RadioBanter

-   -   DSB SC Mode (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/96297-dsb-sc-mode.html)

Jay in the Mojave June 10th 06 05:05 PM

DSB SC Mode

Hello All:

Yeah Double Side band, suppressed carrier.

A lot of the CB radios use to transmit DSB, not SSB. Many commercial
radios did also in commercial use. But as time has allowed for circuits
to be made around a integrated circuit, SSB Single Side band has taken
over, as its more efficient. Ya get more effective output with SSB than DSB.

Jay in the Mojave

Jan Panteltje June 11th 06 03:38 PM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (11 Jun 2006 06:53:18 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

Jay,

Yes... SSB has it's advantages... but several disadvantages. The main
reason I stay away from SSB is the critical tuning. Somebody always
comes on sounding like Donald Duck... LOL. I spend more time tuning
people in then talking to them. And then there's the three way
conversation... where you have to tune back and forth between the other
two guys. Forget it. And last, there's alway the fact that until the
CBs reach a stable operating temperature... your tuning like crazy.
Nope, SSB is not for me... I have my DSB-SC... and it doesn't have
those problems.

Something wrong here, DSB-SC received on a normal set can only be
made 'inteligible' if it is received as SSB.
SSB is simply one sideband of the 2 DSB sends, so your BFO is [just as]
critical.
If you BFO is of center (so you re-insert the wrong carrier) and your RX
filter already removed the other sideband, then you have all the 'duck'
sound of SSB.
Moderns CB sets have no 'DSB' option, only USB / LSB, so always use one
sideband.
In case a set DOES pass both sideband, you get double the problem....

Maybe you mean something else by DSB-SC altogether? Leave SOME carrier?

Telstar Electronics June 11th 06 09:35 PM

DSB SC Mode

Not sure what you're talking about. When I say DSB... I'm referring to
what others call the AM mode.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Jan Panteltje June 11th 06 10:16 PM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (11 Jun 2006 13:35:21 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

Not sure what you're talking about. When I say DSB... I'm referring to
what others call the AM mode.

www.telstar-electronics.com

DSB-SC (as you originally referred to) stands for:
Double Sideband Suppressed Carrier.
So, if the carrier is surpressed, then you have only 2 sidebands if a signal
is present (single tone modulation), nothing if no modulation is present.
http://www.ece.drexel.edu/courses/ECE-S306/lab3.pdf
Look at figure 4, for a single tone modulating audio signal.
You will notice it is quite different from AM!

Normal AM is also DSB, but the carrier is not surpressed.
Better to say AM if you mean AM, DSB is often used for DSB-SC.

Telstar Electronics June 12th 06 12:51 AM

DSB SC Mode

I looked at your document. It's exactly what I'm talking about AM...
without a solid carrier at no modulation. That's exactly what mode I'm
running. With my amplifier being able to key on a multiplexed signal
from my radio... The DSB-SC mode really is impressive on the air at
high power levels. I would never go back to pure AM mode. And you
already know my feelings about SSB... it's got too many negatives for
my liking.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Jan Panteltje June 12th 06 11:26 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (11 Jun 2006 16:51:31 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

I looked at your document. It's exactly what I'm talking about AM...
without a solid carrier at no modulation. That's exactly what mode I'm
running. With my amplifier being able to key on a multiplexed signal
from my radio... The DSB-SC mode really is impressive on the air at
high power levels. I would never go back to pure AM mode. And you
already know my feelings about SSB... it's got too many negatives for
my liking.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Hmmm does not clear up confusion, do you receive it with an AM receiver
and no BFO? Then it is no DSB-SC.

There exist AM modulation modes where the carrier is somewhat reduced during
low modulation levels..... This wil lwork, but is still AM.
Maybe that is what you mean?

You will note the 'double phase rectifier' like waveform for DBS-SC.
In case of that modified AM you have sine wave.

So: if you can receive it on an AM receiver without BFO it is AM or
a variant there of.
If you need a BFO in any way it is DSB-SC, SSB, LSB, USB whatever.

As far as range is concerned, SSB DSB will beat any system (with SSB being
better then DSB).

The variable carrier level AM, if used to give some 'extra' power to the AM
stage at high amplitudes, will give some extra rane.
however for weak passages in the audio there will be more noise then a similar
AM system with noraml carrier, as simply there will be less carrier output.

