Old May 11th 05, 04:58 PM
John Smith

What is wrong with correcting the law... instead of applying patches to a
worn out system? Write your congressman today!!!

Most of these ancient institutions and methods were created when people were
still afraid of electricity--thought it took a genius to use
radio--INDEED--the ignorant masses viewed radio as almost "Magic!"

Times have changed, kids run 10 watt Ghz transmitters on 2100 Mhz and tear
up business wireless networks for miles--important business and public
communications are affected--these kids need an outlet for their
energies....

The world has changed drastically--the laws still reflect stoneage beliefs
and structure...

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...
From: (Dave Hall)
Yes, that it primarily the left who are

spearheading an intensified effort to remove

all signs of religion from government

processes, even though most have been

around since this country was founded.

So has crime. What is wrong with seeking to remove that of which the law
clearly defines? You are one of the most vocal in this group to
redundantly invoke that just because something is practiced far and wide
doesn't make it legal or right,,,,but of course, it does when you agree
with it.

Old May 11th 05, 05:17 PM
John Smith

Oh no, he is nothing special alright... I imagine your IQ has been tested
and blows him away...

And, surely you have rubbed elbows with colleges such as he has, perhaps you
even share many of the same friends--too bad about Carl Sagans' passing--I
bet you miss him... and hold many as close personal friends--the rich
exchange you have with them keeps you quite up to date--I can tell from your
text...

Nope, no one would ever confuse you with an "Arm-Chair-Genius."

Warmest regards,
John
From: (John Smith)
Well, that is certainly "YOUR OPINION"--I see little else there...
Interesting you should cram Steven into such a small bottle--where are
you lecturing this year--if it will be in a city close--I may come and
see what you have to say...
Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six pack--step away!!! ... and go do something...
_

Old May 11th 05, 05:58 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 11 May 2005 06:40:20 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Dave:

You said, "So, while the FCC might not directly
"own" the airwaves, the U.S. government does."

This is grossly mis-leading!!! The gov't owns NOTHING!!!!

Well then they are certainly operating as if they do. They collect the
proceeds from spectrum auctions. That makes the government a de-facto
owner of this commodity.

They are a group
of indivduals who are elected, appointed, and hired to do the citizens
business. They have a job to do--if they either cannot or will not do it
without becomming self-serving employees--they simply need fired.

Evidently the "citizens",collectively, do not see the problem with the
FCC administering the airwaves in the manner than they currently do.

These public servants, from the president on down, need to be worried about
what the citizens of this country need and want--and what the citizens of
this country are telling them to do.

By and large, the citizens are not screaming for mass chunks of radio
spectrum to use.

Just like if I hired an employee to help me in a private business--they are
directly answerable to their employers...

What the gov't needs to do is set aside a bit of the radio spectrum for use
in conducing the citizens business--some for commercial use--some for
hobby-expermental use... and the rest IS THE CITIZENS!!!!!

To do what with? Besides, after you divide up the spectrum between
legitimate commercial services (which are usually available to the
citizens as in cell phone and wireless internet), public services
(police, fire, EMS etc.) government entities (FBI, USGS, Forest
service, military etc.) and hobby use (Ham and CB), there isn't much
left.

That's why the FCC operates as it does.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Old May 11th 05, 06:13 PM
John Smith

Well, yeah, property is pretty scarce out there .5 Mhz to tens or hundreds
of Ghz... hardly a spare megahertz anywhere... and yeah, a quick tune
across just a 30 Mhz sw is proof this is all in use and quite congested...

....but, I don't think so... and the citizens do own the spectrum--even if a
dicatator claims it in a foreign land--he is mistaken--and even if a whole
gov't claims it--they are mistaken... even if the public servants of the
USA think it is theirs--they are mistaken...

Really, this truth is so obivious I can't even imagine anyone arguing it...
although some may hold "religious views" on it, or be willing to wage "holy
wars" over it to serve their self-serving reasons, beliefs...

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 11th 05, 06:50 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:06:41 -0400, (I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:

From:
(Dave*Hall)
On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:03:16 -0400,
(I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:
(So you have been mistakenly telling us for years, yet, there is no
damper affecting those of us who play on it regularly for free or a few
paltry bucks..)

Illegally. Just as there are people who

trespass on private or otherwise posted land,

and never get caught either.

Physical trespass can carry a *criminal* charge..talking on the freeband
can not.

There are criminal provisions in the
communications act of 1934.

We are speaking of freebanders on the eleven meter band.

Who are radio pirates, operating unauthorized radio transmitters. The
provisions in the communications act of 1934 do not differentiate
which bands unauthorized transmitters can incur criminal penalties.
If the FCC chose to do so, freebanders can be charged criminally. The
fact that they have not chosen to do any more than sporadic citations,
does not diminish the fact that they could if they chose to.

But the point is that nothing will happen if you
are never caught. But the fact that you are not
likely to get caught does not diminish the
illegality

No one ever said it did.

and societal irresponsibility of
engaging in the acts.

*
In order for you to claim such a "societal irresponsibility" exists,
there first must exist a "societal responsibility" somehwere other than
your mind regarding such (cb radio)....can you cite it?

Societal responsibility goes far beyond CB radio. It goes hand in hand
with morality, consideration, and just plain old fashioned good
manners.

The FCC rules do carry criminal as well as
civil penalties should they choose to apply
them, if the case warrants it.

Please cite these criminal penalties referring the freeband or simple
dx.

Please refer to the communications act of 1934 and related parts.

_
I would hedge zero times have you actually confronted a real criminal or
law breaker in the act and in person.

