Old December 5th 03, 08:21 PM
Mr Winky

Default New Truck driver & CB

Hi group
Im a brand new CDL Truck driver.
Over the road and need some info on CB.
I currently own a simple cobra 40 channle.
Will it be enough ,,, power,watts,ect, For what im doing. Anything more
that i need to know?
Thanks in advance.

Old December 6th 03, 12:21 AM
Radioman

Mr Winky wrote:

Hi group
Im a brand new CDL Truck driver.
Over the road and need some info on CB.
I currently own a simple cobra 40 channle.
Will it be enough ,,, power,watts,ect, For what im doing. Anything more
that i need to know?
Thanks in advance.

That's plenty to talk to the truck in front of you. For any real
distance, you need a big antenna (CB waves are 36 feet long), and a
sideband radio (set on sideband). AM is not normally a long distance
mode with 4 watts and a mobile antenna. (Skip does happen, though.)
Old December 6th 03, 12:37 AM
Kelly and Robert

I guess it's a personal preference thing.. I like power even if its just 100
watts or so.. If you need the power its there..I found it makes it nice just
to cut through the crap on 19 if needed...But like I said it works for me

Old December 6th 03, 01:00 AM
George Kinzer

get it peaked and tuned, then modifiy it to do 30 watts, get the BEST
antenna system you can afford, installed by someone who knows about antenna
systems on rigs (esp Volvo) and you will enjoy it for years...down the road
buy a new 500 watt linear and go kick some ass..
--
On the internet, no one can hear you scream.

Old December 6th 03, 01:07 AM
Radioman

Kelly and Robert wrote:
like I said

AHHHHH!!! You said it, too.

Old December 6th 03, 01:34 AM
Steveo

"Black Cowboy" wrote:
"Radioman" wrote in message

That's plenty to talk to the truck in front of you. For any real
distance, you need a big antenna (CB waves are 36 feet long), and a
sideband radio (set on sideband). AM is not normally a long distance
mode with 4 watts and a mobile antenna. (Skip does happen, though.)

Who is the ham op in Gastonia NC who chases truckers up & down
the interstate, trying to find out what channel and what kind of radio
they have? Hear he's a real weirdo.

Black Cowboy

Jerry Oxendine?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old December 6th 03, 02:27 AM
Kelly and Robert

Nothing worse than being underpowered might as well leave the rig off..
later

"Radioman" wrote in message

Kelly and Robert wrote:
like I said

AHHHHH!!! You said it, too.

Old December 6th 03, 02:41 AM
Radioman

like I said

AHHHHH!!! You said it, too.

Nothing worse than being underpowered might as well leave the rig off..
later

AM sucks anyway. Too much scratchiness. Must be overmodulation.

AM may have better fidelity then SSB, but I prefer sideband.

BTW, when you have FM mode on your radio, you hear how tinny AM is.

I don't understand what your answer has to do with starting your sentence with

(It makes me laugh when I hear it because I've avoided it!!!!)
Old December 6th 03, 03:41 AM
Jim Hampton

I sure wouldn't know. I doubt if any ham operator would be interested as
long as you are not operating between 28.0 and 29.7 MHz.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old December 6th 03, 03:57 AM
Landshark

"Radioman" wrote in message ...

That's plenty to talk to the truck in front of you. For any real
distance, you need a big antenna (CB waves are 36 feet long), and a
sideband radio (set on sideband). AM is not normally a long distance
mode with 4 watts and a mobile antenna. (Skip does happen, though.)

Who is the ham op in Gastonia NC who chases truckers up & down
the interstate, trying to find out what channel and what kind of radio
they have? Hear he's a real weirdo.

Black Cowboy

I'll bite, never posted
before, but seem to know all about
this newsgroup.

--
The happy people are those who are producing something;
the bored people are those who are consuming much and