Old January 31st 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Texas star 500 portable

Steve wrote:
Why do they make an amp that requires an 8 Gage feed, with 12 Gage
leads?

Keep an honest man on the straight.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old February 1st 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Steve:

Yeah a good question alright! I'll give a go here for a good answer.

It saves the manufacture money! And it kind of works in short lengths.
Even of you don't have a 150 amp physco nut cake dooms day Alternator,
you can still run a TS500 Amp. My 70 Amp Ford Alternator would try to
keep it supplied with 13 to 14 volts under load but just didn't have the
design capacity to do it. But thats not a big deal as your not on the
key all the time allowing the Alternator to catch up charing the battery.

My Texas Star had the small gauge wire (12 gauge) wire leads coming from
it. Bill Good replaced the 12 gauge wire with 4 gauge wire with a 60 amp
in line fuse. Bill also added a 7 pole filter to the amp to reduce
unwanted emissions. And a neat Fan to keep it all nice and cool.

I have two 6 gauge Gauge Wires coming off the Battery for both the
positive and negative sides. This all feeds the amp that really works
well, as its feed by a 150 amp Alternator. On some peaks on SSB I can
hear the Alternator belt slip at times. My 2 meter radio a Yaesu 2800
has a menu to monitor the input voltage, and it never drops below 13.6
volts.

I have made some custom 10 meter whip antennas that work well on 11
meters, but I am usually on 10 as we have a local group here on 10.
These custom made antennas are a larger than life Fiberglass whip
antenna thats about 98 inches long, that use Silver Plated 8 gauge wire.
Wow just pay for a few feet of that stuff.... As we can't get the 96
inch Francis Amazer Fiberglass whip antennas any more. They were great
as they could be cut for 10 or even 6 meters.

Went to the TRW swap meet yesterday near the LAX Airport. Saw a mess of
old friends, had there world famous terrible coffee, and bought many
things not needed a pretty good prices. A Texas Star amp was there and
it had also been modified to have larger gauge wire feeding it.

Got invited to a Super Bowl Party, but was gonna be too long a drive and
the boys had plenty of beer ordered in Kegs, that means you would
probably spend the night there. Or in Jail....

A good time was had by all....

Jay in the Mojave

Old February 1st 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Jan 31, 12:11*am, Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:
Why do they make an amp that requires an 8 Gage feed, with 12 Gage
leads?

Keep an honest man on the straight.

--
* * * * * * * * *http://NewsReader.Com/

faggot and husband of alpo girl...who can't do a THING about the AKC
and never will. LOL!

FOR SALE TEXAS STAR 250 DX [email protected] CB 0 January 15th 06 07:26 PM
texas star 2879 bdonovan1 CB 14 November 22nd 05 02:18 PM
FA: Texas Star Modulator EX V-Plus [email protected] CB 1 April 8th 05 04:13 PM
FA: Texas Star Modulator EX V-Plus [email protected] Swap 1 April 8th 05 04:13 PM
TEXAS STAR 667 QUESTION Reg1647 CB 11 January 7th 04 06:23 AM