Old July 8th 03, 10:28 PM
Jack Twilley

Default What's the deal with WIDEN-n?

Old July 9th 03, 10:08 AM
Roger Barker

In article , Jack Twilley
writes
[This message was reposted from eHam.net's APRS forum by the author]

I'm writing an APRS client in Ruby, so I've spent a lot of time
staring at packets. I think I understand how RELAY works -- whatever
station repeats RELAY packets replaces RELAY with their callsign. WIDE
works the same way, but what about WIDEN-n? I've collected some
packets with my AEA TNC to demonstrate my confusion.

Callsign substitution when using RELAY and WIDE is probably not the
norm.

KE6STHW6CX-3*WIDESWRRSR:'1PQ!68k/]"4%}Sione
KE6STHW6CX-3W6CO-5*SWRRSR:'1PQ!68k/]"4%}Sione

In this case, WIDE is being replaced with W6CO-5 when that station
repeats the packet. That makes perfect sense.

K6HG-9*WIDE2-1S7RURP:'2]1l sk/]"3q}
K6HG-9WIDE2*S7RURP:'2]1l sk/]"3q}

What station is repeating this packet? I can't tell. What's supposed
to happen here?

There are two implementations of WIDEn-N -

1. (In Kantronics UIFLOOD terminology, this is ID.) The digipeating
station decrements the SSID of the WIDEn-N alias, inserts its own
callsign/alias, with the 'H' bit set, before the WIDEn-N, and removes
any previous alias immediately before the WIDEn-N. The idea being that
the callsign/alias of the last digipeater is shown. So, if DIGI1 and
DIGI2 are two digis supporting WIDEn-N, and G4IDE sends a frame via
WIDE3-3, you get this -

G4IDEAPRS,WIDE3-3:Hello world
G4IDEAPRS,DIGI1*,WIDE3-2:Hello world
G4IDEAPRS,DIGI2*,WIDE3-1:Hello world

2. (In Kantronics UIFLOOD terminology, this is NOID.) The digipeating
station decrements the SSID of the WIDEn-N alias, it does not insert its
own callsign/alias, or remove any previous alias. So, if DIGI1 and DIGI2
are two digis supporting WIDEn-N, and G4IDE sends a frame via WIDE3-3,
you get this -

G4IDEAPRS,WIDE3-3:Hello world
G4IDEAPRS,WIDE3-2:Hello world
G4IDEAPRS,WIDE3-1:Hello world

Mixing the two can result in misleading information.

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE -

For UI-View go to -
http://www.UI-View.com
For WinPack go to - http://www.peaksys.co.uk

Old July 10th 03, 06:25 AM
Cap Pennell

"Roger Barker" wrote in message
snip
Callsign substitution when using RELAY and WIDE is probably not the
norm.

Though not yet universal, callsign substitution is _quite_ common in my
area, where many are using Kantronics or PacComm TNCs.

K6HG-9*WIDE2-1S7RURP:'2]1l sk/]"3q}
K6HG-9WIDE2*S7RURP:'2]1l sk/]"3q}

What station is repeating this packet? I can't tell. What's supposed
to happen here?

These two packets were sent by a couple of high-elevation WIDEn-N
digipeaters on mountaintops ringing the SF Bay area.

There are two implementations of WIDEn-N -

snip
Mixing the two can result in misleading information.

NOID is far better for determining network topology, and is recommended.
This recommendation is by, not least of all, the Father of APRS, Bob WB4APR,
who worked with Kantronics to enable the WIDEn-N protocol in the first
place, and the guy whose idea WIDEn-N was.
http://www.dididahdahdidit.com/text/digis.txt (explanation)
http://www.dididahdahdidit.com/ (general APRS info)
Hope this helps.
73, Cap KE6AFE

Old July 10th 03, 07:17 AM
Jack Twilley

Old July 10th 03, 07:17 AM
Jack Twilley

Old July 10th 03, 05:48 PM
Roger Barker

In article , Jack Twilley
writes
"Roger" == Roger Barker writes:

Jack Can you explain this behavior? I'm pretty sure the mobile
Jack station doesn't have a WIDE alias.

Jack KB5WIA*WIDE2-1APRS:$GPGLL,3759.519,N,12218.458,W,232104,A*3A
Jack KB5WIA*WIDE2APRS:$GPGLL,3759.519,N,12218.458,W,2 32104,A*3A

Roger KB5WIA has sent a frame, presumably -
Roger KB5WIAAPRS,WIDE2-2:Etc...
Roger and it has been digipeated by two WIDEn-N digis.

That would make sense except for the asterisks.

Roger The only slightly unusual thing about it is that most
Roger implementations of WIDEn-N, including Kantronics, will set the
Roger 'H' bit when the SSID is decremented to zero. With an
Roger AEA/Timewave TNC, which is what you appear to be using, the
Roger frame from the final WIDEn-N would be monitored as -

Roger KB5WIA*WIDE2*APRS:$GPGLL,3759.519,N,12218.458,W, 232104,A*3A
Roger (the difference is the '*' after the WIDE2)

None of the ~180k packets I have have two asterisks.

Sorry, typo. For a frame header decoded by an AEA/Timewave TNC, it
should of course have been -
KB5WIAWIDE2*APRS:$GPGLL,3759.519,N,12218.458,W,2 32104,A*3A

The main point being, that, as I said, most WIDEn-N digis set the 'H'

Old July 10th 03, 06:36 PM
Jack Twilley