Old October 24th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Motorhome antenna

wrote in message
news

Thanks for the help, tnom, I only want to do this once so I figure to ask
questions first..maybe test
and tune along the way. I fugure the 102"will see right through most of
the
coach, no?

73
Steve.

What metallic framing is just under the fiberglass. What wiring?
Any of this running parallel in close proximity to the antenna will
have an effect.

Yeah that's the question and I won't know until I try it. My other concern
is overpass clearence with it. It already has a two foot
CB antenna on it and I ain't impressed, so I'm looking to upgrade. I'll
mostly use it on ssb ragchew.

73
Steve.

Old October 24th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

The mirrors are fibergalss too... and I don't like the idea of using my coax
length to tune my swr.
Plus the fact the 102" will out listen and talk most any coily antenna.
(imo)

When you have a lack of or minimal ground plane you make the coax part
of the antenna! The coax length effects the SWR reading.

A ground plane decouples the antenna.
Old October 24th 09, 09:44 PM
Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm not
sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I have
a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I can
use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.
Instead of a 102" whip flying around,why not simply pick up a shakespear marine cb antenna that's designed to be used with fiberglass craft? It could be mirror-mounted then you're done!
N9ZAS
Old October 26th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Door sweep, or threshhold from the hardware store?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
Wooden snow brush handle. UV resistant zip tie at each
end.

Yeah something along those lines but a bit more flexable
would work. Thanks
Stormin.

Old October 26th 09, 11:18 PM
Senior Member

Post

Instead of a 102" whip flying around,why not simply pick up a shakespear marine cb antenna that's designed to be used with fiberglass craft? It could be mirror-mounted then you're done! A marine antenna will perform nearly as well as that overgrown 102"! You can still mount it to your luggage rack too.
N9ZAS
Old October 27th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote in message

The mirrors are fibergalss too... and I don't like the idea of using my
coax
length to tune my swr.
Plus the fact the 102" will out listen and talk most any coily antenna.
(imo)

When you have a lack of or minimal ground plane you make the coax part
of the antenna! The coax length effects the SWR reading.

A ground plane decouples the antenna.

Qsk, test and tune this winter while the machine is out of service. I hope
the 102 will work but that remains to be seen. It has a big ass
steel frame under it and that's where the whip will be mounted. I'm fairly
certain it will talk and hear toward the front of the motorhome
but being that it's fiberglass I won't know until I hook it up.

ps. I run hf gear at times but not always.

Thanks again for your help, tnom.

73
Steve.

Old October 27th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Door sweep, or threshhold from the hardware store?

A piece of something no doubt, Strormin. I have some really thick ass rubber
mat for horse stalls that would work fine except for the black streaks it
would leave behind it on the top of the motorhome. That part is still in
design, qsk?

73
Steve.

Old October 28th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Well, something will come to mind eventually. I do that,
busy thinking about some thing, and the idea shows up after
a while.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

Old October 31st 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Well, something will come to mind eventually. I do that,
busy thinking about some thing, and the idea shows up after
a while.

That's right Stormin, donut wanna over think it!

73
Steve.

Motorhome antenna questions Ed Antenna 3 September 16th 06 06:17 PM
G5RV for motorhome [email protected] Equipment 0 April 19th 05 02:51 AM
CB problem in motorhome Gary Chenier CB 12 May 12th 04 08:07 PM
Fiberglass Motorhome Nate Morton CB 23 March 22nd 04 11:22 PM
Motorhome mounting DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE Antenna 5 February 27th 04 03:17 AM