Old March 23rd 05, 11:03 PM
U Know Who

Default Texas City Explosion

Several people lost their lives here today.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:19 PM
Vinnie S.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:03:49 GMT, "U Know Who" wrote:

Several people lost their lives here today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7277890/

Dear God. Years ago, there was a legendary huge explosion at a Texas waterfront
plant. I can't recall the name. A ton of people died. Was this the same city?

Vinnie S.
Old March 23rd 05, 11:35 PM
U Know Who

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:03:49 GMT, "U Know Who" wrote:

Several people lost their lives here today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7277890/

Dear God. Years ago, there was a legendary huge explosion at a Texas
waterfront
plant. I can't recall the name. A ton of people died. Was this the same
city?

Vinnie S.

Yes, it was. It was when 2 ships blew up in the harbor in 1947.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:39 PM
Vinnie S.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:35:48 GMT, "U Know Who" wrote:

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:03:49 GMT, "U Know Who" wrote:

Several people lost their lives here today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7277890/

Dear God. Years ago, there was a legendary huge explosion at a Texas
waterfront
plant. I can't recall the name. A ton of people died. Was this the same
city?

Vinnie S.

Yes, it was. It was when 2 ships blew up in the harbor in 1947.

Here it is:

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...olitan/txcity/

That city is jinxed. I remember the video from this. The pictures don't do it
justice. The video was incedible, even at it's age.

Vinnie S.
Old March 24th 05, 01:10 AM
Jeff Mayner

U Know Who wrote:
Several people lost their lives here today.

The only outlet (radio) I heard anything other than a short blurb about this
terrible incident was "Air America", that bastion of liberal commies. Every
thing else was "Schaivo, all the time".

I haven't watched any TV yet today. Have they been better reporting it?

Jeff

Old March 24th 05, 01:11 AM
Jeff Mayner

wrote:
Several people lost their lives here today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7277890/

Dear God. Years ago, there was a legendary huge explosion at a Texas
waterfront
plant. I can't recall the name. A ton of people died. Was this the
same city?

Vinnie S.

Yes, it was. It was when 2 ships blew up in the harbor in 1947.

Didn't they have fertalizer on board? Something like that? I remember
pictures of the devastation.

Jeff

Old March 24th 05, 05:37 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Jeff Mayner" wrote in
message
U Know Who wrote:
"Vinnie S." wrote in

message

wrote:
Several people lost their lives here today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7277890/

Dear God. Years ago, there was a legendary

huge explosion at a Texas
waterfront
plant. I can't recall the name. A ton of

people died. Was this the
same city?

Vinnie S.

Yes, it was. It was when 2 ships blew up in

the harbor in 1947.

Didn't they have fertalizer on board?

It was specifically Ammonium Nitrate. Ammonium
Nitrate is used as the main component in some
fertilizer products for farm use. I have a picture
in an old chemistry book of mine that shows a
locomotive blown off its tracks at least a mile
from the explosion site. That should give you an
idea of the force and size of the explosion.

Ammonium Nitrate is classified as a high explosive
but requires either a great deal of heat (ANFO -
Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil) or something like a
blasting cap to set it off. In the sixties I
believe several student radical groups used a
version of the ANFO concept to do a few bombings.
Ammonium Nitrate under low heat however will cause
it to decompose in to water vapor and nitrous
oxide (laughing gas).

73's de,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL member
NCI member

"You ask what Morse Code is good for? I'll tell
you. Morse
Code is used exclusively by Electronics Based life
forms to
communicate amongst themselves using advanced
Organic
Digital Signal Processors, running state of the
art Artificial
Intelligence Software, to perform the highly
complex
transmit encryption, receive decryption and error
correction
functions."

Old March 24th 05, 05:37 AM
Steveo

"U Know Who" wrote:
Several people lost their lives here today.

Bummer.
Old March 24th 05, 05:43 AM
Steveo

"Jeff Mayner" wrote:
Didn't they have fertalizer on board? Something like that? I remember
pictures of the devastation.

Jeff

The drivers always freaks out when I buy 18 tons of urea and start stacking
it 3 pallets high in my warehouse. Can't blame them, but I donut order
enough kerosene to make the recipe.

Radio call letters: What do they mean? Mike Terry Broadcasting 34 March 7th 05 03:47 AM
For sale: Partial interest in LPTV. East coast beach resort city. Meyer Gottesman Broadcasting 0 December 19th 04 11:59 PM
Base Closures N8KDV Shortwave 10 January 20th 04 01:39 AM
For sale: Part ownership in large TX city 1 KW fulltime AM. Meyer Gottesman Broadcasting 0 January 4th 04 11:04 PM