Old January 2nd 04, 03:23 PM
KAXN-9546

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 05:05:25 GMT, KAXN-9546 wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:03:41 -0500 (EST),
(Twistedhed) wrote:

Sure there is Ray,,,,you never saw a handheld hooked up to a linear?

Well... I've got a 90 watt amp here that I can use on my handheld,
but that tends to cut down on the mobility factor just at LEETLE bit
Raymond Sirois KAXN-9546
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000

Ooop. Sorry.. 90 watt amp is for 2-meter... No amp here for
27MHz... Regardless... 15-20 mile range HT to HT is NOT going to
happen under "real world" conditions. Closest one could get is the
PTT feature offered on the newer generations of cell phones. And even
THEN, you're looking a difficulties regarding coverage areas,
operations inside of structures with large amounts of metal, etc...

Old January 2nd 04, 03:25 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Jim=A0Hampton)
Twist,

He mentioned 'handheld'. He didn't say 'radio

in a vehicle'. I suspect trying to walk around

with a handheld, a linear amp, and four Sears

Die-Hards in a backpack might prove

uncomfortable

My bad! My only excuse is being road weary..I missed the "handheld" the
first time around until I came to Raymond's post, and I certainly
assumed he was longing for mobile use as oposed to something truly
portable.

15 to 20 miles is going to be *very* tough,

unless one of the handhelds is located up four
or five hundred feet in the air. The antenna

and ground system (or, rather, lack thereof) is

going to doom any 27 MHz handheld. MURS

would have a good chance, as long as one of

those units is up hundreds of feet in the air.

FRS is unlikely to have the erp to make the

distance (certainly not a reliable job) even if

one of the handhelds was up 400 or 500 feet

in the air. About the only choice I see is a tech
license and using a repeater. The key here is

'handheld'. However, if Sarge is willing to use

a radio in a car, things change a bit. MURS

would likely make 15 miles with a decent

antenna and tower at the base and a decent

5/8 wave antenna on the car.

73 from Rochester, NY

Jim

Agreed. As you astutely illustrated, I was thinking along the lines of a
half-decent (*?*) handheld attached to a decent mobile antenna with a
tiny bit of juice,,,my bad was interpreting portable as mobile,,,,not
the same thing.

Old January 3rd 04, 02:09 AM
Radioman

That's the opinion of an asshole, I'll file it accordingly.