Some AM broadcast statons, if not all? Use that system.

But who knows HiFi these days.. mp3... low bitrates...

Telstar Electronics June 12th 06 01:35 PM

DSB SC Mode

I guess you're right. In the strictest sense DSB-SC, there is no
transmission of the carrier at all. That is not the mode I'm talking
about. I guess I was using DSB-SC interchangably with the mode where
the carrier is only temporarily supressed. I would certainly not be
interested in the mode where the carrier is no longer transmitted...
for the same reason I don't like like the SSB mode... mainly the
constant fussing over the tuning. Thanks for the correction...

www.telstar-electronics.com

Jan Panteltje June 12th 06 03:11 PM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:13:42 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.13.13.40.351000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:38:54 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Something wrong here, DSB-SC received on a normal set can only be
made 'inteligible' if it is received as SSB.
SSB is simply one sideband of the 2 DSB sends, so your BFO is [just as]
critical.

DSB-SC can be received by an ordinary AM detector, no BFO required. The
two sidebands work with one another to provide the entirety of the signal
so there is no garble effect as encountered when one of the sidebands is
suppressed.

Bull****.

Jan Panteltje June 12th 06 04:28 PM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:09:45 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.15.09.44.566000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:11:03 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Bull****.

Is that your concise description of coherent detection?

Bet you do not know what 'coherent detection' is.

because if you did, you would not have written that.

Ok, now rent a brain for a day, and thinks.

*IF you have an AM receiver, and set the transmitetr carrier to zero,
as in the case of DSB-SC with no modulation (= silence remember),
then what WOULD you hear?
I will tell you: All the noise in the band.
Not good for silence, specially if good conditions exist!

So you could have figured that out if you had been created with a brain.

Also, you did not bother to look up the waveform, you just write some bull,
never even designed a DSB-SC transmitter, much less ever used one.

No this is perhaps not a politically correct answer, but hopefully you
wil lread those papers, gooogle DVB-SC, and learn something, and then
stop spreading dis-information.

Telstar Electronics June 12th 06 07:20 PM

DSB SC Mode

Hmmm... that's what I thought originally. Now I'm getting confused. I'm
real interested how this discussion shakes out...

www.telstar-electronics.com

DSB-SC can be received by an ordinary AM detector, no BFO required. The
two sidebands work with one another to provide the entirety of the signal
so there is no garble effect as encountered when one of the sidebands is
suppressed. In SSB the BFO supplies the missing side's opposite phase and
because it's local and not sent with the signal is why it's precise
tuning (or phase relationship) is critical.

Jan Panteltje June 12th 06 07:34 PM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (12 Jun 2006 11:20:24 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

Hmmm... that's what I thought originally. Now I'm getting confused. I'm
real interested how this discussion shakes out...

Do not listen to him, it is 100% nonsense.

Very simply:
An AM detector is an 'enveloppe' detector,
a DSB and SSB detector is a 'product detector'.

You have seen that waveform I pointed out in fig 4 for a sine wave single
tone modulation, the amplitude of the RF signal dos not really look like a
sinewave does it?

So you hear sever distortion, in fact you cannot make out what it is.

In a product detector the BFO is the 'substitute' carrier, and multiplication
of one (SSB) or both (DSB) sideband[s] gives the original modulation.

There is in fact no need for the 'other' sideband in DSB-SC, no problem if
the receiver filters it out, that is why you can receive DSB-SC both with
USB and LSB!

But for the non-believers, try it out, all you need is an audio amp,
oscillator, 4 diodes, and of course a 27 HHz xtal oscillator.
http://www.nzart.org.nz/nzart/examin...les/Mixers.htm

There is a description and diagram a bit down on the page.

Listen to it on an AM receiver, and you will KNOW.

james June 12th 06 09:22 PM

DSB SC Mode

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:38:54 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

+++Something wrong here, DSB-SC received on a normal set can only be
+++made 'inteligible' if it is received as SSB.
+++SSB is simply one sideband of the 2 DSB sends, so your BFO is [just as]
+++critical.
+++If you BFO is of center (so you re-insert the wrong carrier) and your RX
+++filter already removed the other sideband, then you have all the 'duck'
+++sound of SSB.
+++Moderns CB sets have no 'DSB' option, only USB / LSB, so always use one
+++sideband.
+++In case a set DOES pass both sideband, you get double the problem....
+++
+++Maybe you mean something else by DSB-SC altogether? Leave SOME carrier?

