Old September 28th 05, 11:47 PM
james

Default About lightning etc...

On 28 Sep 2005 22:39:50 GMT, Steveo wrote:

+Frank Gilliland wrote:
+ I have
+ a couple of these units in my 'blooper box' (failed parts bin). One is
+ blown in half and the other is melted.
+
+Hi Frank.
+
+Begs the question what the hell are you saving that toasted plastic for,
+you pack-rat?

****

It would probably make a nice conversation piece.

You ougt to see what lightning does to a commercial FM antenna. One of
the elements was just a nub of molten copper.

james

Old September 29th 05, 01:00 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:47:27 GMT) it happened james
wrote in :

+Hi Frank.
+
+Begs the question what the hell are you saving that toasted plastic for,
+you pack-rat?

****

It would probably make a nice conversation piece.

You ougt to see what lightning does to a commercial FM antenna. One of
the elements was just a nub of molten copper.

That reminds me... of a fireball!
I had just placed a FM antenna (simple dipole, year was 1961 or 1962 or there
about) on our common roof (flat roof) for a neighbor.
I went to my place at the other side of the building, and it started
thundering and raining.
Went back and told him to disconnect that antenna.
When to my room, and had the window open, trees in front of the house, first
floor, fascinating that lightning...
A flash, bang.. nothing. Then a moment later this big round ball, dimly
lighting up, maybe 30 cm (12 inches) in diameter slowly lowered itself in
front of my window.
No heat radiated from it... It then hung perfectly still for a moment.
For a moment I had this fear that it would enter the room.... then it slowly
sank out of view and I heard a loud bang.
Next morning me and the downstairs neighbor went to look at the remains of
his radio antenna he had tied between 2 trees.
Only the ends of the copper wire were still around the trees.
Good thing he had disconnected too.
Now do we deduce from this that erecting an antenna draws lighting effects?
The FM antenna was still OK, how a ball lightning is created nobody seems to
know for sure.
But I have seen one! Beautiful!
Mysterious too...

Almost like there was awareness in it....
Old September 29th 05, 03:23 PM
Chad Wahls

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:07:43 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

"Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE" wrote in message

"jim" wrote in message
Jan Panteltje wrote:

I had the new GPA behind the house up last week....
To make sure I had the best SWR and best signal, I use thick coax,
and
left out the coupling piece I had that I used to disconnect in case
lighting was expected.
The weather report was good, with a drop of rain, and the sky was
clear....
I went to sleep.
At 3.25 last night I woke up because of an incredible flash and BANG.
Thought "have to buy new gear now, pity..." hehe).
LOL
But nothing was smoking, counted seconds between flashes (more now),
it was overhead alright.
But my neighbor (50 meters away) has a higher mast.
Anyway, it started raining, usually there is enough conductive path
then
for it not no strike, I went outside in pyamas, waited for a flash,
(clouds take time to charge up again) and cut the coax, folded it
back,
so there was some meters separation.
Went to bed again, noticed I was wet...
Just now I put some connecters and a coupling piece, so that is
fixed.
So, anyways the sky is clear and the sun shines, and the SWR is
slightly
better now...
But now I am thinking 'lightning detector', I know these exist, was
it
not
a simple ferrite rod with a detector (for low frequencies)?
Does anyone here use these?
Good diagrams?
I should google anyways....

Anyways I made some other changes too, I am now running the set from
12 Ah
12V gel battery,
It is charged continously with an AC/DC adapter, no large power
supplies
needed.
and I can use things when electricity fails, say in case of flooding.

PolyPhasers do work They have done a good job of protecting all the
broadcast equipment I have installed over the years and they have
protected
many ham and CB rigs also.

http://www.polyphaser.com/kommerce_p...px?class=M0044

Chad

They work ok to protect against static buildup and nearby strikes, but
they can't be trusted to isolate your system from a direct hit. I have
a couple of these units in my 'blooper box' (failed parts bin). One is
blown in half and the other is melted.

And the equipment connected? did it survive? I suffered a direct hit that
made my Imax look like flaked rice all over the back yard, gear was up and
running and suffered no loss.

Old September 29th 05, 03:25 PM
Chad Wahls

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
news:1127995252.258b64b688137be451b5886a887f3197@t eranews...
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:47:27 GMT) it happened james
wrote in
:

+Hi Frank.
+
[...]

