Old November 13th 03, 03:22 AM
Landshark

"Steveo" wrote in message
Frank Gilliland wrote:
In , Steveo
wrote:

Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Use a rubber pencil eraser.

Really? That makes sense, as long as there's no grit residue after
cleaning it with air. What say about a plastic safe contact cleaner?

I'll agree with Frank. That's what I use
to clean rechargeable batt. contacts.

Landshark

--
There are no stupid questions, just stupid
people.

Mr. Garrison

Old November 13th 03, 06:31 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , Steveo
wrote:

Frank Gilliland wrote:
In , Steveo
wrote:

Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Use a rubber pencil eraser.

Really? That makes sense, as long as there's no grit residue after
cleaning it with air. What say about a plastic safe contact cleaner?

Don't bother. Just rub it clean with the eraser and it will be fine. Rubber is
an abrasive that's softer than the metal, but sandpaper and steel wool will
leave grooves in the surface that can cause problems such as the brushes wearing
out faster, overheating of the contacts, arcing, and even increased RFI. If you
-do- use sandpaper use a very fine grade, follow it up right away with a shot of
silicone spray lube, wipe it dry with a soft rag leaving a very thin film, then
spin that puppy a few times before applying juice.

Old November 13th 03, 01:54 PM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
In , Steveo

[...]