Old October 14th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Motorhome antenna

Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm not
sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I have
a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I can
use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.

Old October 17th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm
not sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I
have a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I
can use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.

OK so the whip might be the ticket for now, next up is making a plastic or
rubber standoff
to keep it from swinging around so much. I figure I'll hook that to the
luggage rack which
is right at the roof line and let it -whip- above that somewhat.

Any suggestions on what to use for the standoff, all things considered?

73
Steve.

Old October 17th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Steve" wrote in message OK so the whip might be
the ticket for now, next up is making a plastic or
rubber standoff
to keep it from swinging around so much. I figure I'll hook that to the
luggage rack which
is right at the roof line and let it -whip- above that somewhat.

Any suggestions on what to use for the standoff, all things considered?

73
Steve.

I forgot to add the 'standoff' will need to be around two feet long and
somewhat flexable/shock absorbing.

73
Steve.

Old October 17th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:24:06 -0400, "Steve"
wrote:

Hello,
I want to put an antenna on a -fiberglass- motorhome (class a) and I'm not
sure about the no gound plane vs the regular mobile antenna choices. I have
a ladder
rack on the back, and a luggage rack on top, but I'm not sure of how much
ground I can get from that.

I have a 102" whip laying around and I thought about mounting that to the
back bumber with a homemade plastic 'standoff' at the top of the motorhome
to keep it from swinging.

Good idea, or no? (tree pruner is not what i want) but from the bumper I can
use most of that 9' before it clears the roof on a fiberglass body.

Strange combo.

Mounting an antenna on the side or back of a motorhome can be
ineffective in some directions. You really need to have an antenna
as free of obstructions as possible.

The best choice for a lack of ground plane is a set of dual antennas.
Something like this: click on dual antenna kit
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Or for a single antenna:
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/e30-ngp.htm

More info:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/ng...cb-antenna-75/

Old October 17th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:

[...]

Agreed but remember the body and roof are fiberglass on this motorhome. Non
conductive.

The best choice for a lack of ground plane is a set of dual antennas.
Something like this: click on dual antenna kit
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

I've generally heard one antenna works better than two unless you can
seperate them more than is practical in -most- applications
but I could be wrong about that. The NGP antenna involes using your coax
length to match the swr, right?

My plan is to cut enough coax to reach from the whip mount to the radio, and
none for tuning the swr.

Thanks for the help, tnom, I only want to do this once so I figure to ask
questions first..maybe test
and tune along the way. I fugure the 102"will see right through most of the
coach, no?

73
Steve.

Old October 18th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Thanks for the help, tnom, I only want to do this once so I figure to ask
questions first..maybe test
and tune along the way. I fugure the 102"will see right through most of the
coach, no?

73
Steve.

What metallic framing is just under the fiberglass. What wiring?
Any of this running parallel in close proximity to the antenna will
have an effect.
Old October 19th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Nylon rope comes to mind.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. ..

Old October 19th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Wooden snow brush handle. UV resistant zip tie at each end.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 19th 09, 05:25 PM
Senior Member

Wink

Instead of a 102" whip flying around,why not simply pick up a shakespear marine cb antenna that's designed to be used with fiberglass craft? It could be mirror-mounted then you're done!
N9ZAS
Old October 24th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Wooden snow brush handle. UV resistant zip tie at each end.

Yeah something along those lines but a bit more flexable would work. Thanks
Stormin.

Motorhome antenna questions Ed Antenna 3 September 16th 06 06:17 PM
G5RV for motorhome [email protected] Equipment 0 April 19th 05 02:51 AM
CB problem in motorhome Gary Chenier CB 12 May 12th 04 08:07 PM
Fiberglass Motorhome Nate Morton CB 23 March 22nd 04 11:22 PM
Motorhome mounting DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE Antenna 5 February 27th 04 03:17 AM