Old June 20th 05, 04:03 PM
FrankW

Default Stereo sound system overriden by CB

Anyone every heard of a device that would override
the speaker of a stock stereo from a CB?
Something that would cut out the sound from the
stock car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker
Thanks in advance

Old June 20th 05, 06:34 PM
Homer

Yes, Radio Sh..k sold them about 15-20 years ago. I had one and it was
great. Do not know anyone now though.

Sorry,

Homer

Old June 21st 05, 03:58 AM
yea right

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:34 -0400, FrankW wrote:

Anyone every heard of a device that would override the speaker of a stock
stereo from a CB? Something that would cut out the sound from the stock
car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker Thanks in advance

Very common complaint
Poorly designed asian stereo systems commonly lack proper RF bypass.
Install some clamp on inductors on the power leads and put .01uf caps to
ground on your speaker leads
Old June 21st 05, 05:09 AM
Richard Dreyfuss

yea right wrote in
news
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:34 -0400, FrankW wrote:

Anyone every heard of a device that would override the speaker of a
stock stereo from a CB? Something that would cut out the sound from
the stock car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker
Thanks in advance

Very common complaint
Poorly designed asian stereo systems commonly lack proper RF bypass.
Install some clamp on inductors on the power leads and put .01uf
caps to ground on your speaker leads

It sounds more like he wants to run the audio from his CB through his
stereo.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:49 AM
yea right

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 04:09:52 +0000, Richard Dreyfuss wrote:

yea right wrote in
news
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:34 -0400, FrankW wrote:

Anyone every heard of a device that would override the speaker of a
stock stereo from a CB? Something that would cut out the sound from the
stock car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker Thanks in
advance

Very common complaint
Poorly designed asian stereo systems commonly lack proper RF bypass.
Install some clamp on inductors on the power leads and put .01uf caps to
ground on your speaker leads

It sounds more like he wants to run the audio from his CB through his
stereo.

Opps sorry!

Old June 23rd 05, 03:13 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Richard Dreyfuss wrote:
yea right wrote in
news

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:34 -0400, FrankW wrote:

Anyone every heard of a device that would override the speaker of a
stock stereo from a CB? Something that would cut out the sound from
the stock car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker
Thanks in advance

Very common complaint
Poorly designed asian stereo systems commonly lack proper RF bypass.
Install some clamp on inductors on the power leads and put .01uf
caps to ground on your speaker leads

It sounds more like he wants to run the audio from his CB through his
stereo.

What on earth for? CB sounds bad enough so why amplify it? Trash in =
trash out.
Old June 21st 05, 11:06 PM
Jim Hampton

"yea right" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:34 -0400, FrankW wrote:

Anyone every heard of a device that would override the speaker of a

stock
stereo from a CB? Something that would cut out the sound from the stock
car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker Thanks in advance

Very common complaint
Poorly designed asian stereo systems commonly lack proper RF bypass.
Install some clamp on inductors on the power leads and put .01uf caps to
ground on your speaker leads

I would *not* recommend bypass caps on speaker leads. Today's solid state
amps can enter feedback with bypass caps on speakers and reduce that stereo
to an expensive doorstop.

A bypass on the dc input would be fine as would the ferrite clamp-ons.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old June 21st 05, 05:22 PM
Buck

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:34 -0400, FrankW wrote:

Anyone every heard of a device that would override
the speaker of a stock stereo from a CB?
Something that would cut out the sound from the
stock car radio and put the CB sound into the stock speaker
Thanks in advance

What you are asking for is either a car stereo that has an input that
will offer that option, but I don't think you will find one. Or you
need a device that switches from the car stereo to CB when it is
active. This will involve rewiring the output of your car stereo.

there are devices that you can get to play the audio from your CB to
the car stereo, but they don't mix listening pleasures. I use one
with my ham rig often. It transmits on one of the FM broadcast band
frequencies in stereo. I plug it in my headphone jack and the car
stereo picks it up. It will work for about 30 feet or so in the
house.

Belkin makes it and it is available at Walmart.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.
Old June 21st 05, 11:57 PM
Richard Dreyfuss

Buck wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Actually there are some car stereos with external inputs (either 1/8
trs on the face or RCA from the back) for things like Ipods. I have
one of these and use it for my palm, and plan on making an adaptor for
various radios when I get around to it (god knows when that'll be).
This would work, but the FM transmitter would be simpler, since a
stock stereo probably doesn't have the extra input.

With either method, be careful not to run the full speaker output into
the device. Both the FM transmitter or the extra input will accept a
low level feed, like what drives headphones. Using an "external
speaker" jack can possibly damage the FM transmitter/stereo input as
the level feeding the speaker is much higher. Experiment with a
resistor or two inline to drop the voltage to a more reasonable level.

Have fun.
Ben
Old June 22nd 05, 03:14 AM

You can also buy an audio attenuating cable from RS that will do this
for you. It's made to connect recording devices to headphone and
speaker jacks.

Supporting theory that Antennas "Match" to 377 Ohms (Free space) Dr. Slick Antenna 183 October 2nd 20 10:44 AM
Any one has the document "Introduction to Motorola C-QUAM AM stereo system"? Jianhong Wang Broadcasting 1 April 19th 04 06:23 AM
Hum on WFAN 660? Ron Hardin Shortwave 22 January 14th 04 03:38 AM
BEST sounding FM stations in your area ChrisCoaster Broadcasting 5 July 29th 03 07:42 PM