RadioBanter

-   -   102" whip (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/87126-102-whip.html)

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:33 PM

102" whip

What was used for the field strength measuring device?

And what was used to produce a constant tone, tnom?

On this particular test I used a Radio Shack 27 mhz remote control
car transmitter that was hooked to a oversized battery and left
running until it stabilized.

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 08:35 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:12:13 -0500, wrote in
:

I might get cooties if I deal with you. Buy your own antenna.

That's the plan, tnom -- or couldn't you understand what I wrote?
Here, I lay it out point by point:

1. I buy the antenna.
2. I test the antenna.

Still with me here? Good.....

If the antenna meets or exceeds the performance of a Radio Shack 102"
SS whip then I post the results with an apology, end of story, exit
stage left, case closed.

BUT....

No but.

If the antenna -fails- then you buy the antenna for the price I paid.
Like I said in the other post, I'll even pay shipping. Do want a ham
to monitor the test and provide independent verification of the
results? I'm sure that won't be a problem.

So the -=ONLY=- way my test will cost you ANYTHING is if the antenna
fails to perform according to the results of your test.

No Frank. You fudging the numbers to save face will cost me.

Like I said, you can send a ham, or even a CBer friend, to monitor the
test and provide independent verification. In fact, I would -prefer-
that you send someone to monitor the test so you can't worm your way
out of the deal by claiming the numbers were fudged.

Now is there anything about my proposal that you don't understand?

I understand A L the ramifications of you doing this test. I will take
no financial responsibility from some one I do not trust.

Then contact someone around here that you -do- trust. Or can't you
find anyone that will lie on your behalf to save you a few bucks? How
about I do the test at the next local field day? I'm sure there will
be plenty of hams that would be eager and willing to see the results
of this test. Are you saying that you can't trust a group of hams that
have no other interest than to dispell RF voodoo?

Is there .....ANYONE..... in this newsgroup who doesn't understand
what I just proposed?

They understand that your history is much more problematic than mine,
so if you really want to debunk me then take the bull by the horns and
buy the antennas.

Hmmmm..... I seem to recall that being part of the plan..... let's see
now, where was that listed in the plan.....

1. I buy the antenna.

Yep, that was part of the plan alright.

So what'll it be, tnom? Are you going to back up your test or continue
to play stupid?

I've backed my tests by exposing them to a newsgroup and encouraging
others to do the same test. What have you done? Nothing.

You typed some numbers on a keyboard and CLAIMED to have done a test.
Now you're playing stupid.

I'll go one step further: I'll buy the antenna and do the test, and if
the antenna performs according the results of your alleged test then
I'll send you the antenna for free -- AND $200 to boot. If it fails
then you just buy back the antenna. Is -that- a deal?

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:37 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:46:17 GMT, wrote:

On 29 Jan 2006 05:21:39 -0800, "Professor"
wrote:

Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db

So let me understand these readings you made... the DLX antenna was
your baseline?

Yes. It was the lowest and became the reference

Uh Tnom, you can't make something a reference AFTER the
test. That's not how you do a baseline.

What? You can reference anything you want. Antenna manufacturers do it
all the time. How do you think an Anrton gets its numbers?

Do you even know what a db is?

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:39 PM

102" whip

Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db

Of coarse since the time of this test I have found
and measured even better antennas. Of these the
practical ones all use large diameter masting made of
highly conductive material. A large diameter, air spaced
overall antenna height

Damn Tnom, a 102 on a mag mount? You should be whipped. LOL

A homebrew triple magnet 750lbs magmount. Oops, I shouldn't have
mentioned it. Next thing you know Frank will want to borrow it.

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:41 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:48:59 -0500, Jack O'Neill

Im thinking of getting a 102" whip, I dont think I need the spring
because of where im mounting it. But is it nessesary? Should I get it
with the whip ?

