Old December 23rd 03, 09:14 PM
Reo

Default Looking for 15-20mile handheld CB radio...

Hi...

I am looking for a way to communicate with my wife while I am out doing
errands.

Looking for something hand held with a range of 15-20miles that would either
have no license or a small licensing requirement from the FCC.

Looking for something without a monthly fee also

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Old December 23rd 03, 09:38 PM
Sarge

Reo wrote:
Hi...

I am looking for a way to communicate with my wife while I am out
doing errands.

Looking for something hand held with a range of 15-20miles that would
either have no license or a small licensing requirement from the FCC.

Looking for something without a monthly fee also

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

The ONLY thing I can see is you and wife both get your amateur Tech.
licenses. Then you could work through a repeater ( assuming there is one
near y'all) and be pretty reliable. A CB , FRS or GMRS handheld is just not
gonna cut it. Only other way is the cell phone thing but there goes that
monthly fee.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Old December 23rd 03, 09:42 PM
Reo

"Sarge" wrote in message
Reo wrote:
The ONLY thing I can see is you and wife both get your amateur Tech.
licenses. Then you could work through a repeater ( assuming there is one
near y'all) and be pretty reliable. A CB , FRS or GMRS handheld is just

not
gonna cut it. Only other way is the cell phone thing but there goes that
monthly fee.

What kind of equipment would we need to be able to do this? Also... Where
can I find information on the licensing?

Thanks!

Old December 24th 03, 02:41 AM
sideband

A pair of ICOM IC-V8000's or IC-2100H's for the mobiles, and one for
the house, a couple of antennas for the mobiles and one for the
house.. total investment of around $600.

http://www.qrz.com .. Check the column on the left hand side of the
screen for VE sessions (testing Volunteer Examiners), practice tests,
places to find study manuals, etc.

HTH

73 de SSB

Old December 24th 03, 02:44 AM
sideband

I should add that TexasTowers ( http://www.texastowers.com ) generally
has the best prices on radios, but you can also check with R and L (
http://www.randl.com ) for great prices on these rigs.

Lakeview Antenna ( http://www.hamstick.com ) has a couple of great
options for 2 meter mobile and base antennas.

You'll also want to look for local Amateur clubs to find out more
about the repeaters available in your area. QRZ can help you with that
as well.

73 de SSB

Old December 24th 03, 04:54 AM
KAXN-9546

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:14:43 -0800, "Reo"
wrote:

Hi...

I am looking for a way to communicate with my wife while I am out doing
errands.

Looking for something hand held with a range of 15-20miles that would either
have no license or a small licensing requirement from the FCC.

Looking for something without a monthly fee also

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

What you're looking for isn't available.
Raymond Sirois KAXN-9546
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000
Old December 26th 03, 02:52 AM
Dave or Debby

WHY do you want it hand held? Are you going to MAINLY use it walking
around with it, or in a vehicle? IF you are wanting to use it walking
around with it, 2 meter ham is it. If you want it in vehicles or
house, then CB will be cheaper.
Dave!

Old January 1st 04, 04:03 PM
Twistedhed

Sure there is Ray,,,,you never saw a handheld hooked up to a linear?

Old January 1st 04, 08:29 PM
Jim Hampton

Twist,

He mentioned 'handheld'. He didn't say 'radio in a vehicle'. I suspect
trying to walk around with a handheld, a linear amp, and four Sears
Die-Hards in a backpack might prove uncomfortable

15 to 20 miles is going to be *very* tough, unless one of the handhelds is
located up four or five hundred feet in the air. The antenna and ground
system (or, rather, lack thereof) is going to doom any 27 MHz handheld.
MURS would have a good chance, as long as one of those units is up hundreds
of feet in the air. FRS is unlikely to have the erp to make the distance
(certainly not a reliable job) even if one of the handhelds was up 400 or
500 feet in the air. About the only choice I see is a tech license and
using a repeater. The key here is 'handheld'. However, if Sarge is willing
to use a radio in a car, things change a bit. MURS would likely make 15
miles with a decent antenna and tower at the base and a decent 5/8 wave
antenna on the car.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

From: (Sarge)
Reo wrote:
Hi...
I am looking for a way to communicate with my wife while I am out doing
errands.
Looking for something hand held with a range of 15-20miles that would
either have no license or a small licensing requirement from the FCC.
Looking for something without a monthly fee also
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

The ONLY thing I can see is you and wife both
get your amateur Tech. licenses. Then you

could work through a repeater ( assuming

there is one near y'all) and be pretty reliable. A
CB , FRS or GMRS handheld is just not gonna
cut it. Only other way is the cell phone thing

but there goes that monthly fee.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Couple of 10 meter radios coverted with a couple of low power linears
will do the job perfectly. You get quiet frequencies on the freeband and
at times won't even need the linear. **** on the repeaters, not enough
privacy for what you want.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (