Old September 24th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Codec2 - putting your money where your mouth is

"I was hoping that anyone
else that would like to see proprietary technology in amateur radio
replaced by something open that can be inspected, learned from and
improved"

Yes, it's called "Open Source"

On 7/1/2010 2:08 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
I was following up on the current situation with David Rowe's work
on the Codec2 digital voice codec the other day, and noticed that it's
not progressing much due to essentially lack of development time when
David needs to put food on the table. So I decided to make a donation.

I was absolutely astonished to receive a thank you from David that said
"your are the first person to donate to Codec2", I really didn't expect
that at all. Surely I thought, other people have been this way before?
It seems not.

Now, since I've put some money into the pot, I was hoping that anyone
else that would like to see proprietary technology in amateur radio
replaced by something open that can be inspected, learned from and
improved, will visit the following link and see what they are prepared
to donate:

http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/codec2.html#help