It is VERY cool I have seen it too and thinking about it makes my hair
prickly!

Chad

Old September 29th 05, 03:32 PM
Chad Wahls

From: (Chad Wahls)
PolyPhasers do work

Maybe they do,,,against surges and buildups and the like. I found
nothing claiming they protect against a direct strike of lightning..

They have done a good job of protecting all

the broadcast equipment I have installed over

the years

Yea, protected from surges, buildups, etc. These products can work great
for "nearby" zaps etc., but not a direct strike.

and they have protected many ham and CB

rigs also.

Not from a direct strike they didn't. Protection that is supposed to
shunt sometimes fail because of the reaction time. Other times the
entire unit fries. I have yet to see a single product on the market that
claims their product will offer total protection against a direct strike
of lightning. Companies will make claims like their product is the best,
or the latest technology or the most affordable ot offers the most
protection, but none offer complete.

http://www.polyphaser.com/kommerce_produc

tdata.aspx?class=M0044

Chad

Play it safe. Disconnect during the storm. It's the best advice for the
average hammie/cb'er.

Yes, I will contact my station manager and let them know I will be
Disconnecting the EAS transmitter, marti's and all 3 station feeds next time
a storm is approaching.

NO LOSSES means NO LOSSES, no telemetry losses, remote losses, STL losses,
period, phone or coax. It's not IF this tower gets hit during a storm it's
how many times it gets hit. This is the broadcast industry we are talking
about, we don't go of f the air and slam a 4" chunk of hardline in a mason
jar. They DO work this is a 500' tower in the middle of glass-flat central
Illinois!

Get a 'Phasor and ground right and your gear will survive.

Chad

Old September 29th 05, 05:29 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

You saw the green flash! No, just kidding!
I have seen a similar example. Flash right through the house in a
horizontal line many years ago at the same time as a direct strike, but
the ball did not hang around at all. It shot from one end to the other
and disappeared..and this was INSIDE.

Old September 29th 05, 05:38 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

From: (Chad*Wahls)
"I AmnotGeorgeBush" wrote in message
... From:
(Chad Wahls)
[...]

That would be the way to go if your station manager's station is
comprised of average hammies, cb'ers and they're equipment as
specifically mentioned above.

NO LOSSES means NO LOSSES, no

telemetry losses, remote losses, STL losses,

period, phone or coax. It's not IF this tower

gets hit during a storm it's how many times it

gets hit.

I live in the lightning capital of the world. Show me where the products
you use offer a guaranteed replacement of all damaged components if your
prodcut should fail. You won't find it because they can't accomplish
complete protection. However, you WILL find such guarantees against
surges by MANY products,,but no guarantees against lighting strikes.

This is the broadcast industry we are talking

about, we don't go of f the air and slam a 4"

chunk of hardline in a mason jar.

Which is why I reiterated for the "average" cb'er or hammie..

They DO work this is a 500' tower in the

middle of glass-flat central Illinois!

Get a 'Phasor and ground right and your gear

will survive.

Chad

Well, heck..that's easy as hell to check. The bay area gets strikes
every day even on sunshine days, but you will be hard pressed to find
someone willing to accept the word of a product that offers no
replacement guarantee. Since there is no guarantee, what incentive is
there to leave your tuff connected during a storm? Zero. Play it safe.
Disconnect your hammie/cb radio gear.

Old September 30th 05, 12:49 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:23:59 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

snip
http://www.polyphaser.com/kommerce_p...px?class=M0044

Chad

They work ok to protect against static buildup and nearby strikes, but
they can't be trusted to isolate your system from a direct hit. I have
a couple of these units in my 'blooper box' (failed parts bin). One is
blown in half and the other is melted.

And the equipment connected? did it survive?

Nope.

I suffered a direct hit that
made my Imax look like flaked rice all over the back yard, gear was up and
running and suffered no loss.

You were very, very lucky.

Lightning Strike Dr. Artaud Shortwave 22 July 22nd 05 06:11 AM
Sporadic-E Layer effect intensified by lightning Johnson Dx 0 June 27th 05 10:04 PM
FYI: NOAA Lightning Safety Awareness Week K4YZ Policy 0 June 8th 05 02:25 AM
Lightning and Grounding [email protected] Antenna 16 March 3rd 05 03:49 PM
lightning protection Mark Keith Shortwave 0 August 1st 04 09:51 AM