Old August 1st 05, 01:29 AM
John Smith

driver42:

I would replace the term you are using "set the swr", with "adjust the antenna
for low or lowest swr."

For example, you question might be stated as, "I will not be able to adjust the
antenna for a match and low SWR--and will have to use it as it is, so will a
match box allow me to still operate my radio into the antenna, no matter if the
swr is low, or not?"

You can ask this same question in rec.radio.amateur.antenna, however, they
refer to a "match box" as an "L-Match", same thing in most cases, however there
are different types of "match boxes", some balanced, some unbalanced, since you
are using coax, you will be using an unbalanced one (ALL cb "match boxes" will
be "unbalanced")

So, if in rec.radio.amateur.antenna you ask, "Can I use a "L-Match" to lower
the SWR into an antenna which I cannot physically adjust, but is cut for the
right frequency?" You will begin another debate there. grin

But, if you think you are confused here, you will even be more confused there.
They will start laying technical terms on you faster than a pervert can come up
with lollipops for the kids! And, the hair splitting over semantics, syntax
and terms will spin your head!

However, after you chat with the shop techs, please, report back on your
findings for others who might post the same question... thanks in advance...

Warmest regards,
John

"driver42" wrote in message
5...
Geez fellas... I didnt mean to start a war here. I'm just a truck driver
that wants to do things as right as I can given my situation with pretty
much having a different truck everyday. After reading through this entire
thread I think I'm even more confused :-) so here's what I'm gonna do. I
will call a few of these cb shops that I've seen on the web and ask them
for their advise and explain to them my circumstances of wanting a good
high quality radio "no amp or stupid toys that make noise" and telling them
that I'll be in a different truck and wont be able to set the SWR and ask
them what would be a good setup for me. One last question for you all that
have been helpful. Can you give me a few sites to good internet dealers
since there arent any physical shops left in my area anymore?
Thanks again for your help guys.

Old August 1st 05, 02:08 AM
John Smith

professor:

Funny, that pic won't show in my browser...

John

"Professor" wrote in message
oups.com...
LOL... no problem... Frank is a little edgy... as usual. You should
pick up something like this http://batterysupply.com/cbantacc1.htm
This is what we've been talking about... a so called "matchbox"...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old August 1st 05, 08:05 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:54:41 -0500, driver42 wrote
in :

Geez fellas... I didnt mean to start a war here. I'm just a truck driver
that wants to do things as right as I can given my situation with pretty
much having a different truck everyday. After reading through this entire
thread I think I'm even more confused :-)

First rule: Avoid any gimmicks or modifications that claim to give you
some profound increase in performance. It doesn't work that way. The
laws of physics dictate that there are only two ways to significantly
improve your performance: use a bigger antenna and/or use more power.
Leave the gadgets and gizmos for the neurotics that want to squeeze
every last milliwatt from their radios (and the morons who like to
watch meter needles bounce).

Second rule: Practically all CB radios are the same in that they have
an output impedance of 50 ohms. This means that the antennas which are
installed on these trucks are most likely -already- adjusted for best
SWR to a 50-ohm radio, and will therefore work just fine with -any- CB
radio you choose to buy, matchbox or not.

Third rule: Don't pray to the SWR god. A dummy load will give you an
SWR of 1:1 but it doesn't make a very good antenna. Your antenna is
best tuned with a field strength meter, and many times the best field
strength does -not- coincide with best SWR. If the radio you choose
has an SWR meter included, great. Think of it as a go/no-go meter:
below 3:1 and everything is fine; above 3:1 and you need to check for
a major malfunction like a disconnected cable, corroded connectors,
busted antenna, etc.

so here's what I'm gonna do. I
will call a few of these cb shops that I've seen on the web and ask them
for their advise and explain to them my circumstances of wanting a good
high quality radio "no amp or stupid toys that make noise" and telling them
that I'll be in a different truck and wont be able to set the SWR and ask
them what would be a good setup for me. One last question for you all that
have been helpful. Can you give me a few sites to good internet dealers
since there arent any physical shops left in my area anymore?
Thanks again for your help guys.

Forget the internet CB shops -- let your fingers do the walking and
contact one of your local commercial radio communication shops. They
do this stuff professionally, they will verify everything I have said,
and will give you the -straight- scoop instead of a bunch of CB
hocus-pocus designed to sell crap to nieve CBers like Brian does.

