other part of the house is
complete and now its time to wrench on the man cave hehehe

Happy Holidays all around bud.

73, Jim

The man cave is a must have after all your hard work on that place Jimbo.
So now you're building a sound studio to go along with that big radio
you'ins have over yonder. I can just see it now, "shut that cat up I'm
trying to talk" on the radio! :P

Santa showed up early and brought me a new electro-voice re20 mic so I'm
set for this year.

Nice to hear from you bro.
73, Steve.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old December 20th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
jim jim is offline

Steve wrote:
jim wrote:

Steve wrote:

jim wrote:
[...]

**** the cats, my dogs would dine on them and look for squirrels.
Got the TV and fridge in the cave so far.

Gonna go and look up that mic. What do you like about it?

Gave Enzo a coupla radios a few months back. I see him posting on the
local sports ng's. Should hit him up to see if he got them running.

There is a Mother classic car show marathon on at the mo' on ESPN Classic.

Good hearing from you also mate.

PS. I'm sure Sharkie will be around asking why no one is talking to him

Old December 25th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"jim" wrote in message

Gonna go and look up that mic. What do you like about it?

A better question is -what's not to like about it?-

Best dynamic ever made.

Merry Happy, bro.

Old December 25th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Dec 20, 12:27*pm, Steve wrote:
jim wrote:

* * * * * * * * *http://NewsReader.Com/- Hide quoted text -

http://nimbusters.org/forum/read.php?board=8&id=662751