Hi, been on CB since 1968. If you get the spring the whip tends to
bend back quite a bit
when doing high speeds. I used the spring only once early on. I got
myself a quick connect
and replaced the spring. Its about the same length as the spring. This
way the whip does not bend back nearly as far which is better for
transmission
and reception being it remains mostly vertical. And the quick
disconnect allows you to remove the whip quickly and
put it in your trunk!! Done this for many many years!! I'm very
pleased with it!!
73

Gen. J. O'Neill

Seeing how you brought up the bending of the antenna..........
Another disadvantage of the 102" ss whip is the gain lost because of
this bending. It is significant.

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 08:41 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:18:21 -0500, wrote in
:

You would change your numbers to justify your argument. That is if you
would ever run a test.

Then why even waste your time telling me to run the test? You're not
making any sense, tnom. My guess is that you changed -your- numbers,
or fudged them during the test, to make them consistent with your
anticipated results

Well then you don't know the history behind me running the antenna
tests. Could it be that I wanted to debunk the X-terminator?

Guess what? I did want to debunk it, but I couldn't. Numbers don't
lie, just people. Sound familiar?

Bad attempt at selective snipping, tnom. Here's the -whole- paragraph
as I wrote it:

Then why even waste your time telling me to run the test? You're not
making any sense, tnom. My guess is that you changed -your- numbers,
or fudged them during the test, to make them consistent with your
anticipated results -regardless- of what you stated as your reason for
running the tests, which was most likely a lie intented to add a false
legitimacy to the results. After all, why would you (or anyone else
for that matter) buy an expensive antenna when you expected it to
fail? That doesn't make any sense either, tnom.

Gee, why am I not suprised that you resort to deceptive tactics when
your test results are contested?

Do the right thing and accept the challenge, tnom.

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 08:43 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:33:12 -0500, wrote in
:

What was used for the field strength measuring device?

And what was used to produce a constant tone, tnom?

On this particular test I used a Radio Shack 27 mhz remote control
car transmitter that was hooked to a oversized battery and left
running until it stabilized.

I thought you said you used an SSB radio with a constant tone? I also
seem to recall that your constant tone 'generator' was you whistling
into the mic. Am I wrong or do I need to go swimming in google juice?

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 08:48 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:41:35 -0500, wrote in
:

[...]

Where are your test results showing a "significant" loss of gain with
a wind-bent antenna?

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:48 PM

102" whip

So the truth is that you have no idea why you got the results that you
did, correct?

I'll take your silence as a passive confirmation.

Oh, I have ideas but there is no way that I can make a complete
and definitive accounting of why the numbers are as is. I will not
even attempt to go that route. Going that route is like discussing
abortion. The only thing you'll get is an argument.

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:52 PM

102" whip

You typed some numbers on a keyboard and CLAIMED to have done a test.
Now you're playing stupid.

I'll go one step further: I'll buy the antenna and do the test, and if
the antenna performs according the results of your alleged test then
I'll send you the antenna for free -- AND $200 to boot. If it fails
then you just buy back the antenna. Is -that- a deal?

You are wasting your time. I want nothing to do with you or your
proposal.

What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:56 PM

102" whip

as I wrote it:

Then why even waste your time telling me to run the test? You're not
making any sense, tnom. My guess is that you changed -your- numbers,
or fudged them during the test, to make them consistent with your
anticipated results -regardless- of what you stated as your reason for
running the tests, which was most likely a lie intented to add a false
legitimacy to the results. After all, why would you (or anyone else
for that matter) buy an expensive antenna when you expected it to
fail? That doesn't make any sense either, tnom.

Gee, why am I not suprised that you resort to deceptive tactics when
your test results are contested?

Do the right thing and accept the challenge, tnom.

The only thing of substance that was different was this

"After all, why would you (or anyone else
for that matter) buy an expensive antenna when you expected it to
fail? That doesn't make any sense either, tnom."

I guess I can answer that. It may be a waste of money for you but
it's pennies to me.