I certainly would if the opportunity presented
itself.

It presents itself daily to you in the form of speeders,,a act that can
cause physical damage or death when violated, which carry real criminal
pealties, unlike dxing or freebanding. When was the last time you
confronted one and how was it done?

If I were to confront one speeder, I'd have to confront all of them,
and I cannot do that. I have, on occasion, prevented speeding by
paralleling someone in the right lane holding the legal speed limit.

Besides, speeding is not a criminal offense, it's a simple summary
offense. What it may or may not lead to is irrelevant, and calls for
speculation.

or on bands where public access is
set aside.

Or not. Don't forget many of the freqs that have been abandoned.

Abandoned does not mean "open".

Right,,,it means not being used.To use your analogy regarding physical
property,,,,if a lot or property is abandoned, and one tends the ground,
takes care of it, and pays the tax on it for x amount of years, the
often land becomes the property of the caretaker who has been taking
care of it and paying the taxes.

Squatters rights. And interesting angle. I wonder if someone has tried
that tactic on the FCC in regard to the freeband area of 11 meters.
The principle is similar.

There are many abandoned buildings around.

But you are still not allowed to trespass there.

Yet, many people use these abandon buildings on a regular basis with
immunity. Bums,,,vagrants, crackheads,

..... Freebanders. I see the similarities.

See above for examples of a form of citizen eminent domain.

Yes, and I'm waiting to see someone attempt to use this reasoning to
obtain the legal authorization of the freeband

_
I'll
reiterate what you already found in google on many
occasion,,,,,education is the key.

Much like a public park.

Nothing like a public park, as breaking the law you speak of (trespass)
can result in criminal charges, unlike talking on the freeband.

Look at FCC regs again. There are certainly
criminal penalties associated with them.

There is,,,but not with simple dx or freebanding.

Again, the regs do not differentiate which bands will carry those
criminal penalties for unauthorized use. Simple dx on the legal 40
channels is a nothing citation. But couple it with running on
unauthorized freqs, and the severity increases. The only thing you
have in your favor is that the FCC is not motivated enough to do much
about it. It's not that it's any less illegal, it's only that they
don't care enough.

Ask your buddy "Bob-noxious" about the
criminal penalties associated with pirate radio.

Another realm.

No, it's not. Not in principle. The only thing that's different is
that Bob's visibility to commercial (paying) interests is what forces
the FCC to pay closer attention.

_
This
concept has proved nearly impossible for you to grasp. Perhaps it
because you so vehemently disagree with the law.

Your whole justification revolves around your
perception that unless a law has serious,
visible teeth, then it doesn't deserve our
respect, and we are justified in ignoring it.

What justification? The fact that you continue to incorrectly claim I
justified anything over the years has dogged you.

Then what would you call it. When you claim that freebanding is a
simple infraction, that's a justification. Would you still freeband if
the FCC actively pursued freebanders and fined them heavily?

That is anti-social behavior.

So is the behavior of sports fanatics and religious zealots, both a very
real part of the fabric that weaves America.

In what way?

But most people understand
tolerance is a necessary gem to a successful America and certain acts
are placed into proper perspective by the majority...a perfect example
is the majority of the populace do not consider speeders "criminals"
like yourself.

I don't either. Speeding is not a criminal offense. I never stated
otherwise. You were the one who compared speeders to "real" criminals
a few lines above, not me.

No,,facts. You can't call facts you disagree with "semantics".

You want to talk about facts? The facts are
that the FCC can and does auction off chunks
of spectrum to commercial entities to use.
They also regulate those chunks. They also
set aside some spectrum for "public use". Yes,
they administer it, as an arm and
representative proxy of the U.S. government.

Who is charged with administering what belongs to the public via their
tax dollars. Not much different than an auction.

Then why is the public not seeing the proceeds of these sales?

So, while the FCC might not directly "own" the
airwaves, the U.S. government does.

Nope. The citizens of the US "own" the airwaves by virtue of their tax
dollars paying for all that is related to it.

I would argue that the sale of that same bandwidth pays for much of
the FCC's budget.

Only when combined with other acts. If you feel simple freebanding (the
context of which we speak) carries criminal charges, feel free to cite
the passage or an example,,even one.

What is "simple" freebanding? Again, I refer you to the com act of
1934 and associated regulations regarding unauthorized transmitters.

Know of any test cases pushing the limit on this law?

Pushing which law and in what way?

Transmitting, albeit, under the guise of part 15, to a much broader
audience than permitted.

Well, look into any "low power" pirate
broadcaster. Some have tried to claim that
their power is legal (even if their antennas are
not).

Once one is pirating, any legal guise under Part 15 vanishes.

You can legally operate a part 15 transmitter on the broadcast band. I
built one such transmitter when I was a kid. But the antenna
restrictions specified no longer than a 5 foot wire.

I could hear my "station" up to about a block away.

How is such defined? If a church camp own 2500 acres and broadcasts over
such, and I sit on the public lake adjourning their property and can
tune in their broadcast..is it now simply approached as a public
broadcast?

Most of those situations employ carrier current
transmitters which radiate only a short
distance from their "antenna" wires, thereby
limiting range beyond the intended service
area. The biggest uses for this technique is on
.college campuses, travel, and road alert
systems.

Yes,,,but my question remains and is still valid.

The reality is that even a carrier current
system needs to be authorized by the FCC.
So a radio system capable of covering a 2500
acre church camp would need FCC
permission to operate.

