Old June 4th 05, 03:01 AM
Cliff

Default Picked up a small amp

Picked up a small amp 35 watt. It shows to be putting out the 35 watt
full but it still will not let me get out any further than about the,
well really was getting out about 5 miles,... mobile RS TRC 447 with a
single 36" Bulldog fiberglass mounted on driver's side of toolbox.
Read on Wilson FAQ site that when mounting a single antenna it should
be mounted on the passenger's side of the vehicle. Had never heard of
that before. Was heavy into CB 71-88. Had an SBE Console II with a
Siltronix 90-1 VFO with a homemade 2 element quad mounted on a homemade
tower made up of two stick of oilfield line pipe. Line pipe cut in
half, put a pivot point at the top and down low welded a strap to keep
the antenna pole from flying all the way thru the mount and crashing
into the ground. Talked a lot with a woman in Nova Scotia, British
Columbia and Australia. Only bad thing there was this AH out at 29
Palms CA that had a really badly tuned radio. I transmitted like on
6-10 channels, up and down from a center freq. I could usually blank
out anyone from coming in the backdoor but this sumbuck when he keyed
up I know that the lights in Honolulu HA would grow dim. don't have
any idea what kept him from burning his tower down. I would have been
afraid to have gotten close to his coax when he keyed up. But he would
come in my backdoor like the guy that was down the street. Friend down
the street and I would when that sob got on line would get on line just
to see if we could talk to each other and there was no way that we
could talk to each other. I really don't relixh running a damned
linear but when you can't even talk on the highway to other truckers
because of the AH yo have to do something to be able to enjoy it.

But with that quad I could talk to skip barefoot, although the SBE
Console II was tweaked out and I don't remember where on the wattmeter
it would swing to.

Anyways, I was just wanting to complain some because of the amp. Paid
the $1.25 per watt which was a good price but no workie goodie though.
Any suggestions. Been thinking of getting one of the antennas that
have the big round wire coil in the center of the antenna to mount on
my pickup. Will this help out any? I understand, or at least have
heard that running dual antennas, if they are not at least 8ft apart
they really don't work that well. Ideas on that?

Also I am looking for the CB shop that is in Bridgeport, Texas. Anyone
got the name/address/phone number for this guy?
Hey take care
73rd's
Blue Dawg

Old June 4th 05, 09:07 PM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

Cliff wrote:
[...]

Amplifiers are 100% illegal on CB radios. You are not allowed to use
them.

Old June 4th 05, 11:00 PM
John Smith

.... the difference between 35 watts and 5 watts, at any
distance, is so small as to be un-noticeable... I would not worry about
running that full time--up to about a 100 watts is nothing to worry
about (even much larger power in mobiles)... I would begin to worry only
if I was running high power though a base station... I only run 3.5
Kilowatts when the skip is in on my beam, can pretty much talk to anyone
I can hear... but with that kind of power I realize there is a risk...
must have been awfully lucky though since I have been running greater
than 1Kw on skip ever since the early 1970's and have yet to even get a
notice...

I leave my little 300 watt base linear on all the time... but I don't
tell anyone and I don't hook up a BIG LOUD MIKE which ****es everyone
off, I DON'T ROGER BEEP and I DON'T CUSS and DON'T make an obnoxious A$$
of myself... it makes it sound like I am not running power and most just
think I have a good setup and antenna...

Warmest regards,
John

"mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!"
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 5th 05, 02:21 AM

John Smith wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Cliff wrote:
[...]

Leave it to a keyclown to tell another keyclown to be a keyclown.

Old June 5th 05, 03:17 AM
John Smith

OM!!! That Alzheimer's is kinda gettin' bad, they got medication for
that yanno... you are up to 3 repeats a message... when it gets to 5
they send the guys in white coats over to your house...

John
"mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!"
wrote in message
ups.com...

John Smith wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 5th 05, 03:31 AM
james

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:00:56 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

... the difference between 35 watts and 5 watts, at any
distance, is so small as to be un-noticeable...

******

Actually it is 8.45 dB difference. In an omnidirectional antenna it
would be decernable difference. While it will not make a large
difference it will be noticable. It would be more effective with
directional antennae.

james
Old June 5th 05, 05:48 AM
John Smith

James:

Well, yes, but there is the meter readings and then there is
actual/practical use--you will find 35 watts is hardly worth the effort
unless put into a beam (directional antenna) of 7 db or greater gain...
in a mobile or on a base running a omnidirectional antenna no one is
going to be real amazed over your signal increase...
In practical use here is a general case example of what I have seen in
real use:
1) you are running an omniantenna
2) the guy at the other end is running an omniantenna
3) without an amp (4-5 watts) he has you at a 3 on his meter
4) you kick on a 100watt amp
5) now he has you at a 7 or right around that on his meter...

.... so you see, 35 watts is not going to be that big of thing... now
kick on a kilowatt and he is going to get excited!!! grin

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 5th 05, 04:03 PM

I can't speak from too much AM experience, but I can share my
observations from HF SSB, and, legal issues aside, it is my opinion
that 5 to 35 is worth the price of a few fast food meals. As JS
suggested, there are far worse things going on than QRO on 11 meters.

I usually operate at 20m or 40m at 10W, and when I can't get through to
a station I'm reading at R4-R5, boosting up to 50W almost always does
the trick. Going from 5 to 35 is a comparable dB gain, and I think it'd
be worth it.

My rig is capable of 100W, but I've only keyed up once at full power,
and that was to verify that it actually worked.

I'd suspect the antenna is a big part of the problem. Maybe it's not
tuned or grounded properly? As far as I know, there isn't any reason to
favor one side of the vehicle for antenna location. On the driver side,
you've got drive-in windows to worry about. On the passenger side,
you've got branches. For truckers, neither is really a big concern. If
there is any difference in radiation, I would bet a single antenna on
either side would have the same coverage ten miles down the road.

If you want to run phased twins, the distance between them is
important, as it affects the gain and radiation pattern, but there's no
critical distance that will give you the best performance. The closer
they are, the more like a single antenna they will behave. When you
mess with the phase angle between the antennas for different patterns,
the distance becomes more critical, but it's my understanding that
truckers are concerned with what's on the road ahead and behind.