Old April 12th 04, 06:08 AM
Chris

Default Powering Condenser Mic with Capacitor

I have a Uniden Pro510XL that uses a condenser mic element powered off the
radio. It sounds great but is prone to squealing if there is any power. I
saw somewhere that a guy used a capacitor to power the mic element. This
will probably fix it. Can anyone tell me or point me to a link on how to do
this.

Chris

Old April 12th 04, 07:17 AM
AKC KennelMaster

"Chris" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a Uniden Pro510XL that uses a condenser mic element powered off the
radio. It sounds great but is prone to squealing if there is any power. I
saw somewhere that a guy used a capacitor to power the mic element. This
will probably fix it. Can anyone tell me or point me to a link on how to

do
this.

Chris

You might look up the old K40 line of mics. They had one that was a
processor/amp, that used a cap to supply power. Of course, to supply power
to a transistor as opposed to an IC, this might not really be a workable
scenario.

Old April 12th 04, 06:44 PM
I Am Not George

"AKC KennelMaster" wrote in message ...
"Chris" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a Uniden Pro510XL that uses a condenser mic
element powered off the
radio. It sounds great but is prone to squealing if there is any power. I
saw somewhere that a guy used a capacitor to power the
mic element. This
will probably fix it. Can anyone tell me or point me to a link on how to

do
this.

Chris

You might look up the old K40 line of mics. They had one that was a
processor/amp, that used a cap to supply power. Of course, to
supply power
to a transistor as opposed to an IC, this might not really be a workable
scenario.

When you say prone to squealing if there is any power I dont know what
you mean. If you mean you are using an amp then you should know those
radios are not designed for that. RF will get into the unsheilded
areas esp. the eletret mike. The capacitor is already there in the
citcuit you dont need another one, just dont run power and youll have
no problem.
Old April 12th 04, 09:54 PM
Chris

You guessed it right. Just a small amp. I know the Pro510XL has problems
because power is supplied to the mic by the radio. If it were powered by a
battery, it would be fine. There is, however, an alternate method in which
the power is supplied to the mic element by a capacitor. It is charged
during receive and then switched over to power the electret element during
transmit. I just don't remember the details. BTW, it's nice to see some
people willing to discuss radios and help rather than trashing the NG.
Thanks and 73's.

Chris
"I Am Not George" wrote in message
m...
"AKC KennelMaster" wrote in message

ink.net...

Old April 12th 04, 10:24 PM
MrTimNebo

a uniden pc68xl is a much better choice in a radio.

Old April 13th 04, 04:23 AM
George Kinzer

"power is supplied to the mic by the radio"
WTF? huh?

--
On the internet, no one can hear you modulate.

---