Old May 25th 05, 09:13 PM
james

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:23:42 -0400, Dave Hall
wrote:

Duh! Last time I reviewed my civics and political science notes, I
thought the American People were the government. You may find it
acceptable to blindly follow your elected officials like those in
Hitler Germany!

Woah! Back up and drop the Hitler metaphors. This is not about
dictatorship, but about the ineptitude, indifference, and general lack
of understanding of "big picture" politics by the average American. We
elect representatives to carry out America's business in our best
interests so that "we the people" do not have to. If the government
had to disclose each and every piece of intelligence with the
population at large, they would, at the very least, create a national
security issue, and at the worst create confusion and panic as the
average citizen tries to come to grips with what they've just been
told.

******

no I elect representatives to do what I want. I don't elect them to go
off and do as they see fit. This may not be what th eaverage American
does but if they wish to jump off a cliff then so be it. Even a
representative democracy can desolve into facism and dictatorship.
Remember Hitler was elected and he did not gain his dictatorship
untill after he was in office. Then he convinced the Congress and the
poeple of Gernamy that it was in the best interest that he and the
leadership rebuild Germany. He asked for their trust in the
leaderships work and not to worry that they had their best interest
at heart.

The rate Congres s here is going in ten yrs we all will have to have
papers to travel around in the US. Members in Congress want even more
rigid Patriot Act enactment. I love that, they want the masses to give
up civl liberties and make them feel it is patriotic to do so! Even
call the law the "Patriot Act".

IF Americans don't wake up to the big picture it will be to late. In
fact so many things are no win place that it may now be to late. One
more 9/11 event and that may spell the end of most of our civil
liberties. I bet Jefferson is rolling in his grave at the blind sheep
the Americans have become.

james
Old May 26th 05, 12:24 PM
Dave Hall

wrote:

[...]

Along with everyone else. The reality is that no one gets exactly what
THEY want. We settle for elected officials who share our basic
ideology, values, and character.

I don't elect them to go
off and do as they see fit.

But that's exactly what they do, within reason. When was the last time
someone you helped to elect did exactly what you wanted them to do?
When was the last time they asked you what you wanted?

This may not be what th eaverage American
does but if they wish to jump off a cliff then so be it. Even a
representative democracy can desolve into facism and dictatorship.
Remember Hitler was elected and he did not gain his dictatorship
untill after he was in office.

Actually Hitler gained his power after Paul Von Hindenburg died in
1934. Before that Hitler was just a chancellor and had been unable to
beat Hindenburg in the last election. So in many ways, fate was
responsible for Hilter's chance at power.

Then he convinced the Congress and the
poeple of Gernamy that it was in the best interest that he and the
leadership rebuild Germany.

Yes, and like Clinton, Hitler took the credit for many of the economic
improvements that had been occurring, and he was somewhat successful
in convincing the less educated into believing that the root of their
problems rested squarely on the shoulders of the Jews. Hitler used
this as a rallying cry to unify the people into following his
distorted views of how things should be.

He asked for their trust in the
leaderships work and not to worry that they had their best interest
at heart.

No, he basically told them that Germans were superior, gave them
someone else to blame (deflection) for their problems, and promised to
"fix" it. When you tell people what they want to hear, it's not hard
to gain their support.

The rate Congres s here is going in ten yrs we all will have to have
papers to travel around in the US.

Surely you have to realize just how exaggeratedly absurd that is.
Besides, we already have "papers". It's called a driver's license.

Members in Congress want even more
rigid Patriot Act enactment. I love that, they want the masses to give
up civl liberties and make them feel it is patriotic to do so! Even
call the law the "Patriot Act".

Well, here's the deal. If we have total freedom and civil liberties,
it becomes next to impossible to effectively protect us against
outside infiltrators. So you have to make a choice. Either certain
freedoms need to be modified or curtailed in order to make our borders
more secure, make living and travel throughout our country more
difficult for non-citizens, and obtaining forged documents by hostiles
much tougher, or we have to learn to accept that the price of our open
freedom might likely be a large scale terrorist attack.