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:59 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:43:51 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:33:12 -0500, wrote in
:

What was used for the field strength measuring device?

And what was used to produce a constant tone, tnom?

On this particular test I used a Radio Shack 27 mhz remote control
car transmitter that was hooked to a oversized battery and left
running until it stabilized.

I thought you said you used an SSB radio with a constant tone? I also
seem to recall that your constant tone 'generator' was you whistling
into the mic. Am I wrong or do I need to go swimming in google juice?

Not on the RS deluxe magmount test

[email protected] January 29th 06 09:11 PM

102" whip

Seeing how you brought up the bending of the antenna..........
Another disadvantage of the 102" ss whip is the gain lost because of
this bending. It is significant.

Where are your test results showing a "significant" loss of gain with
a wind-bent antenna?

Don't even need a test on this one.

1. It can be mathematically calculated. ( I'll let you do that)

2. It looses gain bad enough that you can actually see it and
hear it. Example :

Two vehicles are traveling together down the expressway at 75mph.
One uses a K-40. The other a 102" whip. Both appear to have similar
maximum S-meter readings but the 102 " whips signal fades in and out
The K-40 does some fading but not nearly as deep as the 102".

james January 29th 06 10:38 PM

102" whip

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:42:48 -0500, wrote:

+On 24 Jan 2006 19:28:09 -0800,
wrote:
+
+Im thinking of getting a 102" whip, I dont think I need the spring
+because of where im mounting it. But is it nessesary? Should I get it
+with the whip ?
+
+Here's another antenna test post I dug out of the archives.
+
+********************************************
+
+ I did this test a few years ago (minus the Wilson), at least as best
+I could. The problem is that when swapping the magmounts the
+position might change a little bit. If the position changes a little
+bit then the measured field strength may change a little bit also.
+Seeing how all of these antennas are very close to begin with
+then you have to wonder if the results may be off just a little bit?
+
+Anyway's, I did run the test and attempted to calibrate the results
+in db's . The calibration may be off a little bit, but the order from
+the best to the worst as I measured IS accurate.
+
+Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
+K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
+Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
+5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
+6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
+108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
+7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db
+
+Of coarse since the time of this test I have found
+and measured even better antennas. Of these the
+practical ones all use large diameter masting made of
+highly conductive material. A large diameter, air spaced
+overall antenna height

******
Were these antennae used as the transmitting or receiving antennae?
If transmitting antennae then what was the receiving antenna and
receiving equiptment. Second unknown is the path loss between the
transmiting antenna and the receiving antenna. Third item what was the
gain(dBi) of the receiving antenna. Without the above data, the above
results meaningless.

james

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 11:36 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:48:36 -0500, wrote in
:

So the truth is that you have no idea why you got the results that you
did, correct?

I'll take your silence as a passive confirmation.

Oh, I have ideas but there is no way that I can make a complete
and definitive accounting of why the numbers are as is. I will not
even attempt to go that route. Going that route is like discussing
abortion. The only thing you'll get is an argument.

Abortion is simple. I could summarize the problem in about four or
five paragraphs, and the solution in one or two more. The antenna
argument is even simpler. I have offered a solution which rewards you
with a new antenna and $200 if what you say is true, but costs you
only a gas fillup (and your integrity) if you lied. You have flatly
rejected my offer. That, my friend, is a stronger argument than any EM
theory you could assemble into a coherent explanation.

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 11:42 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:52:45 -0500, wrote in
:

You typed some numbers on a keyboard and CLAIMED to have done a test.
Now you're playing stupid.

I'll go one step further: I'll buy the antenna and do the test, and if
the antenna performs according the results of your alleged test then
I'll send you the antenna for free -- AND $200 to boot. If it fails
then you just buy back the antenna. Is -that- a deal?

You are wasting your time. I want nothing to do with you or your
proposal.

What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?