**************************

DSB-SC reception is not restricted to just SSB-SC receivers. A DSB-SC
signal can be received by reinjecting the carrier, even on a DSB
receiver.

DSB-SC stands for Double Sideband Supressed Carrier.

james

james June 12th 06 09:23 PM

DSB SC Mode

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:16:28 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

+++On a sunny day (11 Jun 2006 13:35:21 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
oups.com:
+++
+++Not sure what you're talking about. When I say DSB... I'm referring to
+++what others call the AM mode.
+++
+++www.telstar-electronics.com
+++
+++
+++DSB-SC (as you originally referred to) stands for:
+++Double Sideband Suppressed Carrier.
+++So, if the carrier is surpressed, then you have only 2 sidebands if a signal
+++is present (single tone modulation), nothing if no modulation is present.
+++ http://www.ece.drexel.edu/courses/ECE-S306/lab3.pdf
+++Look at figure 4, for a single tone modulating audio signal.
+++You will notice it is quite different from AM!
+++
+++Normal AM is also DSB, but the carrier is not surpressed.
+++Better to say AM if you mean AM, DSB is often used for DSB-SC.

______________

AM == Double Sideband Full Carrier.

james

DrDeath June 12th 06 10:17 PM

DSB SC Mode

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
oups.com...
So let me get this straight... In DSB-SC... both sidebands are
transmitted... but there is no carrier sent at all? Correct?... and the
carrier is re-inserted at the receiver.

Now with the swing set-up... both sidebands are transmitted... along
with the carrier... but the carrier's amplitude changes from extremely
low to a normal AM carrier when the modulation is added.

www.telstar-electronics.com

There is no carrier. It's like listening to LSB and USB at the same time. If
you remove half the ssb signal, say LSB, you would hear more of the donald
duck sound due to the reduced size of the bandwidth. Just forget AM carrier
when talking DSB-SC as it just isn't there. DSB is AM and when the carrier
is removed you have DSB-SC

james June 13th 06 01:32 AM

DSB SC Mode

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:34:51 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

+++On a sunny day (12 Jun 2006 11:20:24 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
oups.com:
+++
+++Hmmm... that's what I thought originally. Now I'm getting confused. I'm
+++real interested how this discussion shakes out...
+++
+++Do not listen to him, it is 100% nonsense.
+++
+++Very simply:
+++An AM detector is an 'enveloppe' detector,
+++a DSB and SSB detector is a 'product detector'.

*****

A product Detector is prefered due to its mixer characteristics. Being
balanced, the two inputs are supressed sufficiently to make filtering
their components in the output much easier. Product detectors and
Envelope dection is not the only means of detecting DSB-SC and DSB-LC
signals. They are the most simplest and easiest to implement.

+++
+++You have seen that waveform I pointed out in fig 4 for a sine wave single
+++tone modulation, the amplitude of the RF signal dos not really look like a
+++sinewave does it?
+++
+++So you hear sever distortion, in fact you cannot make out what it is.
+++

*****

Distortion of the RF waveform may not nescessarily indicate that the
detected audio is unintelligable. As long as the recovered audio is
reproduced accuarately during demodulation then there is no
distortion. Spectral content of the demodualted signal can be set by
post detection filtering. This can reduce to some extent the harmonics
of the modulating signal.

By the way the lab you point to is more about the generation of a DSB
signal. From figure 4 you are making statements about demodulation.

+++In a product detector the BFO is the 'substitute' carrier, and multiplication
+++of one (SSB) or both (DSB) sideband[s] gives the original modulation.
+++
+++There is in fact no need for the 'other' sideband in DSB-SC, no problem if
+++the receiver filters it out, that is why you can receive DSB-SC both with
+++USB and LSB!
+++

***********

Since the information in both sidebands are indentical the only need
for the second sideband is to increase demodulated audio.

james June 13th 06 01:44 AM

DSB SC Mode

On 12 Jun 2006 13:42:26 -0700, "Telstar Electronics"
wrote:

+++So let me get this straight... In DSB-SC... both sidebands are
+++transmitted... but there is no carrier sent at all? Correct?... and the
+++carrier is re-inserted at the receiver.
+++

*************

Not exactly. Supressed carrier is just that. The carrier is suppressed
by a desired amount measured in dBs. It can be fully suppressed or
partially supressed.

