Old October 20th 03, 03:07 PM
Alan P. Biddle

Default Excercising a serial port

Hi,

Has anybody come across a program which allows you to raise and lower
the individual lines on a serial port? I am looking for something to
check out some lines that are being used for discrete outputs. Not
that hard to write, but before I reinvent the wheel, I wanted to see
if it had already been done.

Alan
WA4SCA

Old October 20th 03, 04:00 PM
xpyttl

Davit Tait's FPP, a PIC programmer driver, has a test mode that allows you
to wiggle the individual lines. Funny you should ask, I was just doing
that.

http://people.man.ac.uk/~mbhstdj/piclinks.html

Keep in mind if you are using NT/W2K/XP you need to get some driver software
like DIRECTIO since the operating system won't allow you to twiddle the
ports directly.

Old October 20th 03, 04:16 PM
Alan P. Biddle

Thanks! That looks like it should do it. I didn't think to look at
PIC stuff.

Alan

Old October 20th 03, 04:16 PM
Alan P. Biddle

Old October 21st 03, 12:25 AM
Alan P. Biddle

That turned out to be just what I needed. Found the problem in 5
minutes, and 4 of that was figuring out how to run the program. The
help file is a little short.

Alan