Old June 4th 05, 04:53 PM
larry

Default digital signal processing

Greetings

I have problem which I am hoping this group may be able to help me out
with... First a bit about me to help you out...

I was licenced back in 1964 as ve3fxq.. and still have that same callsign...

I was in ham radio when sideband was more or less came in.. I was around
when fm and fm repeaters came in.. I was around when packet came in..
etc...

However I seemed to have left ham radio around the mid 90's... Now during
the past couple of years, I have been trying to come back...

I have noticed, however, a strong element of hams talking about digital
signal processing... They say that it allows you to do thinks like
controlling the selectivity much better than we used to do with filters,
etc...

Here is where I need the help... I have looked at websites, which talk
about dsp as if I already know what it is.. and try to sell me on a chip or
kit or board which is supposted to do dsp.. but I am still trying to find
out how dsp can help me .....

Is there a website which esplains dsp to someone who know basic receiver
consepts and knows 1's and 0's but need help in understanding dsp...

Larry ve3fxq

Old June 4th 05, 05:13 PM
Caveat Lector

Hi Larry -- Kenwood has an in depth manual on DSP - see TS-870S URL:
http://www.kenwood.net/?do=SupportFi...ry&FileCatID=5

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old June 4th 05, 07:40 PM
Jim Haynes

And then if you want to play with it you might start with the digital
modes that use the PC and soundcard to create a modem. If you use Linux
the stuff is open source so you can look at the code. Even in Windows
there may be some open-source stuff to look at.

--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Old June 4th 05, 09:42 PM
larry

Hi Caveat
I sent an emal message of thanks but it got bounced..sorry
So thanks, in a public forum..
Larry

Old July 11th 05, 04:42 AM
Mike Speed

Here is where I need the help... I have looked at websites, which talk
about dsp as if I already know what it is.. and try to sell me on a chip

or
kit or board which is supposted to do dsp.. but I am still trying to find
out how dsp can help me .....

That's a really big area and rather difficult to answer. Noise reduction is
a very
useful aspect of DSP. Depending on your rig, the filters can be helpful,
too.
As far as outboard DSP, you probably won't go too far wrong with a Timewave
DSP-599zx.
It's expensive, but the noise-reduction components are supposed to be quite
helpful.
A sound-card/computer approach that is very good is an older program known
as
DSP Blaster (db). I have searched high and low for a modern equivalent
software
implementation (something that can run on Windows XP, for example), and I
have
never heard its' equal. It has an agressive noise reduction component and
an coherent
CW filter which is hard to beat. I have found its' noise reduction unit to
be quite useful in EME.
The problem is Brian Beezley, the author, discontinued it. The program can
still be
found by a resourceful individual.

Onboard IF DSP is supposed to be the best - especially when combined with AF
DSP
in the same rig. I don't know which radio has the best perfomance-to-cost
ratio of such
an implementation.

73

Digital Broadcast Troublesome to Some, Experimental Opportunity for Others: Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 30th 04 05:28 PM
That pesky 7238 kHz CW signal John Walton Homebrew 14 September 19th 04 02:16 PM
300KHz digital signal John P Digital 6 September 7th 03 01:56 AM
300KHz digital signal John P Digital 0 September 5th 03 08:20 PM