Old May 7th 14, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Radio for 9600 baud@UHF

Hi,

Any more answers on this?

I've been Googling for a source of a cheap radio to use for 9600 Baud Packet Radio networks.

Any idea's for 2014 ???

Baofeng UV5R's are soo cheap now. Could they be modified perhaps?

73 de Ken - vk4akp

http://shazam.zapto.org
..-.-.

On Tuesday, 12 September 1995 17:00:00 UTC+10, Allan Butler wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there are any suggestions out there for which
radios are easiest to convert to UHF 9600 baud packet radios. There are
several people in the area that would like to get on the air and it has
been a while since anyone purchased any commercial radios that got
converted to this mode. Of course we are looking at inexpensive and
reliable radios.

Thanks for any information that would be available out there.

--
Allan Butler KA0IES

Old May 7th 14, 08:27 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Are you a ham or are you just cheap?

At a hamfest, you can buy a used dual band 50 watt transceiver for as little as $50 if you are willing to fix something or overlook cosmetic defects.

I don't understand the need for everyone to cheapen amateur radio to the point of trying to use it like a cell phone.

There is nothing special about 9600 baud @ UHF FM.....
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old May 8th 14, 11:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Channel Jumper wrote:
There is nothing special about 9600 baud @ UHF FM.....

That is of course completely wrong. There is a lot special
about 9600 baud (the G3RUH FSK modem). The main thing it that
it requires modulation from 10 Hz upward, and this causes
trouble when the transceiver uses a single PLL that directly
generates the transmit frequency, and where the modulation is
forced on the PLL VCO voltage. That includes most mobile FM
transceivers from the era when packet was popular.

For good performance on 9600 baud you need a transceiver where
the transmit signal is mixed from a fixed frequency that is
modulated and the variable PLL-generated frequency, as is common
in multimode transceivers, or alternatively use a crystal controlled
transceiver that has no PLL in it.

At our local node we used an ancient AEG/Telefunken crystal
controlled transceiver, it had modulation to DC.
This produced the best eye-pattern on 9600 baud I have ever seen.
Old May 8th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

-

Are you a ham or are you just cheap?

At a hamfest, you can buy a used dual band 50 watt transceiver for as
little as $50 if you are willing to fix something or overlook cosmetic
defects.

I don't understand the need for everyone to cheapen amateur radio to the
point of trying to use it like a cell phone.

There is nothing special about 9600 baud @ UHF FM.....

Wrong as usual.

--
Jim Pennino
Old May 8th 14, 10:06 PM
Senior Member

Channel Jumper wrote:

;818824 Wrote:
[...]

You are just cheap!

Both of my Yaesu FT 8900R will do digital as will my Alinco's and my Kenwood's - what is the problem here?

What good is a 5 watt handheld going to do and what good is the more expensive Beofung mobile if it is a piece of crap to start with.
Maybe digital modes is the only thing it is good for.

If people won't spend the money to buy equipment to be hams, then maybe they shouldn't be hams in the first place!
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Old May 8th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Channel Jumper wrote:

;818896 Wrote:
Channel Jumper
wrote:-

;818824 Wrote: -
[...]

Point entirely missed as usual.

snip drooling rant

--
Jim Pennino
Old May 9th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

On 5/8/2014 4:06 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:

You are just cheap!

Both of my Yaesu FT 8900R will do digital as will my Alinco's and my
Kenwood's - what is the problem here?

What good is a 5 watt handheld going to do and what good is the more
expensive Beofung mobile if it is a piece of crap to start with.
Maybe digital modes is the only thing it is good for.

If people won't spend the money to buy equipment to be hams, then maybe
they shouldn't be hams in the first place!

Since when do you have to spend big bucks to be an Amateur Radio operator?
Maybe with your attitude toward those that want to be "cheap" you
shouldn't be a Ham?!?!
You don't need a special radio to do 9600 baud, you just need a TNC.

--
All the Best
Dale Miller

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

(cut the spam to reply)

__

FS: FRG-9600 No Spam Swap 0 August 28th 10 06:54 PM
Radio Rebelde on 9600 kHz @ 12:00 UTC RHF Shortwave 0 August 1st 07 01:26 PM
FS: AEA PK-96 TNC - 9600 Baud [email protected] Swap 0 June 12th 05 06:01 AM
IC-R10 & FRG-9600 freeware Laren Scanner 0 February 2nd 04 01:58 PM
9600 Baud Utilization Question ? Robert11 Scanner 1 December 5th 03 10:34 PM