Old January 23rd 04, 09:04 PM
Dummy Load

Default Finally! My ARRL membership pays off!

"Lloyd Davies The GREAT TIME LORD" wrote in
news
Move over! People like me are coming to HF,. and there will be
nothing you can do to stop it. I am so happy.

Ten-Four on that Good-Buddy!! :-)

Old January 23rd 04, 09:11 PM
Steveo

Dummy Load wrote:
"Lloyd Davies The GREAT TIME LORD" wrote in
news
Move over! People like me are coming to HF,. and there will be
nothing you can do to stop it. I am so happy.

Ten-Four on that Good-Buddy!! :-)

"Can ya hear me now?..Good."
Old January 23rd 04, 10:00 PM
Steve Stone

I don't think a batch of newcomers can unleash any more unholy blasphemy
onto the HF bands then what has already been said and done.

Most of the conversations I've heard on HF sound like rowdy barroom talk or
a bunch old maids sitting around on deflated hemorrhoid cushions complaining
about poor health and cat food.

Old January 24th 04, 05:33 AM
gw

"Steve Stone" wrote in message ...
I don't think a batch of newcomers can unleash any more unholy blasphemy
onto the HF bands then what has already been said and done.

Most of the conversations I've heard on HF sound like rowdy barroom talk or
a bunch old maids sitting around on deflated hemorrhoid cushions complaining
about poor health and cat food.

whoopti do.........a lousy 100 watts on hf.......oh let me bow low and
kiss your feet rf gods for allowing a lowly american to use a hundred
freekin watts on my hf radio system........oh thank you
fcc........thank you a lot. man these guys just don't like letting go
of their power do they? what a insult.(but my neighbors appreciate
this fact i am sure). (one period for jim)

Old January 25th 04, 08:44 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"gw" wrote in message
om...
"Steve Stone" wrote in message

I don't think a batch of newcomers can unleash any more unholy blasphemy
onto the HF bands then what has already been said and done.

Most of the conversations I've heard on HF sound like rowdy barroom

talk or
a bunch old maids sitting around on deflated hemorrhoid cushions

complaining
about poor health and cat food.

whoopti do.........a lousy 100 watts on hf.......oh let me bow low and
kiss your feet rf gods for allowing a lowly american to use a hundred
freekin watts on my hf radio system........oh thank you
fcc........thank you a lot. man these guys just don't like letting go
of their power do they? what a insult.(but my neighbors appreciate
this fact i am sure). (one period for jim)

????????????? It is FIFTEEN HUNDRED watts for *most* bands, but why is that
such a big deal? I can easily work the world with 100 watts or less. I have
650 watt (swang?) mobile amp sitting on the shelf. I don't
use it because I don't need to. I don't have the BIG POWAH ego of many hams
AND CBers that MUST have the biggest signal to compensate for other
inadequa-
cies. AND, there is a rule in the Amatuer Service that goes somelike this
(paraphrase): "One should use only the
amount of power necessary to establish and maintain contact with a maximum
of 1500 watts. It also means that one *could* be cited (tho I know of no one
who has) for
using "excess" power--whatever value that may be, which, I assume, is up to
FCC's discretion. In what is considered *normal* conversation, if one
station is being
heard with 100 watts with ease, and the other is using
1000 watts because he just "wants" to, then that is considered excessive.

There is a difference in interpretation in CB and ham radio. For the CBer
(and this is NOT some sort of "cut"), people seem to think that a
conversation is about
"winning" some sort of battle via "louder and prouder" than one's opponent"
(?), or having mo' watts than the other fella, etc. Amateur Radio is
supposed to be about
experimenting, learning how propagation works, and using power judiciously.
Does it always happen that way? No. Human nature, being what it is, has a
competetive element, and some operators take that to extreme. And, yes,
the group of CB ops here that I talk to do it within the law. They aren't
interested in BIG signals all over everywhere; they just want to talk to
their
buddies and that's it. Plenty of hams run around 100 watts because it is
what the radios are designed for. For some of us, it just isn't worth all
the hassle and expense to
have a BIG amp when 100 watts will do all that is needed. With that 100
watts, I have worked Russia, Estonia, Serbia, Europe, S Africa, Australia,
Hawaii,
and all kinds of S. American countries. Didn't no BIG
WATTS to do it.

Jerry

Old January 26th 04, 06:02 PM
Twistedhed

JerryO wrote:
There is a difference in interpretation in CB

and ham radio. For the CBer (and this is NOT

some sort of "cut"), people seem to think that

a conversation is about

"winning" some sort of battle via "louder and

prouder" than one's opponent" (?), or having

mo' watts than the other fella, etc.

From the instant a non-cber turns on a cb, to fiddling with it for a few
days,,,,one thing is noticed,,,power is more range on cb, so that is
probably why folks think that way,,,,,it's the way it is.

Amateur Radio is supposed to be about

experimenting, learning how propagation

works, and using power judiciously. Does it

always happen that way? No. Human nature,

being what it is, has a competetive element,

and some operators take that to extreme. And,
yes, the group of CB ops here that I talk to do

it within the law. They aren't interested in BIG

signals all over everywhere; they just want to

talk to their

buddies and that's it.

Propagation can not be controlled. If they want to talk to their
buddies, assuming they are locals, they need wait their turn g (until
the heavy skip is gone).

Plenty of hams run

around 100 watts because it is what the radios
are designed for.

Plenty of cbers run barefoot for the same reason.

For some of us, it just isn't worth all the hassle
and expense to

have a BIG amp when 100 watts will do all

that is needed. With that 100 watts, I have

worked Russia, Estonia, Serbia, Europe, S

Africa, Australia, Hawaii,

and all kinds of S. American countries. Didn't

no BIG WATTS to do it.

Jerry

_
NOW you're talking my favorite game,,,low power dx,,,but heck, Jerry, I
long ago grew bored doing the world on 100 watts,,,,it wasn't even a
challenge any more......100 watts for across the pond contact is like
dropping a cluster bomb on citizens
because we're looking for someone who may have done something in the
future to endanger our,,,,,umm,,,,what would he have endangered again,
that had to do with us? You get my drift,,,,overkill : )
Try it with 3, 4 or 5 watt maximum,,,,,then try AM,,,then try FM,,,all
with single digit wattage capacity. When you make that contact across
the deep blue sea, experiment and see just how low you can go with the
wattage and try different modes, antennas, radios, etc.

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
ARRL and the local scene KØHB Policy 3 May 17th 04 02:30 AM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro Screwing NON ARRL members! NIW Policy 0 March 23rd 04 11:29 PM
Finally! My ARRL membership pays off! Lloyd Davies The GREAT TIME LORD General 23 February 1st 04 11:58 PM
Finally! My ARRL membership pays off! Lloyd Davies The GREAT TIME LORD Policy 24 February 1st 04 11:58 PM