There must be something wrong with Usenet..... for some reason I can't
seem to get the message through to tnom that I would be putting up the
antenna -and- $200..... hello?..... testing 1, 2, 3, 4,..... is this
darn thing working?

Frank Gilliland January 29th 06 11:58 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:56:45 -0500, wrote in
:

as I wrote it:

[...]

Then it shouldn't be a problem to gamble mere pennies to have your
test verified independently. In fact, why don't you fly over and
monitor the test for yourself, Mr. Moneybags? Unless you live in
Timbuktu the lines will take longer than the flight. And just to make
it worthwhile I can provide a whole itinerary of places to go and
things to do while you're here. We have great skiing (49 Degrees North
has about 70" at the base and 120" at the summit with 15" of new snow
as of yesterday, and that's about the same for most of the resorts).
The falls are flowing pretty high right now too, and there's a
platform at the bottom where you can stand and feel the ground
literally shake beneath your feet while you get wet from the spray. We
have an Imax theater and huge ice-skating rink right in the middle of
Riverfront Park. And I know this great little blues club that serves
up some killer chicken wings. I also think there's a hamfest coming up
soon. And I still have friends at the station who will let me take you
on a tour so you can see what a -real- "driver" looks like. They might
even let you climb the tower to replace the lamps (if you don't mind a
little ice and bird ****).

So come on over, it'll be fun!!!

[email protected] January 29th 06 11:59 PM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:36:57 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:48:36 -0500, wrote in
:

So the truth is that you have no idea why you got the results that you
did, correct?

I'll take your silence as a passive confirmation.

Oh, I have ideas but there is no way that I can make a complete
and definitive accounting of why the numbers are as is. I will not
even attempt to go that route. Going that route is like discussing
abortion. The only thing you'll get is an argument.

Abortion is simple. I could summarize the problem in about four or
five paragraphs, and the solution in one or two more.

Wow. You are truly a smart man. I nominate you for the next
professorship. Irwin Corey would be proud.

The antenna
argument is even simpler. I have offered a solution which rewards you
with a new antenna and $200 if what you say is true, but costs you
only a gas fillup (and your integrity) if you lied. You have flatly
rejected my offer. That, my friend, is a stronger argument than any EM
theory you could assemble into a coherent explanation.

You have offered nothing that would influence me to help you out.
If you want to see the numbers either believe me or do the test
completely independent of my help.

[email protected] January 30th 06 12:01 AM

102" whip

You are wasting your time. I want nothing to do with you or your
proposal.

What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?

There must be something wrong with Usenet..... for some reason I can't
seem to get the message through to tnom that I would be putting up the
antenna -and- $200..... hello?..... testing 1, 2, 3, 4,..... is this
darn thing working?

What doesn't make sense. You putting up $200 for a $50 antenna?

I agree. You don't make sense.

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 12:07 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:11:34 -0500, wrote in
:

Seeing how you brought up the bending of the antenna..........
Another disadvantage of the 102" ss whip is the gain lost because of
this bending. It is significant.

Where are your test results showing a "significant" loss of gain with
a wind-bent antenna?

Don't even need a test on this one.

In your own words:

"If you really wanted to prove it you'd run the test. You don't
because it would upset your thinking on antennas."

"A test is better than no test."

1. It can be mathematically calculated. ( I'll let you do that)

"I don't care what makes it bad. Do the test then you can hypothesize
as to why it didn't perform."

2. It looses gain bad enough that you can actually see it and
hear it. Example :

Two vehicles are traveling together down the expressway at 75mph.
One uses a K-40. The other a 102" whip. Both appear to have similar
maximum S-meter readings but the 102 " whips signal fades in and out
The K-40 does some fading but not nearly as deep as the 102".

"All we need are the facts. Just the facts. Go get the
facts. Run the test and stop posturing."

But I think this one is closer to the truth:

"You are not going to get a definitive answer from me, just
conjecture."