Sure,,,,,but again,,,if one was to zero in and receive the signal from
property not owned by the entity transmitting under Part 15, what then?
Isn't this a technical violation?

That depends on the circumstances. An authorized carrier current
station operating within the technical requirements is not responsible
for incidental radiation beyond it's physical boundaries.

Cordless phones are part 15 devices, yet they can carry beyond your
property lines.

Instead of arguing with me, try looking into the
rules governing each service, and find out for
yourself. Despite the relative ease by which a
person may operate a CB radio, it is still not a
"right" to do so, it is a privilege granted by the
FCC, as the service is authorized by rule,
even if a license is not required.

And if that law were serious, one would NOT be able to buy, plug and
play. What stops an immigrant from using a cb? Nothing,,they all se them
in the fruit fields.

This is true, the FCC isn't checking the
immigration status of every CB operator,

The immigration use was but one example. There are countless more of how
anyone can use a cb simply by purchasing one off the shelf or from
anotehr party.

Well, that's a big glaring example of how reality can defy or obstruct
the rules. The fact that this happens does not diminish the letter of
the law.

One could say that the presence of a law which is unenforceable is
grounds for its revocation. Maybe that time is now.

and it won't come up unless the person is
cited for other rule violations. It's sort of like
the seatbelt law in many states. You can't get
stopped for it alone, but if you are stopped for
another violation, they can cite you for failing
to wear a seatbelt at the same time.

Yea,,well they just changed the law here,,they can pull one over for not
wearing it,,it's no longer a secondary offense (in Fl) , but a primary
offense.

I believe that's true in Pa, as well now. But it's still secondary in
other states.

Again, it seems that you justify ignoring rules
based on the unlikelihood of being cited.

When I began selectively ignoring specific rules for a specific purpose
(which happens to be THE definition of civil disobedience), most weren't
even aware such rules existed, which nullifies any possible position
presented by yourself regarding ignoring rules on the unlikelihood of
not being cited. In fact, when cbers were sliding up one or in between
to "channel 22a", most had no clue it was illegal.

I have a hard time believing that these bright, intelligent CB
operators would be so ignorant as to the legality of what they were
doing. In any case, ignorance of the law is no excuse. In those days,
as a condition of your CB license (You did have a license right?), it
was required that you read and understand the part 95 rule book. You
couldn't plead ignorance, without opening yourself to the charge of
making a false statement on your license registration form.

No one in my area ever believed that sliding through channels outside
of the 23 standard channels was in any way legal. We took our chances
based on the unlikelihood of getting popped. Had there been more
busts, most of us would have been too scared to venture out of band.
In fact there were regular rumors that the FCC was "in town" and many
of us toned down our antics, hid the amps in the garage, and stayed on
the legal channels, at least until the "alert" passed.

The point being that we all knew exactly what we were doing then.

As a
condition of that privilege comes your
responsibility to abide by the rules set fort in
various FCC parts depending on which
service you are using.
You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Actually, I love the manner in which the FCC enforces radio law right
now and have said so on many occasion.

Sure. The FCC is not as effective as they
should be,

The country disagrees with you, simply by virtue of what the FCC
enforces.

No, the FCC disagrees with me. The last time I looked, the rank and
file citizen has no input on what the FCC considers a priority.

and freeload.... er, freebanders get away with

trespassing on other government administered
frequencies with little chance of getting

caught.

Because it's ractically a non-issue with the majority of Americans.

The majority of Americans forgot about CB radio when Burt Reynold's
hair turned gray, and computers and cell phones satiated their gadget
fix.

But you guys who are operating illegally are
using all sort of excuses to justify or downplay
this illegality.

Then you should have no problem illustrating substance concerning your
accusations, but you have failed to do so to date regarding any of these
"guys" you incorrectly invoke.

What substance do you want? Do you deny that people other than you
operate illegally, and don't care about it?

Those who present a direct safety issue.

Very few people fall into this category.

All hammies who jam repeaters and talk where they are not permitted (on
the hammie band) fall into this category.

How does jamming a repeater create a safety issue? how do illegal
freebanding hams create a safety issue over than of illegal CB
freebanders (As if there really is a difference?)

They have plenty of teeth. Their bite is interested in chomping away
with censorship of television.

It's much easier for them to enforce.

Actually, the hammies are much easier to enforce.

Not really. they still have to physically identify the illegal
operator. That means moving beyond the confines of their cushy
offices.

"Tracking down" in the manner you believe is a thing of the past. The
High Frequency Directional Finder in Laurel, Maryland pinpoints
transmissions anywhere in the country immediately with no effort. Ask
Scott about it.

If true, then your buddy "Bob" should be dropping loads in his pants
right now.

You cannot pinpoint transmissions from a single point. It requires at
least 3 points to do with any accuracy. Why do you think there are so
many GPS satellites in position in order to find a precise bearing?

There was a rumor a few years back, and in fact I knew a guy who once
claimed to work on this system, where the GPS satellites could be made
to work "in reverse" and pinpoint any radio transmission emanating
from earth with the same accuracy as a GPS. But I cannot verify this.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old May 12th 05, 12:18 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:29:58 -0400, (I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:

From:
(Dave*Hall)
On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:43:50 -0400,
(I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:
(Which won't likely happen if you are both
monogamous. )

Being monogamous with your wife/husband/partner has nothing to do with
your past.

Never said that it did.

*

You said one will not likely catch AIDS if one practices monogamy. This
would only hold true if both were virgins when getting married..,not
practical when applied to present reality, as the vast majority have a
sexual past history.

And the less promiscuous that past is, the less likely that one will
catch AIDS.

