Old March 9th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
Gordon Hudson

Default What's missing?

"The Magnum" wrote in message
"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
Over the years, here in the UK, we have lost most CB shops. Very few
are
left and it seems that
products are disappearing, as one of our main dealer no longer lists

some
of the items that
were listed a couple of years back.

Full size quarter wave whips (stainless steel, not two part fibreglass).
I have not seen those for a while.
I used to use them for commercial applications as they were a fraction of
the price of the commercial equivalent
and less likely to break if hit by a tree.
Two piece ones are useless.

I used to have one of those back in the early 90's on a very strong mount
fitted to the rear of my old Fiat Panda. People said it looked like a
dodgem
car but it got out well ;o)

I had a mini with a full size quarter wave for 20m on the roof (5m long).
Valve powered radio with inverter.
Now that did look silly.

Old March 10th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
From the shack of G1LVN

"Peter" wrote in message
Over the years, here in the UK, we have lost most CB shops. Very few are

left and it seems that
products are disappearing, as one of our main dealer no longer lists some

of the items that
were listed a couple of years back.

I noticed that certain CB books are no longer listed here, although they

are still in print.
Certain other products are still available, but are simply not listed in

the shop catalogues.
Maybe the companies are selling directly and cheaply on the Net, giving

the dealers no chance
of competing.
But I have heard one person moaning, saying that he would rather get an

illegal copy of a book
than order the real thing from America.

Is there the same problem in America, products disappearing?
What CB products do you wish were still available or were missed by

companies but could have
sold? What do you really wish you could find in the shops?

lolLOADS0 OVER0 AMATEUR0 ON0 PIRATE0 BANDNS 0BELOW 0700 mCS

We0 love0 you0 ALL0 73'S0 AND0 GUD NIGHT0 DE0 g1lvn

Old March 14th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
Peter

"Gordon Hudson" wrote...

"Dr.Death" wrote...

Radio Shack still sells them. There are probably a dozen online stores
that sell them also. I get mine from the CB shop at the truckstop.

in the UK?

Doubtful, as Tandy stores closed down some years back.

Regards,
Peter.

Old March 14th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
Peter

"Gordon Hudson" wrote...

"The Magnum" wrote...

I used to have one of those back in the early 90's on a very strong mount
fitted to the rear of my old Fiat Panda. People said it looked like a
dodgem
car but it got out well ;o)

I had a mini with a full size quarter wave for 20m on the roof (5m long).
Valve powered radio with inverter.
Now that did look silly.

Some time back, as I was returning home after shopping, I noticed a new antenna over the top of
the houses. Strange thing was that it's position appeared to be between the houses... in the
middle of the road.

As I got to the corner, I spotted what it was... a BBC radio car with a small antenna on a big
mast. Quite a small car, considering the size of mast.
I would guess that the mast fitted through the roof and would be strapped to the floor of the
vehicle.

Regards,
Peter.

Old March 14th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
Peter

"The Magnum" wrote...

I used to have one of those back in the early 90's on a very strong mount
fitted to the rear of my old Fiat Panda.

You admit to driving a Fiat Panda... have you no shame?
Next you'll be telling us the radio was a Fidelity 1000.

;~)

Peter.

Old March 14th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
The Magnum

"Peter" wrote in message
"The Magnum" wrote...

I used to have one of those back in the early 90's on a very strong

mount
fitted to the rear of my old Fiat Panda.

You admit to driving a Fiat Panda... have you no shame?
Next you'll be telling us the radio was a Fidelity 1000.

;~)

Peter.

It was the Mr's car which I occasionally used if I was too lazy arsed to get
mine out of the Garage. As for the Fidelity 1000, yes they were cracking
rigs, well sort after and most people would aspire to owning one.
Occasionally, if you are very lucky, you see the odd one on eBay mustering a
small fortune (Very Small ;o)

Graham
--

Radio is only a Hobby. Don't let it rule your life...

73/51 - Graham, 26-Golf Charlie-19 (www.open-channel.co.uk)