+++Now with the swing set-up... both sidebands are transmitted... along
+++with the carrier... but the carrier's amplitude changes from extremely
+++low to a normal AM carrier when the modulation is added.
+++

*************

There is several techniques that has been used in amatuer radio for
many decades. One stems from the old tube days called grid modulation.
What happens here is that the modulated stage, usually the final RF
stage, has the modulation signal applied to the grid of the tube. By
varying the grid voltage at an audio rate, the bias on the tube
varies. This will change the gain of the tube. What happens then is
when there is no modulation signal the tube is at or near cutoff and
there is little carrier. As you modulate the carrier varies at an
audio rate. Disadvantage of this method is the maximum percentage of
modulation is about 85%.

Another method is one sed by the Drake 4 line series of transmitters.
This is where modulation is applied to a low level stage. Usually a
balanced modulator. To achieve AM, the balanced modulator is slightly
kicked off balanced to allow a small amount of carrier to appear at
the output. With modualtion this will vary some. Subsequent stages of
amplification will bring the signal up to the desired level.

james

james June 13th 06 01:49 AM

DSB SC Mode

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:50:21 GMT, Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote:

+++On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:17:21 -0500, DrDeath wrote:
+++
+++ There is no carrier.
+++
+++No Carrier - no propagation

******************

You have to remember that in DSB-SC and in SSB tranmission the audio,
modulating signal, spectrum is mixed up to the desire frequency range.
In these voice signals the audio is now moved u p in the frequency
spectrum. That is essentially what modulation does, frequency
transform. In both DSB-SC and SSB, your are now transmitting a band of
frequencies that is equaly to the voice bandwidth at varying power
densities.

In DSB-LC, the carrier goes along for the ride to demodulate the
signals at the receiver. The carrier does not carry ant information at
all.

james

an old freind June 13th 06 01:59 AM

DSB SC Mode

Telstar Electronics wrote:
Hmmm... that's what I thought originally. Now I'm getting confused. I'm
real interested how this discussion shakes out...

www.telstar-electronics.com

indeed a something close to a flamefest of a what to call mode

oh well at least it is a reasonably on topic post for once

personaly I like basci AM well enough although I use SSB on cb since I
can't legaly boost the power level but in ham bands I love AM better

Telstar Electronics June 13th 06 02:34 AM

DSB SC Mode

Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

I still trying to research this topic.... since there seems to be
considerably different views of DSB-SC out here. I'm starting to think
my original statement that a very high swing AM transmission can be
considered a DSB-SC... and requires no special BFO tuning.

www.telstar-electronics.com

DrDeath June 13th 06 03:01 AM

DSB SC Mode

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

I still trying to research this topic.... since there seems to be
considerably different views of DSB-SC out here. I'm starting to think
my original statement that a very high swing AM transmission can be
considered a DSB-SC... and requires no special BFO tuning.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Nope, if you listen with your rig set to AM and the transmission is DSB-SC
you will hear a garbled mess. If you set both rigs to AM and lower the
deadkey to say an 1/8 watt with 15 watts of swing you can understand the low
dead key rig.

Steveo June 13th 06 03:25 AM

DSB SC Mode

"Telstar Electronics" wrote:
Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

Here's who dogie is. (like you didn't know, griffey)

http://n8wwm.4t.com/photo.html

DrDeath June 13th 06 03:41 AM

DSB SC Mode

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Telstar Electronics" wrote:
Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

Here's who dogie is. (like you didn't know, griffey)

http://n8wwm.4t.com/photo.html

He's been here long enough to know. The question is whether he is playing
stupid or just plain stupid.