Besides, you imply that it's next to impossible or, at the very least,
unrealistic for someone to wait until marriage to engage in sexual
relations. There is nothing honorable or otherwise noteworthy about
becoming sexually active in your teenaged years, despite the image
that the major media outlets try to paint to those overly
impressionable teenagers.

_
*There are instances where the HIV virus is semi-dormant for years and
years (10 to 15 year spans are on record) and then it suddenly
appears,,,the same can be said of AIDS..it's manageable in many cases
until,...poof,,it morphs to full blown AIDS.

Which means nothing if you've never been exposed to it.

Monogamous doesn't mean act like a slut
throughout your "formative" years and then
decide to "stay with one person at age 30.

That you consider a past sexual history equals "acting like a slut"
reveals several interesting facts of your beliefs regarding this topic.

Yes, it reveals that I don't believe that sex should be engaged as a
casual activity. Sex is a part of an act of love, to be shared with
someone who you have a much deeper emotional bond with. Not something
for two people, who are barely friends, who are simply looking to kill
a few hours.

The ONLY "cure" is found in
the prevention..in other words, abstaining from pre-marital sex then
both parties getting a thorough CBC (complete blood count) prior to
tying the knot.

Now you are finally seeing the light.

I've known this since 1980 when the disease was traced to a cave in
Africa and suspected of being contracted from bat guano (the initial
host.....believed by scholars) or a rhesus monkey. Google "The Hot Zone"
and the parallels are there for the reading. Better yet, read the book.
Now if only you could understand that monogamy today does not discount
one's past, as the majority of people have a sexual past history prior
to marriage and monogamy.

That's part of the problem.

Your claim that monogamy decreases the chance
of acquiring AIDS assumes incorrectly these people had no sexual past
history.

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition. While total abstinence
before marriage is a concept that's lost on this latest hedonistic
generation, the simple truth is that the less partners you have had,
the less your chances of catching AIDS. The type of partners you have
had also affects your chances. Frequent patronage of prostitutes, for
instance, greatly increases your chances of getting the disease.

The "clean" mark was originally 5 years, then 10, then
15,,,it's now believed that 20 years is the "safe" mark regarding past
sexual activity..in other words, if you have been monogamous for 20 years
with your partner, and your partner has also been monogamous for that
amount of time, the likelihood of contracting the virus decreases
substantially, but is -still- not discounted totally.

Better that than hooking up with someone who's rear end has seen more
bedsheets than underwear. My wife and I recently celebrated our 20
year wedding anniversary. So I guess we're safe ;-)

Congratulations!

I'd like to say the same regarding your beliefs of contracting this
disease, but I think your moral beliefs are heavily biasing and
preventing you from obtaining the facts regarding such.

The facts are quite simple. The less sex you engage in, the lesser
your chances of getting AIDS. Those who contract the disease have only
themselves, by virtue of their activities, to blame in most cases.

I am quite certain that my risk of contracting AIDS is less than my
chances of getting hit by a meteor. I am far more concerned with
cancer and heart disease as these pose a much greater risk to the
members of my family.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Old May 12th 05, 12:29 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:45:42 -0400, Dave Hall
wrote in :

On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:13:37 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

Which won't likely happen if you are both monogamous.

And virgins.

And your point?

My point is that you are an idiot if you think AIDS is limited to
sinners.

snip
Blog, blog, blog. If you think that Democrats are godless heathens,
maybe you should take a second look at the Carter administration.

Why? Carter's administration has no relevance to this discussion.

Sure it does. You made a reference to the Democrats.

Yes, that it primarily the left who are spearheading an intensified
effort to remove all signs of religion from government processes, even
though most have been around since this country was founded.

Like I said befo Better late than never. But if you want to know
why -now- instead of 20 or 100 years ago, just take a look at the
demographics of the Republican base. They have turned their party into
the "unofficial" party of the conservative Christians because it's an
easy crowd, and they are trying to make every election a vote about
religious convictions instead of government issues. The idea is
certainly creative, but it will eventually fail because people don't
want the government meddling with their religious freedoms.

Carter is a
Democrat, isn't he? Ok, so he doesn't hold an office right now. But
how many Democrats currently holding office are athiests? By their own
admissions, not many. Your argument is bogus -- I think Jeanine
Garafalo (sp?) had it right: The conservative's definition of
'liberal' is any judge that upholds the law. Or something like that.

Jeanine Garafalo is a hopelessly biased liberal on a liberal radio
network which is failing miserably.

True on both counts. But her statement was still accurate.

snip
There is no mandated "separation of church and state". Only an
establishment clause prohibiting a state sponsored religion.

Since you refuse to read it yourself, here's that clause from First
Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." Sounds to me
like that is a mandate defining the seperation of church and state.

No, it's an establishment clause that states (quite plainly) that
congress shall not establish an "official" religion,

That's only part of the scope. Read it again: The Amendment prohibits
Congress from making laws that would -respect- any religion. More
specifically, they can't help create a religious institution, nor can
they prevent them from existing. If some people want to establish a
religion that worships Satan, or Baal, or even Thomas Edison, there's
nothing the government can do to about it one way or another. THAT'S
what it means. And that -includes- prohibiting Congress from making
the US an "unofficial" Christian state whether it be by tradition or
by majority. Seperation of church and state is the -only- way to
preserve the right of religious freedom for everyone, and the First
Amendment does exactly that.

and may not
prevent anyone from exercising their own personal religious beliefs.

At least you got -that- part right.

