Old March 20th 04, 04:41 PM
Keith KC8TCQ

Default OT- Stock Market Advice

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one
year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 left of the
original $1,000.00.

With WorldCom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of Bud
(the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the
beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum
recycling price, you would have $214.00.

Based on the above, current investment advice is
to drink heavily and recycle.

It's called the 401-Keg Plan

Old March 21st 04, 12:09 AM
Opus Penguin

Keith KC8TCQ wrote:
If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one
year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.

Wrong!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NT&t=1y

If you bought $1,000 of Nortel 1 year ago, you would have $2,750 today.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 left of the
original $1,000.00.

Wrong. Enron went belly up. You would write off the loss on your taxes,
and the US Government would have eaten $400 of the $1,000 loss, and
additionally you could have used the loss to write off offsetting gains in
other dividends. Maybe not on your 1040EZ, but on a real 1040.

With WorldCom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

Wrong. My MCI stock added me to a class action suit. Everyone with stock
is in this class action. Expect the suit to yield about 40 cents on the
dollar, and as above you would have already written off the loss to offset
other gains.

But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of Bud
(the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the
beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum
recycling price, you would have $214.00.

Wrong. A 12 pack of Bud is about $7.99, plus can deposit (you pay it up
front) and tax. That will yield you about 1,200 cans of beer. Since a can
will get you back 5 cents, that is $60 in returns. Bulk aluminum is about
10% of what you can get by returning the cans to supermarkets, so that
would return $6 to you.

--
________________________
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?

Old March 21st 04, 02:53 PM
jim

Opus Penguin wrote:
Keith KC8TCQ wrote:

[...]

it was a tongue in cheek post to begin with...

Old March 21st 04, 05:44 PM
Opus Penguin

jim wrote:
Opus Penguin wrote:
Keith KC8TCQ wrote:

[...]

It would have been funnier of the numbers were not so completely bull****.
IMHO, of course.
--
________________________
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?

Old March 21st 04, 06:27 PM
jim

Opus Penguin wrote:
jim wrote:

Opus Penguin wrote:

Keith KC8TCQ wrote:

[...]

those numbers may have been relevant last year. My company's stock was
trading around two then and just hit 18 recently. the options they
granted were most welcome...

Old March 22nd 04, 05:14 AM
Landshark

"jim" wrote in message

Opus Penguin wrote:
jim wrote:

Opus Penguin wrote:

Keith KC8TCQ wrote:

[...]

Agreed, my PG just split for
the third time since I bought it in 96.

Landshark

--
Treat people as if they were what
they ought to be and you will help

Old March 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
Opus Penguin

Keith Hosman wrote:
heh yeah I bought 800 shares of Redhat years ago at $1 / share
same with a few other stocks, I'm happy with the choices I made.

"Years ago" for $1?!?!?!? When has Redhat ever sold for $1? Ever?
Just name one day since the stock went public. Just one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=RHAT...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...sp?Symbol=rhat

--
________________________
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?

Old March 23rd 04, 12:31 AM
Steveo

"Opus Penguin" wrote:
Keith Hosman wrote:
heh yeah I bought 800 shares of Redhat years ago at $1 / share
same with a few other stocks, I'm happy with the choices I made.

"Years ago" for $1?!?!?!? When has Redhat ever sold for $1? Ever?
Just name one day since the stock went public. Just one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=RHAT...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...sp?Symbol=rhat

Martha Stewart is on line one again.
Old March 23rd 04, 12:34 AM
Steveo

Steveo wrote:
"Opus Penguin" wrote:
Keith Hosman wrote:
heh yeah I bought 800 shares of Redhat years ago at $1 / share
same with a few other stocks, I'm happy with the choices I made.

"Years ago" for $1?!?!?!? When has Redhat ever sold for $1? Ever?
Just name one day since the stock went public. Just one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=RHAT...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...sp?Symbol=rhat

Martha Stewart is on line one again.

Send lawyers, guns, and money. $-Zevon rip
Old March 23rd 04, 12:50 AM
Twistedhed

Agreed, my PG just split for

the third time since I bought it in 96.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0L andshark

_
I'm too lazy to look it up..Proctor and Gamble or Pacific Gas (and
light)? Three splits? Whattya got? A crystal ball? Right on!

-

Treat people COOL