DrDeath June 13th 06 03:49 AM

DSB SC Mode

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

I still trying to research this topic.... since there seems to be
considerably different views of DSB-SC out here. I'm starting to think
my original statement that a very high swing AM transmission can be
considered a DSB-SC... and requires no special BFO tuning.

www.telstar-electronics.com

I agree that we finally have a topic worth discussing. The sad part is you
call yourself a professor, and design and build amps, leading one to believe
you know about radio, yet are having a tough time grasping the DSB-SC theory

Steveo June 13th 06 04:44 AM

DSB SC Mode

"DrDeath" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Telstar Electronics" wrote:
Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

Here's who dogie is. (like you didn't know, griffey)

http://n8wwm.4t.com/photo.html

He's been here long enough to know. The question is whether he is playing
stupid or just plain stupid.

He's been kissing up to him for years..ask anyone that would know. They've
both have an angle to sell something, and there's nothing wrong with that
as long as you're careful who you are in business with.

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 10:49 AM

DSB SC Mode

wrote:

[...]

It can be received even on an AM receiver if you feed in a local oscillator
at fc, I have done this, so what is your point?

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 10:49 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:19:21 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.23.19.18.864000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:28:30 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

snipped the cerebral cesspool

No this is perhaps not a politically correct answer, but hopefully you
wil lread those papers, gooogle DVB-SC, and learn something, and then
stop spreading dis-information.

OK
Here's what your learned suggestion yielded; http://tinyurl.com/g7wy6

I have to admit the results exceeded my ability to correlate them to the
topic of discussion, so I guess you win by virtue of posting sufficient
arcane bull**** to shock and awe me into submission. ;-)

idiot.

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:15 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:32:38 GMT) it happened james
wrote in :

A product Detector is prefered due to its mixer characteristics. Being
balanced, the two inputs are supressed sufficiently to make filtering
their components in the output much easier. Product detectors and
Envelope dection is not the only means of detecting DSB-SC and DSB-LC
signals. They are the most simplest and easiest to implement.

I have used sampling to demodulate QAM, In any color TV you will find it,
carrier is regenerated in phase from the color burst, look up NTSC.
And there we have 2 modulating systems, here is how that works in the
time domain:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...ce23fcbb253646

The main thing is perhaps that you can see that in SSB, if we have 1MHz
carrier, and 1kHz sine modulation, we get a 1.001 MHz carrier (or 0.999 if
the other sideband is used.
So to get the original back, it would be sufficient to substract the 1MHz
again in the first case (1.001 - 1) = 1kHz, or in the other case 1 - .999.

In the DSB-SC case we would have 1.001 AND .999 AT THE SAME TIME.

Using one sideband is enough. DSB uses double the bandwidth and as such
is less efficient then SSB,

Distortion of the RF waveform may not nescessarily indicate that the
detected audio is unintelligable. As long as the recovered audio is
reproduced accuarately during demodulation then there is no
distortion.

But it won't [work].
What the 4 diode ring modulator does, is make a RF amplitude phase phi
when the audio signal goes positive proportional to the audio amplitude,
and the same with phase phi+180 degrees when the audio signal goes negative.
If you do AM envelope detector (as the you normally do with a diode and RC
lowpass) you get a wave form that is no longer a sine, but looks like double
phase rectified sine when filtered.

Spectral content of the demodualted signal can be set by
post detection filtering. This can reduce to some extent the harmonics
of the modulating signal.

By the way the lab you point to is more about the generation of a DSB
signal. From figure 4 you are making statements about demodulation.

Of course, lok at that waveform, build a 'non distorting AM detector
for it without carrier re-insertion (BFO, some oscillator), you CANNOT.
Modulation /demodulation is related.

Please build one, try it,

Since the information in both sidebands are indentical the only need
for the second sideband is to increase demodulated audio.

Yes, we agree here.

Please try it:

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:16 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (12 Jun 2006 13:42:26 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

So let me get this straight... In DSB-SC... both sidebands are
transmitted... but there is no carrier sent at all? Correct?... and the
carrier is re-inserted at the receiver.

100% correct.

Now with the swing set-up... both sidebands are transmitted... along
with the carrier... but the carrier's amplitude changes from extremely
low to a normal AM carrier when the modulation is added.

right again.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:16 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:22:52 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.23.22.49.949000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:20:24 -0700, Telstar Electronics wrote:

Hmmm... that's what I thought originally. Now I'm getting confused. I'm
real interested how this discussion shakes out...

