Old April 17th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Robbie McFerren

Default Should I give up my CB for ham?

You can't give up CB completely. You should still have your CB to
listen on channel 19, swear, etc. You are going to have fun on ham (I'm
not one, nor have I used my CB in a while either), but you get to play
with satellites (including bouncing signals off the moon), repeaters,
phone patch, TV, microwaves, computer data and more. This is done on a
tech class license. If you go higher you get morse code, and
shortwaves. Ooh I forgot to mention you get to use FM, VHF/UHF/SHF/EHF,
and 1000 watts.

Slow Code wrote:
"Jim Hampton" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
k.net...
"Kissel" wrote in
ps.com:

ALot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and
that I should replace the CB in my truck wait a ham radio. What do
you think?

Don't bother changing. The ARRL (Anti-Radio-Relay-League) has gone to
great lengths to try and make ham radio just like CB. You won't gain
anything except the expense of another radio. And besides, next year
you'll be able to get a ham license as the free surprise in a box of
Cracker Jack.

HTH

RB

Thanks for the post - I had removed rec.radio.cb and
rec.radio.amateur.policy .... and had removed my rules. You just gave
me a one-up on my rules )

With all due regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

LOL.

Well, it's not that bad. But just look around the rec.radio.amateur.***
groups and you can see some of the people you could run into on the ham
bands.

Scary, isn't it.

SC

Old April 17th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

Robbie McFerren wrote:
You can't give up CB completely. You should still have your CB to
listen on channel 19, swear, etc. You are going to have fun on ham (I'm
not one, nor have I used my CB in a while either), but you get to play
with satellites (including bouncing signals off the moon), repeaters,
phone patch, TV, microwaves, computer data and more. This is done on a
tech class license. If you go higher you get morse code, and
shortwaves. Ooh I forgot to mention you get to use FM, VHF/UHF/SHF/EHF,
and 1000 watts.

wellyou can give CB just no reason to do so.

and the coderequirement is dead soonand itis 1500 watts btw