Old September 30th 05, 01:22 AM
Tightwad

Default About lightning etc...

I AmnotGeorgeBush wrote:

You saw the green flash! No, just kidding!
I have seen a similar example. Flash right through the house in a
horizontal line many years ago at the same time as a direct strike, but
the ball did not hang around at all. It shot from one end to the other
and disappeared..and this was INSIDE.

It's been a long time. Nobody believed me when I told them about the
ball lightning the first time. I was only eight or nine.
In the early eighties, I watched a huge storm on July 4 in the west in
Indiana. I saw three large balls of lightning travel parellel to the
ground from cloud to cloud. It was far away. No telling just how big
they were.
I also saw lightning dance along a wire fence of the hog lot.
It was always a real show to watch the summer storms off over the edge
of the mountain and listen to the thunder and the rain on a tin roof.
You can't keep awake for long. What a sweet lullabye.
Old September 30th 05, 09:26 PM
Kevin, WB5RUE

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
news:1127926193.6d66811f87a46474e518cebaf7e7d146@t eranews...
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:07:43 -0500) it happened "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

yPhasers do work They have done a good job of protecting all the
broadcast equipment I have installed over the years and they have

protected
many ham and CB rigs also.

http://www.polyphaser.com/kommerce_p...px?class=M0044

Chad

Hi Chad, thank you! lots of info on that site.
I just did read this:
http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_TD1016.aspx
and it gives me some good ideas how to do things.

A direct strike will vaporize that little box. Not to dis polyphaser, they
make some excellent products all up and down the line but those discharge
tubes WILL NOT protect against a direct strike. NONE, NADA.

Kevin, WB5RUE

Old September 30th 05, 11:59 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:26:20 -0500) it happened "Kevin, WB5RUE"
wrote in :
I just did read this:
http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_TD1016.aspx
and it gives me some good ideas how to do things.

A direct strike will vaporize that little box. Not to dis polyphaser, they
make some excellent products all up and down the line but those discharge
tubes WILL NOT protect against a direct strike. NONE, NADA.

Kevin, WB5RUE

I am aware of that Kevin, but it has some great ideas how to make good earth
at the mast, and also it reminded me to somehow connect the coax screen to the
mast, now it is isolated.
Probably the GPA base will flash over, but better if the electrons go to
ground then if these go down the coax (outside) even if it is disconnected.
There are some other good suggestions on that site too...

In any case I will try to get my lightning detector working, and disconnect
if it detects anything.

As for the lightning detection electronics - I am now planning on the tuned
ferrite rod, followed by a FET then by a PIC microcontroller... the
small ones I have can replace a LOT of logic for pulse detection and
processing, and have a comparator build in to detect precise voltage levels.
PIC12F629 I have here a box full of...
The advantage is that I can re-program the thing once I get a better idea
what the lighting signals look like (so less false alarm).
The price of these PICs is about a dollar :-) Only 8 pins DIL, internal
oscillator, few micro amps power, hardly any other components needed,
except for a beeper of sorts as alarm.

Old October 5th 05, 03:48 PM
Kevin, WB5RUE

news:1128121187.cd7b4cc1bdd8545b9d41c7ec94da4169@t eranews...

:
[...]

It doesn't matter really how good your ground system is. If your antenna
takes a direct strike and 99.999% of the energy goes into the ground you
will still get several thousand volts (or hundreds of thousands of volts)
coming down your coax. Unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars
on an active lightning protection system your only protection is to
disconnect.

Kevin, WB5RUE

Old October 6th 05, 02:14 AM
BTM BTM is offline
Junior Member

Location: New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE
"jim" wrote in message
Jan Panteltje wrote:

I had the new GPA behind the house up last week....
To make sure I had the best SWR and best signal, I use thick coax, and
left out the coupling piece I had that I used to disconnect in case
lighting was expected.
The weather report was good, with a drop of rain, and the sky was

clear....
I went to sleep.
At 3.25 last night I woke up because of an incredible flash and BANG.
Thought "have to buy new gear now, pity..." hehe).
LOL
But nothing was smoking, counted seconds between flashes (more now),
it was overhead alright.
But my neighbor (50 meters away) has a higher mast.
Anyway, it started raining, usually there is enough conductive path then
for it not no strike, I went outside in pyamas, waited for a flash,
(clouds take time to charge up again) and cut the coax, folded it back,
so there was some meters separation.
Went to bed again, noticed I was wet...
Just now I put some connecters and a coupling piece, so that is fixed.
So, anyways the sky is clear and the sun shines, and the SWR is slightly
better now...
But now I am thinking 'lightning detector', I know these exist, was it

not
a simple ferrite rod with a detector (for low frequencies)?
Does anyone here use these?
Good diagrams?
I should google anyways....

