Old September 30th 04, 11:08 AM
Abraham

Default Messenger M800.. is this a good amp??

Hey all, I was at a garage sale 2 weeks ago looking at some old CB
radios, when I spotted a big amp-looking thing in the guys garage
under some rubble, I immedeatly recognized it as an amp because of the
fins and the pl-259's. I asked the guy how much he wanted for it but
he said it used to belong to his father and it wasnt for sale. It
looked alot like an Messengfer M4V but it reads "M800" on the front of
it, the back says 600 watts AVG - 800 watts PEP, and it has one big
fan on the top of it towards the rear, four little "leg" brackets on
the bottom with rubber feet.
so today I was driving down that same street and the guy recognizes my
car I guess, and waves me down, he said he changed his mind and he
wants $400.00 for it and he will throw in a Wilson 1000. He claims
that it does 800 watts with only 10 watts input.. it has no switches
on the front but comes with a remote that plugs into the back. Ive
never heard this guy on the radio in my area, or his father.. mustve
been before my time. It does turn on and it clicks when you key
up...He said that Ill probably have to put in a new alternator if I
wanna run it in my car. So I need some input from some of the
knowledgable guys here, what do you think? Is this a good amp? Is this
a good price? what are some things to watch out for? and did e.f
johnson ever make these amps?? Im asking because at the time I seen
it, he had it hooked up to a johnson CB and I remember johnson did
make a line of "messenger" radios.... anyways, anyone please let me
know if this is a good deal or not. Thanks.
Old October 10th 04, 01:47 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Abraham:

Again when the Messenger amps went to the 2SC2789 transistors in them,
they didn't work all that well.

I have a Messenger 3V that has 4 each SD1446 Transistors in it, and it
works like a champ since 1981!

I would want to see it work with my watt meter in line, before dishing
out any dough ray me. This has always been a good policy before buying a
radio, or amp. This has a tendacy to reduce the price at times,
hehehehe. Especially when the radio or amp doesn't work. I never buy a
used radio or amp without testing it first.

If it really does have a output of 800 watts you need a large
alternator, something like 100 to 150 amp capability. And you will need
a good antenna. A Radio Shack gutter mount will NOT work, it would just
set there and catch fire. Suggest a 102 inch stainless steel whip, a 96
inch Francis Amazer Fiberglass whip, or a body mounted Wilson 1000. Use
the larger coax like LMR-400, RG213, or 9913.

I replaced my stock 60 amp alternator with a 150 amp alternator. Needed
the ground wire replaced, removed the 12 gauge wire and installed a 4
gauge wire from the alternator frame to the batteriers (-) Negative
terminal. This was even in the alternators installation instructions. A
good call. I also put in a 4 gauge wire from the alternator output to
the Batteries (+) Positive terminal.

You certainly do not want a dime holding up a dollar, having a high
current alternator with small wires. BIG Ten-4!

Running say 2 or 4 gauge wires from the Battery to the amp will have to
be done. I use old gargen hose to wrap the Positive 2 or 4 gauge wire
going thru the fire wall, or put a hole in the bottom of the chassie.
And then seal it up with Black RTV Silicon Rubber. And a fuse at the
battery is also a good call. Its also a good call to use the hose to
protect the positive wire, and keeping it away from the muffler.

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert ....just down the road ah ways from the
fillin station.

Miss Dinah down at the fillin station, is havin a special on thermal
socks, Long underware, Nice heavy Jackets, and blue jeans. She says: "No
need to drive into LA or Vagas, when I got it all" If only she would
smile once and a while............