Old August 1st 05, 08:31 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:23:02 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

Frankly (pun intended) you strike me as an idiot. Probably one who has picked
up most if not all of his "knowledge" from magazines, and books on his own--no
formal training, no degree, not having held a job in the field--you come hear
like an authority.

Krist, the hams know more than you do!

Hams are, by definition, amateurs. Radio has been my -profession- for
about 25 years, including a BS in EE from EWU (including a minor in
communications). I worked as a BE for about 12 years, before that at a
radio comm shop (while going to college), and before that as a radio
tech in the USMC (MOS 2841). Nowdays I have my own part-time shop for
both radio and audio equipment, and do some bartending on the side
(better perks than any radio work!).

Oh yeah..... and I've been a CBer since I was about 10.

And if you have -any- doubts about what I am saying here then feel
free to browse the archives for this group and challenge me on any
technical issue on which I have commented and you think I'm wrong.
Otherwise, go troll some other newsgroup. Maybe some group under the
topic of assembly language since you claim to be a "wizard" at it. Or
we can discuss that topic here -- I'm fairly adept at writing my own
assembly subroutines, especially device drivers for automation control
and data aquisition (for custom interface cards that I also designed
myself).

So what'll it be, "John"?

Old August 1st 05, 08:39 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:48:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

My words are simply direct and offend you...

Gee, more crystal ball gazing. Like -that- wasn't expected.

However, they are absolute truth...

Truth is relative; facts are absolute. You have ignored the fact that
most CBers -don't- use a matchbox and their radios don't blow up.
Address the facts, not opinions that you claim to be the "truth".

too bad you can't understand without
someone having to strike you across the top of the head with a 2X4!

Finally, an ad baculum. Trolls like you usually threaten me after the
first two or three replies. So what took you so long?

Old August 1st 05, 03:52 PM
John Smith

Frank:

From your text, I still believe myself correct... else you are very adept at
being able to hide an education...

John

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

Old August 1st 05, 03:55 PM
John Smith

Frank:

U R an idiot...

U can't tell the difference between forced to use an "L-Match" to be able to
use a radio and thinking it is a "magic device."

Troll? I was hoping you were just a troll instead of a ma'roon! At least a
troll can be communicated with...

Old August 1st 05, 10:06 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 07:55:47 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

U R an idiot...

U can't tell the difference between forced to use an "L-Match" to be able to
use a radio and thinking it is a "magic device."

Focus, "John"..... where, in any of his posts, did he say he was being
"forced" to use any type of matching device? He didn't.

Troll? I was hoping you were just a troll instead of a ma'roon! At least a
troll can be communicated with...

So you wrote the book on trolls?

Old August 1st 05, 10:10 PM

Hams are, by definition, amateurs. Radio has been my -profession- for
about 25 years, including a BS in EE from EWU (including a minor in
communications). I worked as a BE for about 12 years, before that at a
radio comm shop (while going to college), and before that as a radio
tech in the USMC (MOS 2841). Nowdays I have my own part-time shop for
both radio and audio equipment, and do some bartending on the side
(better perks than any radio work!).

Oh yeah..... and I've been a CBer since I was about 10.

You left out the whole truth. In addition to your one sided horn
blowing of above......................

1. At age 10 you decided that you were tired of being beat. You
learned to trick other kids into believing that you had a value other
than that of a punching bag. You accomplished this by starting to
go down a path of deceit that you continue to go down today.

2. At age 33 you decided you'd give up on girls. You continue to be
a virgin to this day. ( not counting farm animals)

3. At the advent of the Internet you discovered that you could puff
up your low self esteem through a series of put down others to inflate
yourself posts. You quickly learned that the truth is not this issue.
All that matters is to make yourself look good. Just spew a bunch of
non related technical matter into a post and no one will be the wiser.

There are more. These are just the obvious ones. If others would like,
they can continue the list. It shouldn't be to difficult.

4............

5..........

ect.
Old August 1st 05, 10:12 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 07:52:40 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

From your text, I still believe myself correct...

There are facts and then there are your beliefs. Learn to distinguish
between the two.

else you are very adept at
being able to hide an education...

Like I said before -- feel free to browse through the archives. Do you
need me to post the URL?