Old March 29th 05, 02:26 PM

Default Uniden PC78 Elite vs Cobra 19 LTD

I purchased a Cobra 19 LTD because it was on sale. When I got home, I
saw that the Uniden PC78 Elite was on sale. There is not a big price
difference between the two and I know the Uniden PC78 Elite is the top
cb that they offer. Is it worth driving up to the store to exchange
it? Which cb is better?

Thanks in advance,

pcpro

Old March 29th 05, 04:32 PM
PowerHouse Communications

Uniden products are (or at least were, not sure about the newer models)
better quality all around...

oups.com...

Old March 29th 05, 08:13 PM

I decided to go with the Uniden PC78 Elite Cb radio. It is very nice!
I think better looking then the cobra, but I am not sure about the
performance. I am trying to hook this cb up in my house. I have a AC
to DC converter which I purchased from Radio Shack. It converts it to
13.8v DC which is the correct voltage for the cb. I just put the bare
wires leads into the correct spots on the converter and turn it on. My
only question is about the antenna. I have an old K40 magnet mount
antenna that is like 5' tall, but it is not in the best shape but still
works fine. I also purchased a cheap 3' flex antenna which does not
work too bad. I have not tried to figure out the range because I am
afraid of damaging my cb. Many people say that a good ground plane is
needed and you need to ground the anteanna. Do I necessarily need to
ground the antenna since I put the anteanna out my window when I want
to use it. There is no metal outside my window at all. Putting an
antenna on the roof is definatelly not an option. I do not want to buy
another antenna either. Is there some way that I can just modify the
antenna or rig it up somehow to ground it if it is necessary?

Thanks in advance,

pcpro

PowerHouse Communications wrote:
Uniden products are (or at least were, not sure about the newer

models)
better quality all around...

oups.com...

Old March 30th 05, 06:18 AM
George Kinzer

A mobile CB antenna can be used as a base antenna by
mounting it on the top of a metal pipe.
The metal pipe serves as ground connection for the antenna,
taking the place of the body of the vehicle.
Remember to run a separate ground wire to a proper grounding rod
for lightning protection.

Old March 30th 05, 02:09 PM

Do I still need to have a ground wire to run to a ground rod if the
antenna is not planning to be perminent. I can just put the antenna on
my roof. It is no problem to do that, but I can not keep a perminent
mounted antenna on my house. I am only going to put it out there when
it is not raining. Also, you state to mount the antenna on a metal
pipe, should I mount it to something metal outside? How much metal do
you think is the minimum to provide a ground plane? The only thing big
around my house that is metal, is the garage door. That would be a
problem to mount the magnet to it because i would have to run outside
to mount it, unmount it, and hope that no one decides to open the door
while it is attached.

Thank you

pcpro