Old July 31st 03, 03:52 PM
Dave VanHorn

Default Help with a KPC-3

-) I see the TX light go red, but monitoring myself I cannot heard the
noises product of the TNC.

TX audio not connected right, or transmit level adjustment turned all the
way down.
I think you might have to enable the interface on the radio too, but I'm not
sure.

-) I have never seen the RX green light turn on, I have move the squelch

every position, on and off and I never got the RX light to work, does this
light only turn on when the TNC receive a AFSK tone in the transmition? or
it suppose to light even when the squelch is of?...

That only happens when it hears modem carrier.
Try the commands: "Int term" and "cd soft"

So if any can help me with a good wire diagram from a Dim connector to a

DB9
for a Kenwood TMV7A , or maybe tell me about the lights, I will appreciate
it.

http://www.packetradio.com/tnc2rad.htm

And also if someone knows a freq for a gateway or something to try the TNC
and the packet thing since I bought it to experiment and see how this

work,
I'm located in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area.

144.39 is the nationwide APRS frequency, that should be active pretty much
anywhere.
I don't work conventional "connected" packet anymore, just APRS.

Old February 10th 04, 02:29 AM
reb

I just got a second hand KPC-3 and I'm trying to connect it to a Kenwood
TMV7A using the interface data cable, the PG-5 , I found some connection
diagrams over the internet, and I have the manual, but I don't have the
starting guide or something, and so I did the connections using the DB9 port

SETTING UP KENWOOD TM-V7A FOR PACKET/APRS USE

1. PUT 144.39 ON THE LEFT SIDE. (USA APRS frequency)
2. PUT FAVORITE REPEATER ON THE RIGHT SIDE.
3. PRESS "MNU" AND CLICK TO ITEM 15 "DATA TRANSFER".
4. PRESS THE "V" AND CLICK TO '.2' "DATA BAND".
5. PRESS "SET" AND TURN IT "ON".
6. PRESS "MNU". YOU WILL SEE THE WORD "DATA" OVER THE LEFT
(144.39) AND "PTT" OVER THE RIGHT.

TO DO VHF/VHF OR 2METER VOICE REPEATER AND PACKET AT THE SAME TIME:
1. PRESS THE RIGHT BAND SELECT BUTTON.
2. PRESS 'F' + [CONT.SEL.] (LITTLE BUTTON BETWEEN VOL CONTROLS).
3. MAKE SURE 'PM AUTO STORE' IS ON SO YOU DONT LOSE ALL SETTINGS
WHEN YOU TURN OFF THE RADIO. (SEE PAGE 39 OF THE MANUAL).
_____________________________
Below are the pinouts
______________________________

KENWOOD TM-V7A DATA JACK PINS:
1. PKD IS TX (MIC) AUDIO (connect to KPC-3 Pin #1- TX AUDIO)
2. DE IS GROUND (connect to KPC-3 Pin #9- GROUND)
3. PKS IS PTT (connect to KPC-3 Pin #3- PTT)
4. PR1 IS RX AUDIO (connect to KPC-3 Pin #5- RX AUDIO)

________________________________

KPC-3 PLUS DB-9 (if you have the KPC-3 original ... no change)

1- TX AUDIO
2- GPS DATA IN
3- PTT
4-