Nowhere can you state accurately that that statement implies that
there shall be no religious influences in the day to day operation of
the government.

Influence is not law, nor is it a majority vote (as exampled on a
regular basis by corporate lobbyists and SIGs).

Maybe you did read the constitution, but you don't seem to understand
it.

I think this page says it best:

http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=issues

Too liberal for ya, huh Dave?

Much. They are taking this to an extreme. And here again, you are
displaying yet another of your contradictions. You who claim to
support the constitution and the wisdom of our forefathers (who were
all religious people),

All of them? Careful, Dave.....

yet now advocate that we go above and beyond
the definitions called for in the constitution, and to totally
eradicate all religious influences from our government, even though
they have been intrinsically intertwined in it from the start.

Despite the horrendous grammatical construction of your claim, what
part of the Constitution requires, or even -suggests-, that religious
influence should play any role in the government? There is ONLY ONE
reference that could even come -close- to what you claim, and that
would be in the final Article, where the date of its ratification is
written as "...the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our
Lord...". That's quite a stretch, Dave.

What passage have you quoted?

Don't you know? Haven't you read the Constitution?

Yes, have you? What passage are you referring?

The same passage I have been referring to all along -- Article VI.
Since you haven't read it, let me quote if for you, and in full:

"All Debts contracted and engagements entered into, before the
Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United
States under this Constitution as under the Confederation.

"This Constituion, and the Laws of the United States which shall be
made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be
made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme
Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby,
any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary
notwithstanding.

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members
of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial
Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall
be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no
religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office
or public Trust under the United States.

You now have no excuse for such stupid questions.

You've never participated in a jury trial have you?

As a matter of fact I have. I have been sworn as a juror twice, a few
times as a witness, four times as a complaintant, and even a couple
times as a defendant. I also swore an oath when I enlisted. And every
time I took an oath it was an oath that was administered to atheists.
Usually, the phrase "so help me God" is replaced by something along
the lines of, "under penalty of perjury in the State of so-and-so", or
something along those lines. I have also heard Jews and Muslims take
oaths that are different than those taken by people calling themselves
Christians. And if -you- haven't heard these oaths then -you- haven't
spent much time in a -real- courtroom. So get your face out of the TV
and learn about the -real- world instead of accepting as fact anything
you see or hear on "CSI Fargo", "Jury Crossing" or whatever Hollywood
rendition of 'forensics' you waste your time watching.

And how does that diminish the fact that
swearing on the bible is a confirmation that Judeo-Christian
influences have been intertwined in our government from the beginning?

Swearing on a bible is -not- required to take an oath of affirmation.

No, but it is used in every court case, to "swear in" a witness.

Once again you demonstrate your ignorance by talking of things about
which you know little or nothing: An oath on the bible is used in
every court but not for every person. There are different oaths for
different faiths -- there is even an oath for athiests and agnostics.

I've never seen any such offering. At least in the court trials that
I've been a part of. I imagine if someone made enough of a stink about
it, the "PC" police would provide an acceptable substitute.

Unless you are an idiot and are handling your case pro-se, you will be
called by an attorney who will ask you, prior to the hearing, if you
have any problem with swearing an oath on the Bible. That's his/her
job. Even in small claims court where you don't have an attorney, the
court gives you an instruction pamphlet that tells you about different
oaths that are used depending on your religious beliefs; all you have
to do is mention it to the court clerk and they will give you the
appropriate oath. No "stink" required.

The clause forbidding a "religous test" was added to -prevent- exactly
what you claim.

Then why is it still being done on a daily basis?

Because you watch too much TV.

No, I participate in the REAL world.

That's why you don't know **** about what happens in a REAL courtroom,
huh?

snip
If you are so worried about the "institution" of marriage then you
have bigger issues than gays. In case you haven't noticed, nearly half
of all marriages end in divorce,

Not true. You are not keeping current.

http://www.census.gov/population/soc.../tabA1-all.xls

No, it's very true. You skipped right over the line, "The U.S. Census
Bureau does not collect the number of marriages and divorces that take
place in a given year." That statistic is collected by the CDC. And
for the year of 2003, the divorce rate was -almost exactly- half the
rate of marriage:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52/nvsr52_22.pdf

You should read the link I posted again. The very first line tells the
story. The divorce rate is only 9.6%.

You sure did sleep a lot in school. It's clear that you don't
understand statistics either.

When you're under the gun, you insult your opposition. It's not an
elegant debate tactic Frank, and it sure doesn't buy you any points.

I don't have Excell (well, I have it, I
just don't have it installed because I never used it when I did), so I
downloaded the equivalent PDF file:

http://www.census.gov/population/soc.../tabA1-all.pdf

This is nothing but a breakdown of marriage -status-, not the marriage
and divorce rates.

Marital status is a more accurate reflection of the institution of
marriage.

You can't calculate marriage and divorce rates from
this data for the simple fact that many people are, or have been,
married more than once.

And some people remain married for 50 years. Once they are married,
they are not counted again in "marriage rates" but they still count
as a matter of marital status. Marital status gives a much better
picture of the state of marriage as it is.

You really -are- an idiot, aren't you? Heck, and I thought I was just
being snotty.....

I made the statement that "nearly half of all marriages end in
divorce". This is easily verified by any kid that watched two or more
episodes of Sesame Street: Compare the marriage rate to the divorce
rate. If you have 100 marriages and 50 of them end because of divorce,
it is obvious -- even to the most casual observer -- that half of
those marriages ended in divorce.

