Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 4th 05, 03:01 AM
Cliff

Default Picked up a small amp

Picked up a small amp 35 watt. It shows to be putting out the 35 watt
full but it still will not let me get out any further than about the,
well really was getting out about 5 miles,... mobile RS TRC 447 with a
single 36" Bulldog fiberglass mounted on driver's side of toolbox.
Read on Wilson FAQ site that when mounting a single antenna it should
be mounted on the passenger's side of the vehicle. Had never heard of
that before. Was heavy into CB 71-88. Had an SBE Console II with a
Siltronix 90-1 VFO with a homemade 2 element quad mounted on a homemade
tower made up of two stick of oilfield line pipe. Line pipe cut in
half, put a pivot point at the top and down low welded a strap to keep
the antenna pole from flying all the way thru the mount and crashing
into the ground. Talked a lot with a woman in Nova Scotia, British
Columbia and Australia. Only bad thing there was this AH out at 29
Palms CA that had a really badly tuned radio. I transmitted like on
6-10 channels, up and down from a center freq. I could usually blank
out anyone from coming in the backdoor but this sumbuck when he keyed
up I know that the lights in Honolulu HA would grow dim. don't have
any idea what kept him from burning his tower down. I would have been
afraid to have gotten close to his coax when he keyed up. But he would
come in my backdoor like the guy that was down the street. Friend down
the street and I would when that sob got on line would get on line just
to see if we could talk to each other and there was no way that we
could talk to each other. I really don't relixh running a damned
linear but when you can't even talk on the highway to other truckers
because of the AH yo have to do something to be able to enjoy it.

But with that quad I could talk to skip barefoot, although the SBE
Console II was tweaked out and I don't remember where on the wattmeter
it would swing to.

Anyways, I was just wanting to complain some because of the amp. Paid
the $1.25 per watt which was a good price but no workie goodie though.
Any suggestions. Been thinking of getting one of the antennas that
have the big round wire coil in the center of the antenna to mount on
my pickup. Will this help out any? I understand, or at least have
heard that running dual antennas, if they are not at least 8ft apart
they really don't work that well. Ideas on that?

Also I am looking for the CB shop that is in Bridgeport, Texas. Anyone
got the name/address/phone number for this guy?
Hey take care
73rd's
Blue Dawg