[email protected] January 30th 06 12:08 AM

102" whip

+Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
+K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
+Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
+5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
+6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
+108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
+7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db

Were these antennae used as the transmitting or receiving antennae?
If transmitting antennae then what was the receiving antenna and
receiving equiptment. Second unknown is the path loss between the
transmiting antenna and the receiving antenna. Third item what was the
gain(dBi) of the receiving antenna. Without the above data, the above
results meaningless.

Who's talking dbi ? I'm not. The reference was the RS deluxe mag
mount. Referenced at 0db

As I explained. The order of best to worst is accurate. Calibrating
the results into db is as explained below. Meaningless? I don't think
so.

This test was done with an in sight very low power remote transmitter
located about 200 yards away. A regular CB was used with low
readings on the S-meter to give me a relative field strength. The
exact S numbers were noted. Then next step was to calibrate the
readings.

The db calculation were computed after taking the same CB and exciting
it with a variable power transmitter to see how the noted S-meter
readings related to power output of the variable transmitter.

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 12:12 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:59:12 -0500, wrote in
:

wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:48:36 -0500,
wrote in
:

So the truth is that you have no idea why you got the results that you
did, correct?

I'll take your silence as a passive confirmation.

Oh, I have ideas but there is no way that I can make a complete
and definitive accounting of why the numbers are as is. I will not
even attempt to go that route. Going that route is like discussing
abortion. The only thing you'll get is an argument.

Abortion is simple. I could summarize the problem in about four or
five paragraphs, and the solution in one or two more.

Wow. You are truly a smart man.

Yes I am.

I nominate you for the next
professorship. Irwin Corey would be proud.

Nobody cares.

The antenna
argument is even simpler. I have offered a solution which rewards you
with a new antenna and $200 if what you say is true, but costs you
only a gas fillup (and your integrity) if you lied. You have flatly
rejected my offer. That, my friend, is a stronger argument than any EM
theory you could assemble into a coherent explanation.

You have offered nothing that would influence me to help you out.
If you want to see the numbers either believe me or do the test
completely independent of my help.

I'm not asking for your help at all, tnom. I'm trying to see how much
confidence, if any, you have in your test results. So far you haven't
been able to demonstrate any confidence whatsoever.

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 12:19 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:01:32 -0500, wrote in
:

You are wasting your time. I want nothing to do with you or your
proposal.

What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?

There must be something wrong with Usenet..... for some reason I can't
seem to get the message through to tnom that I would be putting up the
antenna -and- $200..... hello?..... testing 1, 2, 3, 4,..... is this
darn thing working?

What doesn't make sense. You putting up $200 for a $50 antenna?

I agree. You don't make sense.

What doesn't make sense is you -refusing- $200 and a free antenna. If
your test results are valid then that's what you get. But since I
don't believe you ran a valid test, and you keep pushing people to buy
the antenna and test it for themselves, it only seems right that you
should have some sort of stake in this test. Since the antenna costs
you only pennies then just how much of a risk is it to you, tnom?

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 12:33 AM

"What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?"

Just to make it absolutely clear:

- I buy the antenna.

- You can monitor the test yourself, or send as many representatives
as you like -- the more the merrier.

- If the antenna works like you say then you get the antenna, $200, a
public apology, and I'll leave the newsgroup forever.

- If it doesn't then you buy the antenna for "pennies".

Well?

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:17 AM

"What's the matter? Can't you afford to take a gamble?"

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:33:38 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

Just to make it absolutely clear:

- I buy the antenna.

- You can monitor the test yourself, or send as many representatives
as you like -- the more the merrier.

- If the antenna works like you say then you get the antenna, $200, a
public apology, and I'll leave the newsgroup forever.

- If it doesn't then you buy the antenna for "pennies".

Well?

I expect you to do the test without any help from me.

I also expect you to have an independent trusted representative
confirm the validity of the test as YOU suggested.

Anything short of that is worthless as is your offer.

