Old August 13th 04, 12:08 AM
Data Flux

Default Modern Equivalents of RCI-2950/70

About a decade ago, I owned one of the original RCI-2970 radios that
permitted TX/RX from 26.0 MHz to 32.0 MHz by moving J2 from P3-P4 to
P1-P2, along with a "CB channel mode" -- complete with channels "3A",
"7A", "11A", "15A", and 19A" -- by moving J1 from P1-P2 to P2-P3.

My understanding is that Ranger re-engineered its RCI-2950 and 2970
models several times, and that with each new version, modifications
became more difficult. (I.e., the second generation lacked the "CB
channel mode" and required shorting all of J2's pins to ground for
continuous 26-32 MHz coverage; and that the third generation needed
some kind of add-on module to obtain said coverage; and that alas,
the fourth generation, for US retail, was totally unmodifiable.)

Here's my question. Are there any 10 meter ham rigs around today
that can easily be modified for 26-ish to 32-ish MHz TX/RC coverage,
AND that feature all the RCI-2970's important bells and whistles,
such as:

- AM/FM TX PEP at least ~50-75 watts, SSB TX PEP at least ~100-150
- variable TX power knob (versus cheesy "high/medium/low" switches)
- AM/FM/LSB/USB modes on any frequency
- discrete tuning ability (i.e. 27.4150 MHz, 27.4151 MHz, etc.)
- roger beep (very useful for extreme DX on SSB)
- SWR display
- split frequency TX/RX
- direct frequency access for entire coverage range (i.e., I don't
want something that behaves like a "slider" modification where you
see one channel/frequency on the display but are actually somewhere
else according to an add-on switch; I'd like to simply be able to
tune to 27.4150 MHz, and actually be there)
- finally, I'd prefer a mobile rig versus a base

Anything like this still exist, under $500 new?

Thanks in advance, folks!
Old August 13th 04, 04:06 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:08:48 GMT, "Data Flux" -spam
wrote:

[...]

If you looked at the spectral output of a 2970, you wouldn't be so
quick to want another one.

You are MUCH better off looking for a used HF ham rig for that $500,
and you'll be far happier, than using a hacked up CB design.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Thanks in advance, folks!

Old August 14th 04, 01:47 AM
Data Flux

wrote:

[...]

Isn't that what I just asked for? Another HF ham rig? The RCI-2970
was technically sold as a ham radio. I'm trying to find another 10
meter ham rig, with the aforementioned features, that can be modified
easily to cover at least 26.0-29.6999 TX/RX.
Old August 15th 04, 04:53 PM
Steve

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:47:23 GMT, "Data Flux" -spam wrote:

If you looked at the spectral output of a 2970, you wouldn't be so
quick to want another one.

You are MUCH better off looking for a used HF ham rig for that $500,
and you'll be far happier, than using a hacked up CB design.

Isn't that what I just asked for? Another HF ham rig? The RCI-2970
was technically sold as a ham radio. I'm trying to find another 10
meter ham rig, with the aforementioned features, that can be modified
easily to cover at least 26.0-29.6999 TX/RX.

No, what you asked for is another out of band modifiable radio that is a
thinly disguised CB radio marketed to CBers as an "amateur" radio. You want
something like Copper sells, not the kinds of radios that AES, HRO, or any of
the other amateur radio dealers sell. The difference in quality is a dead give
away too. The RCI29XX radios have managed an uncomfortable crossover, but are
still considered extended range CB radios by any serious radio enthusiast.

As an aside, a lot of radios are labeled as "amateur" radios because
they are sold as (wink, wink) 10 meter radios. Hams wouldn't and don't buy these
radios, CBers do, and modify them (hell, most retailers sell an option to have
the radio modified for you by them) for extended operation. Most so called 10
meter radios are sold as AM/FM only when you'd be hard pressed to find a ham
today that would use AM. Where is the popular CW mode that no respectful amateur
radio would be without? That and these are "channeled" radios and not equipped
with VFO tuning. 10KHz stepping is just ludicrous when trying to use SSB. 10 KHz
steps severely limit the usefulness of the radio when you can not talk to
someone using a VFO. FM is such a spectrum hog, that it is only used in the
uppermost portion of the 10 meter band, and usually for repeater use. SSB,
specifically USB, is the mode of choice on 10 meters. And finally, you would be
hard pressed to find a ham dealer that sells these radios. You find them at
places like Copper that sell exclusively to CBers who are entrenched in their
inefficient, archaic AM mode, when clearly, SSB is a far superior mode that
delivers the most bang for the buck, and the greatest range.

Steve

Old August 16th 04, 12:03 AM
I Am Not George

Steve wrote in message . ..
[...]

lol be prepared steve they are going to attack you and call you gay
for telling the truth

Old August 16th 04, 02:30 AM
Dr.X

"I Am Not George" wrote in message
m...
Steve wrote in message

. ..
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:47:23 GMT, "Data Flux" -spam

lol be prepared steve they are going to attack you and call you gay
for telling the truth

Why would 'they' attack him for speaking the truth?

-Dr.X (wondering who 'they' are)

Old August 16th 04, 03:02 AM
I Am Not George

Dr.X wrote:
lol be prepared steve they are going to attack you and call you gay
for telling the truth

Why would 'they' attack him for speaking the truth?

-Dr.X (wondering who 'they' are)

wait til Twisty comes back he will go on the rampage to defend cbers
using 10 meter radios

that is unless he got his nuts blown off by the huricaine
Old September 3rd 04, 05:36 AM
Chris

I'm sorry but I like my 2950. It may not have as pure of an output as some
other radios, but I guaratee it's better than any CB. BTW, the 2950 has 100
Hz steps and an analog clarifier. There's no reason you can't talk to
someone with a VFO. It also has CW. I paid just over $200 for mine brand
new, not $500. I guess my biggest question is if you hate CB radios so much,
what are you doing here?

Chris

Old August 16th 04, 03:39 PM
Dave Hall

wrote:

[...]

The RCI-2970 may have been marketed as a 10 meter rig, but its design
is little more than a "souped up" CB rig. The 2970 especially, was of
such a poor design that there were numerous reliability issues as well
as transmitter spurious emission problems. If you want to live in
harmony with your neighbors, that is not the rig you want.

When I refer to a "ham" rig, I'm talking about a REAL ham rig, such as
an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood, or other such full coverage H.F rigs. Rigs
like this are much better designed, and will meet technical emissions
specs.

Used Icom 735's can be had for $400. Yaesu FT-757's can be had for
$400. Kenwood TS-440's can also be had for around the $400 range. All
of them will blow the socks off of the so-called 10 meter only radios.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj