Old January 15th 05, 02:16 AM
Richard

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
Hi. If I want to talk abrefoot and run a dipole for 27 MHz in my attic, I
noticed there are numerous versions. The vertical is out for obvious

reasons. So
there are inverted and horizontal. Is there any version I am better off

using
barefoot?

Vinnie S.

If you don't want to mess with punching a few holes in your roof, then go
with a tower.
You'd only need 5 10 foot sections at the most.
Rohn 25 towers are simple and quick to put together.
You can find used ones dirt cheap at practically any "ham fest".

With such a small base, 18" or so, setting the tower in a cement filled hole
is a snap.
You could even use a foldup section with it.
We've lifted 40ft upright with no trouble.
Under 60 feet, you don't even need guy wires.
But one set at 40 ft might not be a bad idea.
Set it up next to the house and you don't need to worry about trenching the
coax.

If you go the tree route, and trench the coax, put it in conduit or even
some pvc pipe.
And for 150 feet, I'd use Rg8, not 58.

Old January 15th 05, 02:40 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:16:05 -0600, "Richard" wrote:

If you go the tree route, and trench the coax, put it in conduit or even
some pvc pipe.
And for 150 feet, I'd use Rg8, not 58.

This is the route I am going to go long term, because I want to go ham
eventually. In the meantime, I will stick something like a Firestik in the attc
with some wires to form a ground plain. And no, I am not hooking up an amp. And
if I was, I would tell you I would. I already have one in my car. I am not
getting one for my house.

Vinnie S.
Old January 15th 05, 05:50 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
This is the route I am going to go long term, because I want to go ham
eventually. In the meantime, I will stick something like a Firestik in the

attc
with some wires to form a ground plain. And no, I am not hooking up an

amp.

Check the following link out. The idea looks interesting. They're not cheap
but it looks like want you want; small - no ground plane required - low
profile. They have several models available, Ham bands and one for 11m CB
too.

http://www.wimo.de/anteh_e.htm

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old January 15th 05, 07:32 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:40:52 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

snip
If the wire will work just as good, I wil do that.

It will work fine. Just make sure all the wires have a good connection
to the shield of the coax.

snip
I wouldn't even mess with running a coax out that far. It's just not
worth the effort. You would be better off using what you have around
the house. Got a flagpole?

No. And I can't put one in front of my house, because the septic drain field is
there.

Septic fields have very low ground resistance and make for great
outdoor antennas. They are also an ideal place to sink a couple ground
rods for lightning protection..... something you shouldn't ignore even
with an indoor antenna.

Old January 15th 05, 03:48 PM
Steveo

Vinnie S. wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:24:20 GMT, Lancer wrote:
Maybe we should go over there and build one for him?

Judging the posts by you 3, no thanks.

Let's put this up, Mr Enzo!

http://www.qsl.net/k7hg/Images/antenna.jpg