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:22 AM

102" whip

You have offered nothing that would influence me to help you out.
If you want to see the numbers either believe me or do the test
completely independent of my help.

I'm not asking for your help at all, tnom. I'm trying to see how much
confidence, if any, you have in your test results. So far you haven't
been able to demonstrate any confidence whatsoever.

It has nothing to do with me not being confident in the results. It
has to do with me not being confident in any of your assertions of
a fair test. You have long ago lost my trust. Why should I start to
trust you now?

Don't bother answering! I can't trust your answer anyway.

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:27 AM

102" whip

Don't even need a test on this one.

2. It looses gain bad enough that you can actually see it and
hear it. Example :

Two vehicles are traveling together down the expressway at 75mph.
One uses a K-40. The other a 102" whip. Both appear to have similar
maximum S-meter readings but the 102 " whips signal fades in and out
The K-40 does some fading but not nearly as deep as the 102".

"All we need are the facts. Just the facts. Go get the
facts. Run the test and stop posturing."

But I think this one is closer to the truth:

"You are not going to get a definitive answer from me, just
conjecture."

I'll repeat. No test is necessary in my mind. I have seen the above
scenario more than once. If you don't believe it then you test it.

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:37 AM

102" whip

[...]

I don't gamble and you have cooties anyway. Seeing how you can't
afford this antenna why don't you use your self proclaimed expertise
and make an appropriate substitute. Or maybe you can borrow one from
one of your friends at the truck stop. You do have friends don't you?

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:46 AM

102" whip

What doesn't make sense is you -refusing- $200 and a free antenna. If
your test results are valid then that's what you get. But since I
don't believe you ran a valid test, and you keep pushing people to buy
the antenna and test it for themselves, it only seems right that you
should have some sort of stake in this test. Since the antenna costs
you only pennies then just how much of a risk is it to you, tnom?

Seeing how my original intention was to show that the X-Terminator
was an under performer * I find it hard to believe that I fudged the
numbers so that the outcome would dispute my own statements of it
being an under performer.

* (You can research my posts on this manner that occurred before I
ever ran the test, don't ask me to do it for you)

Jack O'Neill January 30th 06 02:50 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:58:32 -0800, Jay in the Mojave

wrote:

Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db

So let me understand these readings you made... the DLX antenna was
your baseline?

Yes. It was the lowest and became the reference

Hello Tnom:

Good going doing the testing. There are a lot of guys out there that do
not test anything and just recite books. Usually the guys who write the
books aren't the guys who design and test the antennas. And that testing
data is held quiet in the companies files.

I hear this recited stuff all the time. But theres no substitute for
hands on testing and comparison testing.

What was used for the field strength measuring device?

This test was done with an in sight very low power remote transmitter
located about 200 yards away. A regular CB was used with low
readings on the S-meter to give me a relative field strength. The
exact S numbers were noted. Then next step was to calibrate the
readings.

The db calculation were computed after taking the same CB and exciting
it with a variable power transmitter to see how the noted S-meter
readings related to power output of the variable transmitter.

K40, 8db gain? wow! bologna

Jack O'Neill January 30th 06 02:54 AM

102" whip

wrote:

[...]

Thats why you don't use a spring. Also, remember, antenna height is
most of this hobby as far as how
good you get out. A 102 inch whip is pretty high. Best for transmit
and receive!
73

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:54 AM

102" whip

Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db
Radio Shack 4.5' center load .................. 1.4db
5' Firestik ................................................ 3db
6.5" Hustler top load ............................... 4db
108' Stainless Steel whip ........................ 4.5db
7' Firestik .................................................. . 5db

K40, 8db gain? wow! bologna

Get some glasses.

I bet you didn't realize that the K-40 actually has
* more than 60db gain

* (referenced to a dummy load)

[email protected] January 30th 06 02:56 AM

102" whip

Seeing how you brought up the bending of the antenna..........
Another disadvantage of the 102" ss whip is the gain lost because of
this bending. It is significant.

