Old July 6th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Give up CB for Ham?

I just typed that in less words!!!
Old July 6th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
JJ JJ is offline

MORE FUEL FOR THE FIRE.
GIVE IT A REST ALREADY.

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
think?

Old July 6th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"CB Junkie." wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:46:13 GMT, Bob Dobbs EC42
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:59:29 -0700, anythingkinky wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
think?

After you do the mod on that HAM radio, sure, HAM radios generally perform
better than those dedicated CB monoband units.

Except on AM. The ham radios are better on sideband, but I have not
seen a ham radio yet that has an AM receiver as good as some of the
better CB's with the exception of selectivity.

Most ham radios only manage a selectivity rating of 1 uv or worse at
10db S/N on AM. Most CB's are 0.5 uv at 10 db S/N on AM. The Kenwood
TS-940 only manages a miserable 2 uv at 10 db S/N on AM.

I personally one the following ham radios;

1) Drake TR-7
2) Drake 4 B line twins
3) Kenwood TS-450sat
4) Kenwood TS-850sat
5) Tempo 2020
6) Radio Shack HTX-10

and I use to own...

1) Yaesu FT-757GX
2) Yaesu FT-101e

The Drake R-4B and the Yaesu FT-101e had the best AM receivers, but
their noise blankers were not very good.

On AM a Realistic TRC-451, Cobra 148 GTL re-issue, or Cobra 2000 will
out perform the above ham radios as far as sensitivity and noise
blanking. On sideband the Kenwood TS-450sat, tthe Kenwood TS-850sat,
and the Tempo 2020 will blow away a CB radio. The Drake TR-7 is very
selective, but even my Realistic TRC-451 is more sensitive on sideband
than the Drake TR-7.

I swear by my Taiwan built 148s. I've had one of them for some 17 years or
so, the other that I acquired recently I built for my brother at about the
same time. I now have a complete parts unit also. I have talked all over the
world on the 148.

Old July 6th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

why give up anything, use both.

(troll o'meter full scale)

Old July 6th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
pltrgyst wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

YOU KNOW I HATE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME STUPID!!!!!!!!!

hate away we all know you are full of hate by merely posting