Old July 10th 05, 06:27 AM
Who Needs The ARRL?

Default Who needs the ARRL, anyway?

The ARRL is not a necessary institution these days. It is self-propagating,
demands hefty dues and represents less than half of the licensed Amateurs in
the United States.
Besides, what does one get for the $40.00 per annum (or is it more?) fee? A
glossy magazine rife with advertisements? Admission to 'private' sections of
the ARRL web site? A monthly 'bulletin' sent to your email address? (more
spam)
Oh, wait. ARRL members get to vote on proposed rule changes, too. As if the
FCC has ever given that much credence.

I guess there are still some old warhorses out and about who feel that it is
a mark of distinction to have the ARRL logo on their QSL cards...especially
those who boast of being part of the elite few, the proud, the Life Members.

One could likewise spend their Amateur Radio $$ on bigger and better things,
such as paying good money after bad to join the Ten Ten Club, yet another
wasteful expenditure of hard-earned money. Why not start a Twenty-Twenty
Club? One could double the dues paid to the Ten Ten Club and claim twice the
elitism.
The Twenty-Twenty Club could do as the Ten-Tenners do...refuse to speak with
those not a member of their snooty group. Double the frequency, double the
elitism.

CQ Contest, anyone?

Old July 10th 05, 12:06 PM
Joe S.

"Who Needs The ARRL?" JIm@GuessWho wrote in message
[...]

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 +10dB +20dB
Troll-O-Meter

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 +10dB +20dB
Dumbass-O-Meter

Old July 10th 05, 12:50 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

From: (Joe=A0S.)
[...]

1 2 3 4 =A0 5 =A0 6 7 =A0 8 =A0 9 +10dB +20dB

Troll-O-Meter

But of course. Whenever one accurately illustrates the position of this
now-useless group, the defend-at-all-cost members must attack the
messengers instead of actually providing sometthing that could be
construed as proactive via their bull****.

1 2 3 4 =A0 5 =A0 6 7 =A0 8 =A0 9 +10dB +20dB

Dumbass-O-Meter

That would more accurately describe those who pay to receive the group's
spam and continue to delude themselves into incorrectly thinking and
believing they have a say regarding radio policy crafted by the FCC.

Old July 10th 05, 02:14 PM
AKC owns this NG

Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:
[...]

That's just twitlips convincing himself and nobody else that he can
write. The queenboy aint even a ham.

Old July 10th 05, 02:16 PM
AKC owns this NG

Whatsamatter twitlips, the truckers didn't wanna tag FUGGLY today and
you aint got any money to buy kittens to kill?

You aint even a ham, and for that matter aint even a CB'er. Go stuff it
in your shorts, keyclown.

Old July 10th 05, 02:36 PM

I have mixed feelings about the ARRL, but I think he has a valid point.

First of all, I really hate QST. I find the April fools articles highly
insulting (Scientific American used to do it, but they took the time to
make the articles creative and thought-provoking (not to mention highly
convincing). It's as if QST just has some extra pages every year that
they can't fill with useful information.

Another thing that really burns me about QST is the proportion of
articles about putting memory or peripherals in your computer, or using
the internet. Not only are there plenty of magazines out there that are
doing a much better job of supporting the PC culture, but the internet
is also arguably the reason that kids are not interested in ham radio
anymore.. well, that, and the ARRL is still trying to attract
youngsters with the exciting prospect of talking to people around the
world. They haven't noticed that kids are carrying cell phones to
middle school and making penpals on other continents with AIM.

Finally, I really don't like contesting at all, and this is a big part
of QST's content too. Contesting brings out the ugliest aspects of most
hams' personalities, and it's just not interesting to me to fight qrm
and lousy bands to exchange a callsign, qth, and get the hell off my
frequency, over and over again,

I would happily join if I could do without it, but as it says in the
masthead, membership and subscription to QST cannot be separated. Here
is the reason, in case you're wondering. I worked for a
pretty-good-sized magazine, and I spoke with QST's editor so this isn't
something I just made up. Magazines do not get rich selling
subscriptions. They do, however, have to demonstrate large circulation
in order to convince advertisers to part with their money. QST is a big
money maker for the ARRL, but if half of the members quit their
subscription, Kenwood, Icom, HRO, and all the others would invest in
other publications with better numbers.

Is the league wasting our money? I don't know.. I took a break from ham
radio for a few years while pursuing other interests, and last year
when I got back on the air I discovered a new band. Okay, well, it's
just a few frequencies, but I know that in the past hams have gotten
stirred up over the prospect of losing a band to wireless cable,
paging, or whatever, and the ARRL played a big part in defending our
spectrum (or at least that's how I remember it). I know the FCC isn't
in the habit of just giving up frequencies too, so I have to think that
the league's lobbyists had at least something to do with that.

Maybe it would be perfect if we could get rid of QST and get the league
to put those dollars and personnel into the other, more practical
functions, but I suspect that, aside from the three of us, just about
everyone actually likes reading that rag, and there isn't much of an
incentive for them to scrap it.

The editors and directors of QST are really nice people to talk to, and
I encourage everyone to call them and (tactfully) share your feelings.
If nobody complains about it, why should they fix it?

Old July 10th 05, 03:46 PM
Caveat Lector

ONLY GAME IN TOWN

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old July 10th 05, 03:50 PM
Korbin Dallas

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:14:19 -0700, AKC owns this NG wrote:

Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:

I'm surprised you found the news groups since you seem too stupid to
understand that the ARRL does...

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Old July 10th 05, 06:54 PM
Tim

Seeing 50 & 60 year old men paste "ARRL Member" stickers
all over their cars, then go out on the highway and chase truck
drivers around to see what frequency they are on, has got to one
of the most hilarious things anyone has ever seen.

Tim

Old July 10th 05, 09:36 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:

Oh, wait. ARRL members get to vote on proposed rule changes, too. As if the
FCC has ever given that much credence.

You don't have to be an ARRL member to vote on proposed rule changes,
but I guess a troll wouldn't know that.