Thats why you don't use a spring. Also, remember, antenna height is
most of this hobby as far as how
good you get out. A 102 inch whip is pretty high. Best for transmit
and receive!
73

It's good. It's just not the best.

Jack O'Neill January 30th 06 03:01 AM

102" whip

Jack O'Neill wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh, forgot to say when I used my 102 inch whip I mounted it with a tilt
towards the front of the car slightly.
This way at 60 MPH it would stay pretty much vertical.

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 03:03 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:22:23 -0500, wrote in
:

You have offered nothing that would influence me to help you out.
If you want to see the numbers either believe me or do the test
completely independent of my help.

I'm not asking for your help at all, tnom. I'm trying to see how much
confidence, if any, you have in your test results. So far you haven't
been able to demonstrate any confidence whatsoever.

It has nothing to do with me not being confident in the results. It
has to do with me not being confident in any of your assertions of
a fair test. You have long ago lost my trust. Why should I start to
trust you now?

Don't bother answering! I can't trust your answer anyway.

That's why I offered, many times, to have others present to monitor
the test. Or didn't you read it the first six times I wrote it?

Volker Tonn January 30th 06 03:04 AM

102" whip

wrote:

Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
K-40 .................................................. ....... .8db

K40, 8db gain? wow! bologna

Take your glasses and read again!

K-40 .8db

Just type "'point' 8" into your calculator and look what happens..... :-)

Jack O'Neill January 30th 06 03:05 AM

102" whip

Volker Tonn wrote:

wrote:

Radio Shack DLX magmount .................... 0db
K-40 .................................................. .......
.8db

K40, 8db gain? wow! bologna

Take your glasses and read again!

K-40 .8db

Just type "'point' 8" into your calculator and look what happens.....
:-)

OH, .8, GOT IT!!! my goof. Thats better!! ;-)

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 03:06 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:46:56 -0500, wrote in
:

What doesn't make sense is you -refusing- $200 and a free antenna. If
your test results are valid then that's what you get. But since I
don't believe you ran a valid test, and you keep pushing people to buy
the antenna and test it for themselves, it only seems right that you
should have some sort of stake in this test. Since the antenna costs
you only pennies then just how much of a risk is it to you, tnom?

Seeing how my original intention was to show that the X-Terminator
was an under performer * I find it hard to believe that I fudged the
numbers so that the outcome would dispute my own statements of it
being an under performer.

* (You can research my posts on this manner that occurred before I
ever ran the test, don't ask me to do it for you)

I know exactly what you wrote as your intended purpose of the test.
You've said it many, many times, and unlike you, I can read and
understand something the -first- time.

What you -still- can't understand is that I believe your claim (as to
your original intent) to be a lie. Regardless, my intent is to do the
same; if my results are the same as yours, wouldn't that be a huge
endorsement not just for the antenna, but also for your credibility?
If your results were valid then what do you have to lose?

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 03:08 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:37:41 -0500, wrote in
:

[...]

Nope. No friends at all, tnom. Never did, never will.

Frank Gilliland January 30th 06 03:10 AM

102" whip

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:27:19 -0500, wrote in
:

Don't even need a test on this one.

2. It looses gain bad enough that you can actually see it and
hear it. Example :

Two vehicles are traveling together down the expressway at 75mph.
One uses a K-40. The other a 102" whip. Both appear to have similar
maximum S-meter readings but the 102 " whips signal fades in and out
The K-40 does some fading but not nearly as deep as the 102".

"All we need are the facts. Just the facts. Go get the
facts. Run the test and stop posturing."

But I think this one is closer to the truth:

"You are not going to get a definitive answer from me, just
conjecture."

I'll repeat. No test is necessary in my mind. I have seen the above
scenario more than once. If you don't believe it then you test it.

In your mind is exactly where -all- your tests take place.