Old September 26th 03, 09:56 PM
killdagger

Default Newbie with a wire dipole

Greetings,
I've got me an RCA CB Co pilot 14T303 with a workman BS-1 dipole
antenna pinnes up in an inverted v outside my window. I recieve just
fine, but my transmit is horrible. I can't get a radio check from any
of the truckers up on the interstate (1/8 mi. from my house). I get a
barely audible signal monitoring from the other side of the house.
When I transmit I'm getting only the tiniest nudge on my s/mod meter.
Is my radio shot? of is it just the cheap antenna?

Any help with this dilemna would be greatly appreaciated.

Killdagger
Old September 27th 03, 12:59 AM
'Doc

Killdagger,
Actually it could be either or both. There are a number
of things that could be wrong, but starting with the radio,
try another antenna to see what happens. If the output is
good then I'd take a look at the antenna. There's nothing
'wrong' with using a dipole, they're good antennas (no matter
what they cost). If the 'match' between radio/feed line and
antenna is bad it usually will reduce the signal you transmit
but will very seldom reduce it as much as you say is happening.
Another thing you might consider is the polarity of the
dipole. Hung as an inverted 'V' it will be horizontally
polarized, which will further reduce your signal (if the guy's
antenna on the other end is vertical). That only happens at
fairly short distances, on long distances the polarity changes
after the fist 'skip'. After the first 'skip' you really don't
have any idea of what the polarization is...
'Doc
Old September 29th 03, 12:01 AM
killdagger

Well, I checked the SWR. 1.5 @ ch.1 and a hair below 2 on 40. As for
the inverted dipole, do you reccommend i mount it as an 'L'?

Thanks

Old September 29th 03, 12:47 AM
Radioman

killdagger wrote:

Well, I checked the SWR. 1.5 @ ch.1 and a hair below 2 on 40. As for
the inverted dipole, do you reccommend i mount it as an 'L'?

I do have to laugh that people think 1:1 is the holy grail, that they won't
be heard if they have 1.5:1. Resonance is more important then impedance.

Height _is_ the most important factor for antennas. Height is might!

Old September 29th 03, 12:51 AM

Radioman wrote:
killdagger wrote:

Well, I checked the SWR. 1.5 @ ch.1 and a hair below 2 on 40. As for
the inverted dipole, do you reccommend i mount it as an 'L'?

I do have to laugh that people think 1:1 is the holy grail, that they
won't be heard if they have 1.5:1. Resonance is more important then
impedance.

Height _is_ the most important factor for antennas. Height is might!

Rockin..run non resonant guy wires to the W/SW if you go high(er).

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old September 29th 03, 06:22 AM
'Doc

killdagger,
You might give it a try, it certainly can't hurt anything.
You also might try other configurations you have the space
for. As long as you don't double the legs of a dipole back
onto themselves, 'shape' isn't too critical.
As for the SWR, well, it sounds about normal to me. The
'low SWR readings from daylight to dark' type antennas are the
ones that sound 'unnatural', it just doesn't happen that way
unless there's a reason. That reason is usually lower
efficiency. You just don't get something for nothing, and if
it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
'Doc
Old September 29th 03, 09:02 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , 'Doc wrote:

killdagger,
You might give it a try, it certainly can't hurt anything.
You also might try other configurations you have the space
for. As long as you don't double the legs of a dipole back
onto themselves, 'shape' isn't too critical.
As for the SWR, well, it sounds about normal to me. The
'low SWR readings from daylight to dark' type antennas are the
ones that sound 'unnatural', it just doesn't happen that way
unless there's a reason. That reason is usually lower
efficiency. You just don't get something for nothing, and if
it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
'Doc

Hey Doc, you sound like a politician with all that "I don't know what is wrong
but I'll try and sound like I do" bull****. Do you have an answer that doesn't
sound like you are on the Democratic ticket? Post it!

Old September 29th 03, 10:08 AM
sideband

Hrm.. Wonder where Frankie's intelligent reply is...

Oh, wait, I guess this is it, as this is the best he can manage.

-SSB