Old June 7th 05, 12:46 AM
Cliff

I co-phased a set of copy-cat Monkey Made MM-9 on the pickup truck.
Sorta dwarfs the 1/2tnXtd cab full size Chev but they loook pretty
decent on them. I can get out fairly good but the 35 watt added really
makes a difference. I found a Red Devil 350 that I may put on it just
to sit out in the truck at night when skip is running and try to shoot
some of it.

I don't know if the RD has a high low isde to it or not but if one cuts
voltages down will that burn the amp up or will that just decrease the
wattages of the kicker?

Old June 7th 05, 01:47 AM
james

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:48:12 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

James:

Well, yes, but there is the meter readings and then there is
actual/practical use--you will find 35 watts is hardly worth the effort
unless put into a beam (directional antenna) of 7 db or greater gain...
in a mobile or on a base running a omnidirectional antenna no one is
going to be real amazed over your signal increase...
In practical use here is a general case example of what I have seen in
real use:
1) you are running an omniantenna
2) the guy at the other end is running an omniantenna
3) without an amp (4-5 watts) he has you at a 3 on his meter
4) you kick on a 100watt amp
5) now he has you at a 7 or right around that on his meter...

... so you see, 35 watts is not going to be that big of thing... now
kick on a kilowatt and he is going to get excited!!! grin

Warmest regards,
John

****
John

There is meter readings and there is meter readings. One thing that
meter readings can't get around is physics. Besides I place about as
much trust in s meters on receivers as a sreeen door in a submarine.
Nice gadget to make it look as if the receiver is doing something but
for field density measurements they are worthless.

Actually the difference from 35 watts to 100 watts is far less than
that from 5 to 35 watts. In fact the difference from 35 watts to 100
watts is really just discernable. To make a real noticable difference
the power level has to go up by four times. Five to 35 is seven times.

Besides I never stated that 35 watts was going to knock doors off. I
just stated that 35 watts compared to 5 watts is far more noticable
than you give credit for.

james

Old June 7th 05, 01:58 AM
Vinnie S.

On 6 Jun 2005 16:46:03 -0700, "Cliff" wrote:

I co-phased a set of copy-cat Monkey Made MM-9 on the pickup truck.
Sorta dwarfs the 1/2tnXtd cab full size Chev but they loook pretty
decent on them. I can get out fairly good but the 35 watt added really
makes a difference. I found a Red Devil 350 that I may put on it just
to sit out in the truck at night when skip is running and try to shoot
some of it.

I don't know if the RD has a high low isde to it or not but if one cuts
voltages down will that burn the amp up or will that just decrease the
wattages of the kicker?

Do you have a link?

Vinnie S.
Old June 7th 05, 02:09 AM
John Smith

I never run less than 100 watts, just a nice round number... still with
all the truckers right around a 350 watt standard and 500 watt linears
common, I get stepped on quickly...

John

Old June 7th 05, 03:30 PM
Chad Wahls

"Cliff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I co-phased a set of copy-cat Monkey Made MM-9 on the pickup truck.

You must have one custom wide pickup truck to make it work, unless it is
"co" phased from front to back.

Need 9 ft to make it work, less than that it is not "co"

Chad

Old June 7th 05, 06:36 PM
james

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 18:09:01 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

I never run less than 100 watts, just a nice round number... still with
all the truckers right around a 350 watt standard and 500 watt linears
common, I get stepped on quickly...

John

*****

That can be true. I never stated that with 35 watts that you will not
get stepped on. I used to hear shrimp boats in the bay here a mile
apart and land based stations upo to a kilowatt could not get between
them.

Power is not 100% a guarentee that you will always be heard. I used to
talk to a freind of mine on a dummy load with 50 watts into it.
Everyone thought he was ghost talking and was out of his mind. No one
could get between us. It helped that his antenna was about 350 feet
away.

james
Old June 7th 05, 06:40 PM
james

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:30:45 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
roups.com...
I co-phased a set of copy-cat Monkey Made MM-9 on the pickup truck.

You must have one custom wide pickup truck to make it work, unless it is
"co" phased from front to back.

Need 9 ft to make it work, less than that it is not "co"

Chad

*******

You can phase two antennae with as little as 1/8 wave and be useable.
It just gives one very strange radiation pattern though.

james
Old June 7th 05, 07:07 PM
John Smith

James:

I should have mentioned I live in California, two interstates run though
my city--it sometimes seems every other vehicle is a truck... others in
different areas will have a different experience...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 11th 05, 05:29 AM
Scott in Baltimore

Actually the difference from 35 watts to 100 watts is far less than
that from 5 to 35 watts. In fact the difference from 35 watts to 100
watts is really just discernable. To make a real noticable difference
the power level has to go up by four times. Five to 35 is seven times.

A 2x455 amp will work great. They are called 225's now, because that's
how watts of DC input they use. It's a marketing ploy. Each MRF455 is
good for 60 watts max times a push/pull pair is 120 watts max RMS.
Expect OK audio on AM at 30 to 35 watts of dead key with a properly
biased box. Stay away from Class C (competition box or modulator) units.
Old June 11th 05, 05:35 AM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

Wrong. 9 ft in coax is electrically longer than 9 feet in air. You have
to consider velocity of propogation in a given type cable before
deciding the proper physical length.