You cannot realistically expect to have both total freedom and total
protection. If you do not want the government taking steps to protect
us from terrorists, then you have no right to complain when they
attack. As long as they use our own laws against us, we remain
vulnerable.

Most people are willing to give up some freedoms in order to gain
better security. But that does not mean that we are "becoming a
fascist state". As long as we can continue to elect our
representatives, that will not happen. GW Bush will not be the
president 4 years from now, and there will be a new leader for us to
blame for all the trouble we're having.

IF Americans don't wake up to the big picture it will be to late. In
fact so many things are no win place that it may now be to late. One
more 9/11 event and that may spell the end of most of our civil
liberties.

I'd rather lose some civil liberties than worry that my family could
be wiped from the planet in one fell swoop. Besides, some people take
advantage of certain civil liberties in order to engage in activities
that are either illegal or immoral. A greater individual
accountability for those activities would not be a bad thing IMHO.

I bet Jefferson is rolling in his grave at the blind sheep
the Americans have become.

Yet, you would entrust these same blind sheep as worthy of knowing all
intelligence information on our foreign affairs?.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
Old May 26th 05, 04:12 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

David T. Hall Jr. wrote:
No, Hitler (Bush) basically told them that Germans (American

Christians) were

superior, gave them someone else to

blame (terrorists)

(deflection) for their problems, and promised

to "fix" it. When you tell people what they want
to hear, it's not hard to gain their support.

You not only bought this bull**** lock, stock and barrel, you inhaled it
faster than Bush did cocaine at Yale.
-
(The rate Congres s here is going in ten yrs we all will have to have
papers to travel around in the US. )

Surely you have to realize just how

exaggeratedly absurd that is.

Surely you don't realize how clueless you are. If you kept up to date on
your own parties activity, you will find the proposal of a national ID
card is not only very real, but a probability,,,all in the name of
protection.

Besides, we already have "papers". It's called

a driver's license.

He said "national".,,all across America, not issued by the state, but
issued by the feds.

(Members in Congress want even more
rigid Patriot Act enactment. I love that, they want the masses to give
up civl liberties and make them feel it is patriotic to do so! Even call
the law the "Patriot Act". )

Well, here's the deal. If we have total freedom

and civil liberties, it becomes next to

impossible to effectively protect us against

outside infiltrators.

Exactly. And this country has always operated that way. Freedon does not
come without its price.

So you have to make a choice.

The choice has already been made. Bush seeks to change it.

Either certain freedoms need to be modified or

.curtailed in order to make our borders more

secure,

make living and travel throughout our

country more difficult for non-citizens, and

obtaining forged documents by hostiles much

tougher, or we have to learn to accept that the
.price of our open freedom might likely be a

large scale terrorist attack.

In the first place, that you attempt but fail to make a lucid connection
between cracking down on "terrorists" and curbing our rights is a highly
laughable offense. People like you actually believe this ****.

You cannot realistically expect to have both

total freedom and total protection.

Correct. This country chose total freedom. Bush is trying to do away
with it.

If you do not want the government taking

steps to protect us from terrorists,

The steps have proved fruitless. We lost rigts and attacks were still
not prevented,

have no right to complain when they attack.

Keeping with that incompetent mindset, if you are not serving in the
war, or have no family there, or have never served, you have no right to
complain about those who do and say the war in Iraq is wrong. Ludicrous.

As long as they use our own laws against us,

we remain vulnerable.

Open border policy and the freedom we enjoy has always made us
vulnerable. That's the price we pay for the freedom we enjoy, it's a
tradeoff risk we take.

Most people are willing to give up some

freedoms in order to gain better security.

