Old January 27th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

Default 102" whip

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:41:13 GMT, Lancer wrote:

+Frank;
+ A 1/2 wave doesn't have gain over a 1/4 wave?

*****

Correct it doesn't

james
Old January 27th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:21:12 -0600, "DrDeath"
wrote:

wrote in message
+ On 25 Jan 2006 04:48:05 -0800, "Professor"
+ wrote:
+
+You don't need the spring... and the 102" is unparalleled in
+performance if mounted in the proper location...
+
+ It depends on what 102" you are talking about. Not all 102"
+ antennas are created equal. Some 102" antennas can actually
+ be beat by some shorter antennas.
+
+ Let the games begin.
+
+Mounted properly the 102" is king.
+

*****

I concur. A properly mounted 102 inch whip will and should perform
better than any loaded antenna.

Now I define performance as a combination of radiated power and VSWR
bandwidth. VSWR bandwidth is as improtant as radiated power as it is
an indicator of antenna radiation resistance and "Q" of the antenna.
Both have effect on the efficiency of the antenna over the disired
operating bandwidth of the antenna.

james
Old January 27th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

wrote in message

Let the games begin.

Mounted properly the 102" is king.

King of what?

Of mobile antennas of course. Unless your participating in a keydown and
need some oil cooled coil, you will get the best results with a 102" and
they are good (most of them) to 1kw.

Old January 27th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

"Big Rich Soprano" wrote in message
Mounted properly the 102" is king.

King of what?

King of beers?

That would be Budweiser!

Old January 27th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

"Steveo" wrote in message
Snipped

The 102" rocks, except for its tree pruning and over-hang scraping
qualities..oh and it's a bit on the odious side appearance wise. I have
that mount and a Wilson 1000 on one of my trucks, I rarely put the 102" on
because of the noise it makes banging off of things, and it's somewhat
directional mounted on the step bumper. (good dx shooter)

The Wilson 1000 mag mount is hard to beat for most practical applications.

I have mine mounted in the center of my truck box, puts it pretty close to
center. I have to tie down for the drive through.

Old January 27th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:10:41 -0600, "DrDeath"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Let the games begin.

Mounted properly the 102" is king.

King of what?

Of mobile antennas of course. Unless your participating in a keydown and
need some oil cooled coil, you will get the best results with a 102" and
they are good (most of them) to 1kw.

You will get good results but not necessarily the best results.
Old January 27th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I concur. A properly mounted 102 inch whip will and should perform
better than any loaded antenna.

In theory yes. In practice it may not. A 102" stainless steel whip can
be beat by some shorter (loaded) antennas.
Old January 27th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:10:41 -0600, "DrDeath"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

Let the games begin.

Mounted properly the 102" is king.

King of what?

Of mobile antennas of course. Unless your participating in a keydown and
need some oil cooled coil, you will get the best results with a 102" and
they are good (most of them) to 1kw.

You will get good results but not necessarily the best results.

How so? Give me an example. Unless Jay wants to put an I10K on his truck.
Out in the desert he could weld 20 foot of tower in the bed. LOL

Old January 27th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Of mobile antennas of course. Unless your participating in a keydown and
need some oil cooled coil, you will get the best results with a 102" and
they are good (most of them) to 1kw.

You will get good results but not necessarily the best results.

How so? Give me an example. Unless Jay wants to put an I10K on his truck.
Out in the desert he could weld 20 foot of tower in the bed. LOL

Power handling aside the 102" stainless steel whip is a good antenna
but can be marginally beat by other shorter antennas. These shorter
antennas tend to consist of large diameter antenna stock made of brass
or copper usually with a chrome plating. They also are center loaded
with a large diameter air gapped coil.. One such antenna, and I'm sure
there are others, is the X-terminator at about five foot tall.