Yeah, me too.
I'm hoping that Panteltje dude can get over his constipation and offer
something more enlightening than the flatulence blowing from his
keyboard.

idiot

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:18 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:34:57 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.23.34.54.717000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:34:51 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

There is in fact no need for the 'other' sideband in DSB-SC, no problem
if the receiver filters it out, that is why you can receive DSB-SC both
with USB and LSB!

Without both sidebands, it would no longer be DSB, and the reason stations
use DSB instead of SSB is for the use of ordinary receivers that lack a
BFO.

How about providing a source of those 'undetectable" DSBSC signals that
one might encounter within or nearby to the CB band, instead of some
technobabble with irrelevant circuitry illustrations?

OK for the last time before you enter my killfile:
DSB is not AM. AM is AM, and AM has both sidebands, but when we say 'DSB we mean DSB-SC.
idiot

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:19 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:42:59 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.23.42.57.909000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:42:26 -0700, Telstar Electronics wrote:

So let me get this straight... In DSB-SC... both sidebands are
transmitted... but there is no carrier sent at all? Correct?... and the
carrier is re-inserted at the receiver.

That's what Panteltje would have you believe.
Without a carrier there would be no RF propagation.

Now with the swing set-up... both sidebands are transmitted... along
with the carrier... but the carrier's amplitude changes from extremely
low to a normal AM carrier when the modulation is added.

That's right, the supressed carrier becomes un-supressed according to the
amplitude of the Modulation, otherwise there wouldn't be a signal.

IOW: Supress the carrier out entirely and all you have is audio, no radio
propagation, have to shout real loud to get any DX out of that.

Sorry dude, the sidebands are RF.

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:20 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:50:21 GMT) it happened Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote in pan.2006.06.12.23.50.19.219000@Quetzalcoatl:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:17:21 -0500, DrDeath wrote:

There is no carrier.

No Carrier - no propagation

It's like listening to LSB and USB at the same time.

That's what an AM receiver does.

If you remove half the ssb signal, say LSB, you would hear more of the
donald duck sound due to the reduced size of the bandwidth.

Not bandwidth reduction, but the lacy of waveform symetry

Just forget AM carrier when talking DSB-SC as it just isn't there. DSB
is AM and when the carrier is removed you have DSB-SC

As I've tried to point out
with out a carrier there isn't propagation.
why do you think they call it "supressed" carrier

Because it ain't there anymore, just like in SSB.

instead of removed carrier?

Because they already used 'removed' for brain.

Jan Panteltje June 13th 06 11:23 AM

DSB SC Mode

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:01:33 -0500) it happened "DrDeath"
wrote in :

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
roups.com...
Yes... at least the discussion is something interesting... instead of
dougie this and dougie that... whoever dougie is... LOL

I still trying to research this topic.... since there seems to be
considerably different views of DSB-SC out here. I'm starting to think
my original statement that a very high swing AM transmission can be
considered a DSB-SC... and requires no special BFO tuning.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Nope, if you listen with your rig set to AM and the transmission is DSB-SC
you will hear a garbled mess.

Exactly!

Telstar Electronics June 13th 06 01:23 PM

DSB SC Mode

I thought this was very helpful for me.
http://www.williamson-labs.com/480_dsb.htm
It shows that in DSB-SC... both sidebands are transmitted (they are RF)
and that no carrier is ever transmitted. The carrier would have to be
added back at the receiver. I believe that would have the same critical
tuning issues as SSB.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this as all the intelligence
is contained in a single sideband anyway.

So it appears that DSB-SC is not much different than SSB-SC. I guess
that really figured.

I was wrong in using DSB-SC and a mode that is basically AM (with a
greatly reduced carrier that increases via modulation) interchangeably.
It now is apparent they are not the same.

www.telstar-electronics.com

james June 13th 06 02:23 PM

DSB SC Mode

Jan

I don't have to go through your exercises, I am very well familiar
with diode ring demodulators and various other techniques to
demodulate audio in amplitude modualted sysytems. I am well aware of
the trade offs in effectiveness and costs of may different aprroaches.

james
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:15:08 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

+++On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:32:38 GMT) it happened james
+++

james June 13th 06 03:03 PM

DSB SC Mode

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:18:17 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

[...]

We seem to be hung up on abbreviations and their applications to
analog communications.

A list of Abbreviation in analog Modulation from Introduction to
Communications System Third Edition by Ferrel G. Stremler. This is
taken from my Communications Textbook from college.