Anyways I made some other changes too, I am now running the set from a

12 Ah
12V gel battery,
It is charged continously with an AC/DC adapter, no large power supplies

needed.
and I can use things when electricity fails, say in case of flooding.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
all the work to set up a station and no lightning protection scheme?
there are many ways to protect the equipment including gas discharge
kit. any surge protection on the ac input?

Nothing that would be worth buying to protect a CB rig will stop a direct
strike. A direct strike will vaporize a gas discharge kit on its way to
your radio. But then if you want to spend a few thousand dollars you can
get direct-strike protection.

Kevin, WB5RUE

I know nothing really will stop a direct strike but the more 90 degree turns you can make with you coax before entry the better! lightning doesnt like 90 degree angles, also i bring my coax all the way to the ground with a gas discharge unit at its lowest point then 90 back up to entry,most likely a drop in the bucket but ive never been wiped out. I also have 15 or so ground rods spread every 4 ft connected with stranded bare #6 then i covered it with dirt most of this is for field ground but field ground should be bonded to antenna ground always and is in my case, also bond them to your service ground,i also run my equipment off of battery backup units with avr and really nice surge clamping characteristics UPC and Cyberpower make nice units that stops that third order harmonic feedback wipe out thru your power in case of a strike

well this is just my poormans attempt to protect my equipment

Cheers BTM

Old October 13th 05, 06:17 PM
Kevin, WB5RUE

"BTM" wrote in message

Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE Wrote:
"jim" wrote in message
...-
-

http://www.usenetzone.com to open account-
all the work to set up a station and no lightning protection scheme?
there are many ways to protect the equipment including gas discharge
kit. any surge protection on the ac input?-

Nothing that would be worth buying to protect a CB rig will stop a
direct
strike. A direct strike will vaporize a gas discharge kit on its way
your radio. But then if you want to spend a few thousand dollars you
can
get direct-strike protection.

Kevin, WB5RUE

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

[...]

Yeah, and Santa Claus ate the cookies too. Lightning will take whatever
path is there no matter how complex. It will go right through your gas
discharge and Cyberpower UPS.
Remember this spark has just traveled several miles to get to you. A few
inches of gas or plastic isn't even going to slow it down.

Kevin, WB5RUE

Old October 13th 05, 06:31 PM
The Magnum

//snip//
[...]

I completely agree with Kevin. The only benefit these extra gadgets have is
if there is a close strike and it helps to reject stray voltage from the
bolt. Ive had two TV sets go down due to this, you can tell the
difference... the stray voltage from a bolt of lightning will pop components
on a board... a direct hit will make it explode... The only way to protect
your equipment is to disconnect it AND either move the co-ax away or the
radio itself. It doesnt help much disconnecting it and leaving it an inch
from the radio.
Regards,
Graham

Old October 15th 05, 12:03 AM
U-Know-Who

"The Magnum" wrote in message
//snip//
[...]

And then there's the proximity factor...namely, every piece of wire in your
home acting as the other half of a transformer, the lightning being the
primary. Induced voltages are just as deadly to electronics.

Lightning Strike Dr. Artaud Shortwave 22 July 22nd 05 06:11 AM
Sporadic-E Layer effect intensified by lightning Johnson Dx 0 June 27th 05 10:04 PM
FYI: NOAA Lightning Safety Awareness Week K4YZ Policy 0 June 8th 05 02:25 AM
Lightning and Grounding [email protected] Antenna 16 March 3rd 05 03:49 PM
lightning protection Mark Keith Shortwave 0 August 1st 04 09:51 AM