What the marriage status data -can't- tell is the number of times a
person gets married in a given year, or the number of people who are
married and divorced within the same year. But I would really like to
see how you divined a 9.6% divorce rate from that data -- it should be
good for a laugh.

You are also ignoring the fact that the divorce rate says nothing by
itself. According to the CDC, during the year 2003 there were 7.5
marriages per thousand people. There were also 3.8 divorces per
thousand people. This means (to anyone that can handle 5th grade math)
that the divorce rate is half (50.7%) the rate of marriage.

But that doesn't take into consideration the marriages from previous
years who are STILL married, but not counted as a new marriage.

If people married in previous years have a lower rate of divorce then
the divorce rate is -higher- among recent marriages. Or vice-versa.
The figures are still valid no matter how you slice it -- half of all
marriages end up in divorce. Period.

And here's the fun part, Dave: Since half of all marriages end in
divorce, and if the majority of citizens are right-wing conservative
Christians that hold marriage to be a sacred value, then there sure
are a lot of hypocrites that call themselves Christians.

Half of all marriages do not end in divorce. Only 9.6% of the
population is divorced.

Let's assume for a moment that your figure is accurate: Ok, then what
percentage of the population is still married? And how did you
calculate those numbers?

As for the "tradition" of marriage, remember that the filibuster has
been an American tradition for almost 200 years. IOW, you are a
hypocrite, Dave.

As are you Frank. You're just on the other side of the coin.

I knew you couldn't address that statement directly, but I -didn't-
think you would toss it off with a comment so abstractly stupid as
"You're just on the other side of the coin". Shame on me.

Typical tactic. Justify a particular abhorrent behavior by making
unrelated comparisons to other abhorrent behaviors.

It's a very logical and justifiable tactic, Dave.

No, it's a logical fallacy.

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/falsean.htm

You are trying to build an inductive argument using information that
only tells one side of the story (and heavily biased in favor of your
conclusion). I merely presented some information that you conveniently
overlooked. And it so happens that your premise loses almost all of
it's weight when -all- the facts are known.

But your method is still drawing a false analogy.

My method didn't "draw" -any- analogies. Or don't you even know the
definition of 'analogy'?

If the foundation of
your argument is that gay marriage weakens the value of marriage, it's
both fair and reasonable to compare gay marriage to other factors that
would affect the value of marriage.

Not if they have little in common, other than the idea of marriage
itself.

The common denominator is the value of marriage. That alone makes such
issues relevant to the discussion and exposes your argument as nothing
more than an exercise in bigotry.

Based on your own hypocritical bias.

Based on the facts. The fact is that the Bible (God) not only allows
polygamy, but quite literally -encourages- taking of more than one
wife -as well as- ****ing any receptive concubines. That "tradition"
dates back to well before Abraham and continues to this day in many
cultures, including some factions of Christianity. That's a fact,
-not- the product of my "hypocritical bias".

And that's no different than KKK
tactics which use the very same type of lame justifications to defend
racism (religion, tradition, morality, etc.).

Another false analogy fallacy. You're just full of them.

Nothing false about it. You wear the same feathers. You can take any
of your arguments, substitute the word "gay marriage" for "******",
and you sound just like a klansman without a pillow-case hiding his
face.

Yet you are whining about
it like a stuck pig while denying those other, much more significant
factors.

So, because there might be other factors which may be more
significant, we should ignore the small ones? That's the same sort of
twisted logic that freebanders use to justify illegal radio pirating.

If what you say were true then CB radio would be all over the news. It
isn't. OTOH, opposition to gay marriage -is- all over the news, and
that's because of all the attention it's given. If gay marriage is
getting all this attention because it threatens the value of marriage
then there would be much -greater- attention to the divorce rate (and
there would probably be a few right-wing fanatic groups lobbying to
outlaw divorce). But, in fact, there -isn't- any political outcry
against divorce.

Because it's only 9.6% of the population. Your conclusion is erroneous
because your premise is flawed.

Your statistics are flawed, and so is your argument: If all of those
alleged 9.6% divorcees were Christians (which they are not, but let's
assume for the moment that they are), then that's at least 9.6% of the
church that doesn't value marriage as much as you claim. OTOH, if all
those 9.6% are -not- Christians then that's a significant chunk of the
-rest- of the population that doesn't share your concerns. Either way,
if 9.6% of the population were rapists or arsonists, you can bet that
there would be a HUGE ruckus from the other 90.4%. But I don't hear a
huge ruckus, Dave -- only a few very loud, obnoxious, holier-than-thou
zealots trying to force -their- interpretation of 'morality' on the
majority.

The only reasonable conclusion is that these factions
of "Christianity" (at least one of which I'm sure you are a member)
are hypocrites that are practicing church-sponsored bigotry.

Had enough of the false analogy fallacies, so you've switched to the
false dilemma fallacy?

Keep reaching for the stars, Dave -- maybe some day you'll catch one.

Bad is bad no matter how large or small it may be.

Well, what's worse, Dave: A couple homos getting married? or a large
group of bigots trying to subvert the Constitution under the guise of
Christianity?

The only people trying to subvert the constitution are left wing
liberals who are attempting to derive new meanings from words which
the rest of us have understood and upheld for the last 200+ years.

Which words are those, Dave?

The conclusion is obvious: this has absolutely nothing to do
with the value of marriage. You simply hate homosexuals.

Once again, your chain of logic is based on flawed conclusions based
on fallacious logic, and your own internal bias.

When will you get it through your thick Republican head that bias has
nothing to do with it, Dave?

Because it does Frank. Even if you won't admit it (even to yourself).

