Old October 25th 03, 06:20 PM
(Scott Unit 69)

Default X-Terminator, no nit picking

Seriously, can anybody give us a PRACTICAL explanation of possible advantages
of the X-terminator vs. SS 108" whip without getting bogged down in minimal
**** like the conductivity of chrome? Will it make any difference at all
in the s-meter of the other person? Will it at least be as efficient as the
SS whip? How much signal loss is the trade off to save height?
Old October 26th 03, 01:30 AM
JJ

(Scott Unit 69) wrote:

Seriously, can anybody give us a PRACTICAL explanation of possible advantages
of the X-terminator vs. SS 108" whip without getting bogged down in minimal
**** like the conductivity of chrome? Will it make any difference at all
in the s-meter of the other person? Will it at least be as efficient as the
SS whip? How much signal loss is the trade off to save height?

Unless there is at least a 3db difference between one antenna and the
other (approx 1 s-unit on the receiving end) then the difference is not
worth mentioning.

Old October 26th 03, 01:59 AM

On 25 Oct 2003 18:20:05 +0100, "(Scott Unit 69)"
wrote:

Seriously, can anybody give us a PRACTICAL explanation of possible advantages
of the X-terminator vs. SS 108" whip without getting bogged down in minimal
**** like the conductivity of chrome?

The X-terminator has minimal gain over the 108" SS, so why can't this
be attributed to a minimal property difference?

Will it make any difference at all
in the s-meter of the other person?

If you look closely yes.

Will it at least be as efficient as the
SS whip?

No..... The 108" SS trims trees much better.

How much signal loss is the trade off to save height?

None

Old October 26th 03, 02:58 AM

So what you are saying is that I get less performance from a 8 foot 5 inch
SS whip than if I had a 5 foot base loaded X-terminator?

BS.

No. You said that. There is no base loaded X-terminator and if there
was I couldn't tell you what it could do because I never measured it.

All I am saying is this. There are shorter antennas that can beat a
102" SS whip. If you can beat or equal the 102 then why not take
advantage of it. After all the best place to mount an antenna is
the roof. All antennas gain from the roof location. It is much more
convenient and likely that you would mount a five foot antenna
on the roof.

The only disadvantage of the X-Terminator type antenna is its
cost and its ugliness, but you can mount it on the roof without fear
of trimming your neighbors trees.