RadioBanter

-   -   Powering Condenser Mic with Capacitor (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/31637-powering-condenser-mic-capacitor.html)

Chris April 12th 04 06:08 AM

Powering Condenser Mic with Capacitor

I have a Uniden Pro510XL that uses a condenser mic element powered off the
radio. It sounds great but is prone to squealing if there is any power. I
saw somewhere that a guy used a capacitor to power the mic element. This
will probably fix it. Can anyone tell me or point me to a link on how to do
this.

Chris

AKC KennelMaster April 12th 04 07:17 AM

"Chris" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a Uniden Pro510XL that uses a condenser mic element powered off the
radio. It sounds great but is prone to squealing if there is any power. I
saw somewhere that a guy used a capacitor to power the mic element. This
will probably fix it. Can anyone tell me or point me to a link on how to

do
this.

Chris

You might look up the old K40 line of mics. They had one that was a
processor/amp, that used a cap to supply power. Of course, to supply power
to a transistor as opposed to an IC, this might not really be a workable
scenario.

I Am Not George April 12th 04 06:44 PM

"AKC KennelMaster" wrote in message ...
"Chris" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a Uniden Pro510XL that uses a condenser mic
element powered off the
radio. It sounds great but is prone to squealing if there is any power. I
saw somewhere that a guy used a capacitor to power the
mic element. This
will probably fix it. Can anyone tell me or point me to a link on how to

do
this.

Chris

You might look up the old K40 line of mics. They had one that was a
processor/amp, that used a cap to supply power. Of course, to
supply power
to a transistor as opposed to an IC, this might not really be a workable
scenario.

When you say prone to squealing if there is any power I dont know what
you mean. If you mean you are using an amp then you should know those
radios are not designed for that. RF will get into the unsheilded
areas esp. the eletret mike. The capacitor is already there in the
citcuit you dont need another one, just dont run power and youll have
no problem.

Chris April 12th 04 09:54 PM

You guessed it right. Just a small amp. I know the Pro510XL has problems
because power is supplied to the mic by the radio. If it were powered by a
battery, it would be fine. There is, however, an alternate method in which
the power is supplied to the mic element by a capacitor. It is charged
during receive and then switched over to power the electret element during
transmit. I just don't remember the details. BTW, it's nice to see some
people willing to discuss radios and help rather than trashing the NG.
Thanks and 73's.

Chris
"I Am Not George" wrote in message
m...
"AKC KennelMaster" wrote in message

ink.net...

I Am Not George April 12th 04 10:09 PM

"Chris" wrote:
You guessed it right. Just a small amp. I know the Pro510XL has

problems
because power is supplied to the mic by the radio. If it were powered

by
battery, it would be fine. There is, however, an alternate method in

which
the power is supplied to the mic element by a capacitor. It is

charged
during receive and then switched over to power the electret element

during
transmit. I just don't remember the details. BTW, it's nice to see

some
people willing to discuss radios and help rather than trashing the

NG.
Thanks and 73's.

You might be thinking of an rf bypass capcitor. in any case it doesnt
matter how the mike element is powered it matters how the RF is
getting in to it. anything could carry rf, the mike cable, the ground
line, the ptt line. as I said the cb is not designed for more than 4w
so they get away with cheap design in that area. If you want to
persue troubleshooting it try Frank G or one of the hams in this group

MrTimNebo April 12th 04 10:24 PM

a uniden pc68xl is a much better choice in a radio.

Steveo April 12th 04 11:25 PM

(MrTimNebo) wrote:
a uniden pc68xl is a much better choice in a radio.

Bring back TimNebo.com! :)

George Kinzer April 13th 04 04:23 AM

"power is supplied to the mic by the radio"
WTF? huh?

--
On the internet, no one can hear you modulate.

---

jim April 13th 04 11:15 PM

Steveo wrote:
(MrTimNebo) wrote:

a uniden pc68xl is a much better choice in a radio.

Bring back TimNebo.com! :)

seconded...

Steveo April 14th 04 12:15 AM

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:
(MrTimNebo) wrote:

a uniden pc68xl is a much better choice in a radio.

Bring back TimNebo.com! :)

seconded...

I wish I would of saved the pics.