Old July 20th 11, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Truly mobile CB

you would think that with all the innovations and developments in
radios, though almost all, admittedly is for Government or Big Business,
there would be a hand held CB with good range etc.
I've got a couple CBs and a hand held CB.
I don't want holes and trying to locate one in the vehicle.
There is a lot more congestion, on the roads these days. There is a lot
of accidents, closed lanes, back ups, groups of semi's practicing micro
passing etc.
I need/want a good hand held CB. The Midland I have is next to useless.
It is supposed to put out four watts. Of course the antenna isn't much.
Is there anything out there that works?

Old July 20th 11, 08:09 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

LilAbner wrote:
you would think that with all the innovations and developments in
radios, though almost all, admittedly is for Government or Big Business,
there would be a hand held CB with good range etc.
I've got a couple CBs and a hand held CB.
I don't want holes and trying to locate one in the vehicle.
There is a lot more congestion, on the roads these days. There is a lot
of accidents, closed lanes, back ups, groups of semi's practicing micro
passing etc.
I need/want a good hand held CB. The Midland I have is next to useless.
It is supposed to put out four watts. Of course the antenna isn't much.
Is there anything out there that works?

This was answered in thread "Good range radio". The answer hasn't changed
and it won't until physical law of nature are changed. My $150 2 meter FM
radio accesses ham repeaters that cover the entire state and more. A ham
ticket at the most will cost you a $14 VEC fee. A lot cheaper then $800!
Old July 20th 11, 12:38 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 7/20/2011 3:09 AM, Scott in Baltimore wrote:
LilAbner wrote:
[...]

No it's two questions. Bought two Motorola 2 Meter radios. They seem to
work fine around here. The repeaters and so forth are still taking some
getting use to.
What I need is a CB for on the road. The 2 meters don't cover those
channels.
I really doubt there is a good hand held CB but there has been a lot of
developments since my first CB in 1971. My brother still has that Royce.
Works better than many later ones except it occasionally has to have the
crystal replaced. My Tea berry works fine except, the CB shop that
replaced a meter stole the crystal or whatever and put in a cheaper
lower powered one back in the 80s. The hand held Motorola CB just
doesn't have any range, at all. The pkg is the right size but the
antenna is the biggest limiting factor plus output. Someone might be
making one that works a lot better.

Mobile amp / Mobile antenna control ? Norb Dx 0 November 3rd 05 02:39 PM
Swap: 800 Mhz mobile for UHF mobile Kscoinhutch Swap 0 January 4th 05 03:13 AM
WTB: 220 FM Mobile Harry White Swap 0 April 3rd 04 03:32 AM
AM mobile W7CXA Homebrew 0 January 9th 04 01:14 AM