Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13th 04, 12:08 AM
Data Flux

Default Modern Equivalents of RCI-2950/70

About a decade ago, I owned one of the original RCI-2970 radios that
permitted TX/RX from 26.0 MHz to 32.0 MHz by moving J2 from P3-P4 to
P1-P2, along with a "CB channel mode" -- complete with channels "3A",
"7A", "11A", "15A", and 19A" -- by moving J1 from P1-P2 to P2-P3.

My understanding is that Ranger re-engineered its RCI-2950 and 2970
models several times, and that with each new version, modifications
became more difficult. (I.e., the second generation lacked the "CB
channel mode" and required shorting all of J2's pins to ground for
continuous 26-32 MHz coverage; and that the third generation needed
some kind of add-on module to obtain said coverage; and that alas,
the fourth generation, for US retail, was totally unmodifiable.)

Here's my question. Are there any 10 meter ham rigs around today
that can easily be modified for 26-ish to 32-ish MHz TX/RC coverage,
AND that feature all the RCI-2970's important bells and whistles,
such as:

- AM/FM TX PEP at least ~50-75 watts, SSB TX PEP at least ~100-150
- variable TX power knob (versus cheesy "high/medium/low" switches)
- AM/FM/LSB/USB modes on any frequency
- discrete tuning ability (i.e. 27.4150 MHz, 27.4151 MHz, etc.)
- roger beep (very useful for extreme DX on SSB)
- SWR display
- split frequency TX/RX
- direct frequency access for entire coverage range (i.e., I don't
want something that behaves like a "slider" modification where you
see one channel/frequency on the display but are actually somewhere
else according to an add-on switch; I'd like to simply be able to
tune to 27.4150 MHz, and actually be there)
- finally, I'd prefer a mobile rig versus a base

Anything like this still exist, under $500 new?

Thanks in advance, folks!