I'm not homo, I don't have any friends
that are homo, I don't like "Queer Eye" or "Will & Grace"..... and
personally, I find the homosexual lifestyle somewhat repulsive.

And you call me a bigot?

I do. You are.

But
there's nothing in the Constitution that prohibits two gays from
getting married if that's how they get their kicks.

There's nothing in the constitution that prohibits you from marrying
Dolly the cloned sheep either. But other "rules" would have a problem
with it.

I'm pretty sure they would since I think beastiality is illegal in
every state (except Texas, and maybe Montana).

Your problem is that you see the constitution as the be all and end
all of all rules and laws.

It is the "Law of the Land", like it or not.

The constitution does not address each and
every life situation that could have been foreseen 200+ years ago.

That's why it has a provision for amendment. That's why it's
considered to be a "living document". And I can't believe you slept
through -that- in school -- did you sit in the back of the class? Have
a learning disorder? Home-schooled by ignorant parents? I mean, come
on Dave -- this is **** that immigrants are required to learn before
they can become citizens. Or do you still have your green card?

So it's not my
place to judge. And that would be even -more- true if I was a
Christian, the doctrine being that you should forgive others of their
sins (assuming you see homosexuality as a sin), and that judgment
should be left to God.

It's one thing to forgive sin. It's totally another to condone and
encourage further participation in it.

"It's one thing to allow inter-racial marriage. It's totally another
to condone and encourage further participation in it." See?

A Christian would forgive someone who stole their car. But that
doesn't mean the law should be changed to allow theft.

Does gay marriage deprive you of your car? Come to think of it, you
are still avoiding the big question: how does gay marriage deprive you
of your rights, Dave?

You hate gays.

No, I don't. If I hated gays, I'd want them exterminated.

You basically want to 'exterminate' any legal homosexual marriage. So
you hate legal homosexual marriage. But the only difference between
homosexual marriage and heterosexual marriage is the sexual preference
of the partners. Therefore, the source of your hatred can -only- be
attributed to homosexuality. You hate gays. You are a bigot, Dave.

So do a lot of other people. Big deal. But my "bias"
leans towards the Constitution, not my aversion to homosexuality. They
have the same rights as me, and I treat them with the same amount of
respect that I do anyone else whether I like them or not.

So then based on your "faith" in the constitution, you'd have no
objection to pedophiles having the right to marry?

Pedophiles have rights, too. If they can live their lives without
violating the law or infringing on the rights of others, great, I
couldn't care less what they do.

So how does gay marriage infringe on -your- rights, Dave?

That's the
difference between tolerance and bigotry. I am tolerant.

No, you are not. You are a hypocrite. You "tolerate" things you have a
personal agreement with or indifference to. But you have little
tolerance for those who do not share your viewpoint. The reckless
assigning of vitriolic names like "bigot" is proof of that.

But you -are- a bigot. Other people live their lives in a way that is
none of your business. Yet you feel that some of their choices are
intolerable and that they should be prohibited from exercising the
same rights and freedoms you enjoy simply because they don't comply
with your definition of 'tradition'. In a nutshell, they are different
and you want them to stop being different because you don't like it.
If that doesn't fall within the definition of 'bigotry' then I don't
know what does.

And for the record, I have great tolerance for just about everything;
even Bush, and even stupidity. But I have little or no tolerance for
ignorance.

You are not.
You are a bigot.

No, I am someone who values traditional morality.

I'm sure the same has been said by many klansman in defense of their
racism.

snip
The fact that polygamy might have been acceptable once does
not mean that a gay marriage should be now.

I never suggested it did. I was pointing out that your "traditional
Christian values" regarding marriage are, at best, hypocritical.

So we should abandon all moral values now since they may change
sometime in the future?

Well gee Dave, we probably should, now that you suggested it, huh?

That's basically what you are proposing. Once you start down that
slippery slope of justifying deviant, abhorrent behavior, it becomes
only a matter of subjective degree where you draw the line between
acceptance and rejection.

That line is drawn by society. It is not drawn by me, by you, or by a
few poorly-educated homophobes that would probably draw a bead on some
other 'deviant' behavior if they were to win this battle. The problem
is that if they are allowed to get their way, nobody knows what group
will be next or where they will stop. And if you think that "ethnic
cleansing" or some other form of genocide is ridiculous, go to the
library and study up on pre-WWII Germany, or Eastern Europe after the
fall of the USSR -- or read about Africa in the news of today.

You propose to allow a few fanatic groups the ability to dictate
religion, morality, or even tradition -- now THAT'S a slippery slope!

Idiot.

You are certainly acting like one.

You are acting like a third grader that's losing an argument in the
schoolyard -- complete with witty comebacks that I haven't heard since
the day I watched that Pee-Wee Herman movie.

snip
Hardly. If the standards are lowered then I have an education that
meets a higher standard, and I am therefore more qualified -- out of
the gate -- than someone with a lesser education.

But YOU will have to prove that.

Easy enough. It's called a "diploma".

But you will have to go to the pains to prove it. It will not be
readily apparent. Perhaps you can wear your diploma on your head so
everyone would see it.

Wouldn't it be much easier to include a copy with my resume?

And wouldn't it be much easier to admit that you are wrong instead of
trying to come up with ridiculous scenarios in an attempt to win an
argument?

After a few years go by, everyone will then consider a BS
degree to be a 2 year course. You will have to remind people (and by
doing so be construed as bragging in much the same way that a 20 WPM
Extra reminds people that he passed a tougher code exam than the
current 5 WPM extra) of the fact that you had an additional 2 years of
study, thereby propping up your perceived value. The public at large
will not be immediately aware of your "extra" work. Therefore it has
diminished in value.