1)AM AMplitude Modulation: A CW modulation using amplitude variation
in proportion to the amplitude of the modulating signal. Usually taken
as DSB-LC for commercial broadcast transmission and DSB-SC for
multiplexed systemes.

2) CW COntinuous Wave: A carrier signal (usually sinusoidal) used for
modulation or keying.

3) DSB Double Sideband(LC or SC): a signal having two spectral
sidebands symetrically balanced with respect tothe carrier frequency.

4) LC Large Carrier: a signal in which a relatively large proprotion
of the spectrum is concentrated at the carrier frequency ( used with
DSB, SSB, and VSB).

5) SC Supressed Carrier: a signal in which a relatively small
proportion (ideally zero) of the spectrum is is concentrated at the
carier frequency ( used with DSB, SSB, VSB).

Now translating into CB lingo AM and DSB-LC are synonymous. That is
what nearly all off the shelf AM CB radios produce. Modulation takes
place in the final stage before the antenna. There are some that use
low level modulation that follow the modulated stage with further
amplification afterwards to raise the power density to a level to
effect the desired communication range with the intended antenna
system.

Please note that the difference between Large Carrier and Suppressed
carrier can be used with DSB, SSB and VSB amplitude systems. The
difference is the role the carrier itself plays in demodulaztion ONLY!
In DSB it is generally accepted that both sidebands carry the same
information during modualation. SSB is defined as a spectrum in which
only one sideband is trransmitted with or without the carrier.
Vestigial Sideband is where one full sideband is and a partial of the
other sideband is not fully transmitted. TV signals are VSB signals.

hope this helps

james

PowerHouse Communications June 13th 06 03:09 PM

DSB SC Mode

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message

I did a nice frequency counter on an FPGA lab board:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/fpga/...nter-0.2.1.bz2

And just how do you open/view such a beast? WinRAR opened the file, but
left me with another file that was unknown and completely useless... If you
are trying to make a point, you might want to put it in a format that humans
can actually use...

[email protected] June 13th 06 03:16 PM

DSB SC Mode

PowerHouse Communications schreef:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message

I did a nice frequency counter on an FPGA lab board:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/fpga/...nter-0.2.1.bz2

And just how do you open/view such a beast? WinRAR opened the file, but
left me with another file that was unknown and completely useless... If you
are trying to make a point, you might want to put it in a format that humans
can actually use...

'bz2' is a compressed format, it is open source, and frequently used in
Linux.
It has a higher compression ratio then for exmpel 'zip' or tgz.
the correct way to 'unpack' it in Linux / unix is:
tar -jxvf frequency_counter-0.2.1.bz2
In MS windows there is as far as i knwo no correct way to do anything,
so I
cannot help you there.
You would only find verilog source files anyways, and then complain you
cannot read verilog (language), that posting really was on level3, you
were still on level 1.

PowerHouse Communications June 13th 06 04:39 PM

DSB SC Mode

wrote in message
oups.com...

PowerHouse Communications schreef:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message

I did a nice frequency counter on an FPGA lab board:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/fpga/...nter-0.2.1.bz2

And just how do you open/view such a beast? WinRAR opened the file, but
left me with another file that was unknown and completely useless... If

you
are trying to make a point, you might want to put it in a format that

humans
can actually use...

'bz2' is a compressed format, it is open source, and frequently used in
Linux.
It has a higher compression ratio then for exmpel 'zip' or tgz.
the correct way to 'unpack' it in Linux / unix is:
tar -jxvf frequency_counter-0.2.1.bz2
In MS windows there is as far as i knwo no correct way to do anything,
so I cannot help you there.

Like I told you, WinRAR opened (uncompressed) the file (unpack[ed] it in
your language)...

You would only find verilog source files anyways, and then complain you
cannot read verilog (language), that posting really was on level3, you
were still on level 1.

I could really give a **** less what planet you are on, I asked a simple
question, all you had to do was answer it without your nasty attitude.

It was nice of you to provide a link, however I'd roughly guess that over
98% of the people reading this group, including the person you replied to,
does not use Linux, and therefore would have no use for the file. Oh, and
since you have a cocky attitude about you, let me return the favor... IT'S
"example", NOT "exmpel"!