Dead wrong. Most people still believe in our founding forefathers
statements and still apply them today. Franklin said "Those who would
sacrifice personal rights in order to obtain temporary security, deserve
neither"

But that does not mean that we are "becoming

.a fascist state". As long as we can continue to

elect our representatives, that will not happen.

GW Bush will not be the president 4 years

from now, and there will be a new leader for

us to blame for all the trouble we're having.

And since you know it's going to be a democrat, you are already speaking
of such blame 3 years away, but still suffer gastronomic pain when the
Bush failures are illustrated.

(IF Americans don't wake up to the big picture it will be to late. In
fact so many things are no win place that it may now be to late. One
more 9/11 event and that may spell the end of most of our civil
liberties. )

I'd rather lose some civil liberties than worry

that my family could be wiped from the planet

.in one fell swoop.

As Franklin said, you deserve neither.

Besides, some people take advantage of

certain civil liberties in order to engage in

activities that are either illegal or immoral.

(snip)

Have at it, David. You're certified.

David T. Hall Jr.

"Sandbagger"

N3CVJ

Old May 26th 05, 07:03 PM
John Smith

We need a good strong militia here, something on a national level to oversee
and watchdog our gov't--and have a basic plan if there ever arises a need to
rise up and take control back from our gov't... you would think someone in
the right position with enough money would already have something started,
anyone know of a good group... nothing radical, just a group which swears to
uphold the constitution, but will resort to force if necessary?

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 2nd 05, 02:00 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:03:07 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

We need a good strong militia here, something on a national level to oversee
and watchdog our gov't--and have a basic plan if there ever arises a need to
rise up and take control back from our gov't...

So you want to create a shadow government? Who in this organization
would be accountable to the people? How would they be chosen? Who
would determine when the government had "overstepped its bounds". How
would this vigilante shadow governmental oversight group institute its
"takeover" of the government? Do you think a bunch of unorganized
citizens with rifles and shotguns would be able to defeat the U.S.
military?

you would think someone in
the right position with enough money would already have something started,
anyone know of a good group... nothing radical, just a group which swears to
uphold the constitution, but will resort to force if necessary?

I think the communist party is looking for new recruits......

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old June 2nd 05, 08:43 PM
John Smith

Dave:

No, gov't flows from the citizens to the gov't--wouldn't create any more
gov't... we need citizens in control of a home militia...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 3rd 05, 03:22 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:43:39 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Dave:

No, gov't flows from the citizens to the gov't--wouldn't create any more
gov't... we need citizens in control of a home militia...

Ok, let's run with that. So how do you plan to create a group which
would have enough power to overthrow the "official" government, which
also controls the military?

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj
Old June 3rd 05, 06:55 PM
John Smith

That is the crux of the matter, we need to control our politicians
(public servants) they control the military for us--the force would have
to be directed the the servants who are going about with their own
plans--just enough to convince them it is more beneficial for them to
follow the peoples... we did this with a king of england and his powers
once... I would suppose it could be done again... if that need ever
arises...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 1st 05, 05:44 AM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

Dave Hall Said:
"Actually Hitler gained his power after Paul Von Hindenburg died in
1934. Before that Hitler was just a chancellor and had been unable to
beat Hindenburg in the last election. So in many ways, fate was
responsible for Hilter's chance at power. "

Wrongo. Hitler's "emergency" powers were granted by Hindenburg in 1933
as a response to the Reichstag fire.

The German parliment building was torched and the Nazi's blamed
communist agitators, said that the country needed stronger leadership
to beat off attempts by the communists to take it over, etc.

Actually, the Nazis themselves did the torching, specifically to
agitate public opinion in favor of Nazi policies by blaming
anti-government forces for the deed.

Hitler said that Germany was being threatened, the people saw the
Reichstag fire as proof. Hindenburg gave in and let the Nazis run the
show.

Hitler would have blown a goat at the Berlin Zoo to get that power...a
little arson was definitely only the beginning if he had not gotten it.