Because people like you exist, some will undoubtedly see it that way.

Most people will eventually see it that way.

I don't think so, Dave. I really think that most people have more
smarts than you give them credit for.

It's not a matter of smarts, it's a matter of contemporary educational
standards.

Speaking of which, what's the name of that tech school you claim to
have attended, Dave?

But some, like myself, will already understand that those two extra
years mean the difference between 'good' and 'better'.

Yes, but you will have to "educate" those who will quickly forget
that.

There's no point in trying to educate people who refuse to look at the
facts objectively and make reasonable and logical conclusions. The
only reason I continue to try is because you aren't the only person
reading my posts. And it's nice to know that your ignorance is being
recorded for posterity.

My "ignorance" is only a matter of your bigoted intolerance and bias
and manifested by your pompous arrogance.

Big words only work if you know how to use them correctly.

snip
Then settle for a good analogy. The one you presented was not a good
comparison for the reasons I gave.

I'll consider a good analogy when you provide a good reason.

Always an excuse......

The only excuses tendered on this topic have been yours; I claimed
that 4 years of education is better than 2 years, and you have tried
every excuse in the book to refute it. So far none of them have
worked, not even the "always an excuse" excuse. Got any new excuses?
Maybe something from "Pee-Wee Herman's Big Book of Excuses"?

Heck, if you can't even read the Constitution, what reason is there to
think that you can understand children's literature.....

How you
feel about your own marriage is not dependent upon anyone else but
yourself. The Constitution is not going to change just because a
couple gays getting married affects the way you feel about your own
marriage.

It just might.

No, it won't. And when you make your next regular visit to your
doctor, tell him that you want to back off the dosage on those
anti-depressants.

More personal insults. You really are losing this debate.....

Just bored. It would be much more interesting if you could stay on
topic and present facts and logical arguments. Maybe then I wouldn't
be so inclined to comment on your lack of emotional stability.

Excuses excuses..........

Financial responsibilities, time that could be used more
productively.

Like in a more gainful job than tending bar........

Actually, I was thinking about starting up a yard-care biz. Pays
pretty well, lots of exercise (which would make my doctor happy), and
a heck of a lot more fun than changing kegs, carding teenies and
86'ing obnoxious drunks. I might give it a go as soon as I can figure
out why my weed-whacker keeps overheating. Maybe it's vapor-lock.....

........ If you cut in half the time you waste on the
computer and spent that extra time reading the Constitution you could
probably cut in half the time you waste on the computer.

I've read the constitution many times over. We spent a whole course in
high school studying it. There is NOTHING that you can tell me about
the constitution.

HAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, right. That's why I had to quote Article VI to show
you where it prohibits a religious test. Sure, Dave -- you know
-everything- there is to know about the Constitution, I'm sure. So
what part says that the US is a Christian state? Where does the
Constitution require or suggest that religious influence should play
-any- role in the government?

But I'll admit, I find it amusing that you try.

And how does gay marriage infringe on your rights?

The time I spend on the computer is minuscule. When you are parked on
a T1 line, you can take breaks and drink a cup or two between tasks
while getting a little entertainment. And I don't have to mix drinks
or smell cigarettes and bad breath doing it.

That's funny because I'm a heavy smoker. But I don't think anyone is
smelling my breath when I type on the computer. Not unless there is
some technology in my computer that I don't know about -- cyber-smell
or something like that. Is that why they have T1 and T3 lines? Or is
it just so you can download the porno pics faster? Heck, I'd get a T1
line for -that-!

So if you want to
start whining about my dumping the excess baggage you add to your
posts then feel free -- it will get snipped just like all the other
crap you use to water down the topics.

I water down the topics? Pointing out your own intolerance and
hypocrisy is very much pertinent to the discussion as it becomes
testimony as to your objectivity and credibility on this subject.

Sounds great! So when do you plan to implement your new policy?

What new policy?

Dave,..... oh, forget it. You wouldn't understand it anyway.

Yep, you're one of those guys who believes that change is always good,

Wrong. I believe that change is inevitable.

Even if it's bad?

Moron.

What's the matter Frank? Are you that incapable of participating in an
open discussion that challenges your preconceived notions?

You thrive on being publically disgraced, don't you?

No, I thrive on making you disgrace yourself.

inevitable -- [ Latin, 'in', not + 'evitabilis', avoidable] that
which cannot be avoided; certain to happen.

I am fully aware of the definition of the word Frank. Don't patronize
me.

I challenge the notion that change is inevitable.

Then your challenge is a lost cause from the get-go. Should you
succeed in preventing anything from changing, that in and of itself is
a change because the norm is change. Therefore you have defeated your
own objective by 'changing the rate of change'. And even if you
dismiss that as nothing more than a temporal card-trick, the fact
remains that events happen beyond the control of humans, that cannot
be prevented. Volcanos, hurricanes, asteroids, earthquakes..... change
is inevitable. It's a fact.

What you are
embracing is the idea of predetermination. Something I would not
expect from a existential atheist.

Existentialism is not fatalism. If you are going to dive into that end
of the philosophical pool you should at least grab DesCartes for a
floatation device or you -will- sink.

If we can effect change, should we not have the responsibility to
prevent change that would promote demoralization?

That's a neat idea, but Bush already tried that angle -- he failed
because there were no WMDs. And if that flew over your head like
everything else so far, go find someone that can explain it to you.
Isn't there an Amish settlement in your area?