Old October 14th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Motorhome antenna

Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm not
sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I have
a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I can
use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.

Old October 17th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm
not sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I
have a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I
can use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.

OK so the whip might be the ticket for now, next up is making a plastic or
rubber standoff
to keep it from swinging around so much. I figure I'll hook that to the
luggage rack which
is right at the roof line and let it -whip- above that somewhat.

Any suggestions on what to use for the standoff, all things considered?

73
Steve.

Old October 17th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Steve" wrote in message OK so the whip might be
the ticket for now, next up is making a plastic or
rubber standoff
to keep it from swinging around so much. I figure I'll hook that to the
luggage rack which
is right at the roof line and let it -whip- above that somewhat.

Any suggestions on what to use for the standoff, all things considered?

73
Steve.

I forgot to add the 'standoff' will need to be around two feet long and
somewhat flexable/shock absorbing.

73
Steve.

Old October 19th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Wooden snow brush handle. UV resistant zip tie at each end.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 19th 09, 05:25 PM
Senior Member

Wink

Instead of a 102" whip flying around,why not simply pick up a shakespear marine cb antenna that's designed to be used with fiberglass craft? It could be mirror-mounted then you're done!
N9ZAS

Old October 24th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Wooden snow brush handle. UV resistant zip tie at each end.

Yeah something along those lines but a bit more flexable would work. Thanks
Stormin.

Old October 26th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Door sweep, or threshhold from the hardware store?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

Old October 19th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Nylon rope comes to mind.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. ..

Old October 17th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:24:06 -0400, "Steve"
wrote:

Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm not
sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I have
a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I can
use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.

Mounting an antenna on the side or back of a motorhome can be
ineffective in some directions. You really need to have an antenna
as free of obstructions as possible.

The best choice for a lack of ground plane is a set of dual antennas.
Something like this: click on dual antenna kit
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Or for a single antenna:
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/e30-ngp.htm

More info:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/ng...cb-antenna-75/

Motorhome antenna questions Ed Antenna 3 September 16th 06 06:17 PM
G5RV for motorhome [email protected] Equipment 0 April 19th 05 02:51 AM
CB problem in motorhome Gary Chenier CB 12 May 12th 04 08:07 PM
Fiberglass Motorhome Nate Morton CB 23 March 22nd 04 11:22 PM
Motorhome mounting DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE Antenna 5 February 27th 04 03:17 AM