Old April 10th 04, 03:54 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Doug Birky / KC8YEC" wrote in message

If everyone could play nice and stay on their own freqs for CW, SSB, etc.
the code requirement could be lifted.

On HF, the SSB activity in the US is limited by regulation to certain band
segments. If someone outside the continental 48 states (there are some
differences for other US areas) is operating voice outside those limits,
they are in violation of the FCC rules and can be fined.

Although CW is legal anywhere in the band, the only time I've heard it
outside the CW segment is when conditions deteriorate during the course of a
conversation and the participants switch to CW but stay on the same
frequency so they don't lose each other.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old April 10th 04, 05:15 PM
Jerry

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"Doug Birky / KC8YEC" wrote in message

If everyone could play nice and stay on their own freqs for CW, SSB,

etc.
the code requirement could be lifted.

On HF, the SSB activity in the US is limited by regulation to certain band
segments. If someone outside the continental 48 states (there are some
differences for other US areas) is operating voice outside those limits,
they are in violation of the FCC rules and can be fined.

Uh, not quite. FCC does not control the activities of other countries who
may have their own band plans. They
have no jurisdiction overseas. Countries sign onto and agree to ITU
regulations according to their own needs.
It also depends on the ITU region.

73

Jerry

Old April 11th 04, 02:24 PM
Jim Foros

Instead of everyone bitching and moaning about code / no code hams, we might
spend all that energy fighting the impending B.P.L. onslaught. If that does
get instituted, we can all use our HF equipment for boat anchors, CW or
not..
"Doug Birky / KC8YEC" wrote in message
I have had my Tech license for about a year now, and have been learning

the
code. I am getting very close to being able to take the code test. I find
it a lot of fun and look forward to operating on the HF bands.

If everyone could play nice and stay on their own freqs for CW, SSB, etc.
the code requirement could be lifted. That would be an ideal situation
where everyone could enjoy amateur radio using their favorite method of
communication. But since that normally doesn't happen, the requirement
stays. If the CW requirement is abolished after I have my licensee, so be
it. But I'll have something the no-coders don't... a working knowledge of
another way of communication that has been around in the past, present,

and
will remain with us in the future.

I have enjoyed this hobby so far, and am looking forward to getting on the
HF bands in the future. I also look to the "old-timers" and "newbies"

alike
for help, guidance, and just good conversation.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Doug/KC8YEC

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...

"Old School" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:18:51 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Old School" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:33:10 -0500, Lou wrote:

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:21:23 +0100, "Helmut"
wrote:

Its not them, the CBLUSSERS AN`D KNUCKLE.... as you call them,

dear
poor
old
man Bruce, making me ashamed to be a ham myself. Its you allone,

and
these
human beeings never stopping to accept decisions from the ITU,

IARU
and
FCC.
International, all the decisions were made and are validated. And

the
little
America will run behind.

I always thought, the Americans, they are the leaders of the

world!
Not
in
Amateur Radio. Their highest class amateurs are too old, stupid

and
shortminded to be.

73 de OE8SOQ
Helmut

Even though I can be included in this group, because of idiots

like
Bruce, I have to agree with Helmut. Unfortunately he makes us ALL

look
bad. We aren't all like him though. Fortunately there are more

good
operators here in America than bad ones like Bruce.

The problem with Bruce is, He is all mouth and no action. America
needs to move forward with all aspects. People like Bruce are the

one
that hold this country back from progress. All I can say now is, he
and his little leet group of CBextra buddies will be all alone. All

of
us other open minded hams like Helmut and HLR will be be having fun
talking on our rigs while you sit there waiting for someone to beep
you.

73
de kf6foz

How does wanting to preserve the past mean he is holding things back?

You
no code geeks are the short sighted ones.

Just because it is old, does NOT MEAN you should throw it out with

the
trash.

Dan/W4NTI

None of us have said anything about throwing it in the trash. Some of
these NO-CODERs are gonna get there code because of the mystery of
code. It's like watching a scrambled cable tv channel, makes you
wonder what is going on. I don't want to see code gone as in never
used again. Keep it part of the Amateur Community, but don't force it
on others. There is other ways of preserving code which I see on Field
Day and Swap Meets also at Club Meetings. Keep it alive by discussing
it and doing competitions like field day.

Dang...something I can agree with.

You know something? I suggested the three license system a long time

ago
to the FCC. And I also suggested a endorsement program. Such as for
various 'specialty' modes. SSTV, CW, Digital, etc. These would

require
the applicant to show some degree of competence in those modes, such as

at
a club.

It was totally ignored of course.

Dan/W4NTI