Old November 11th 03, 11:23 AM
charlesb

"TC" wrote in message
That leads to another question how do you elect yourself as a new
coordinator and what does a coordinator do and all that jazz?

Make up an IP number for yourself and hey presto! You're a coordinator!

The people who used to take care of this do not care any more, so just make
something up and go. Who will ever know the difference? You might get one,
maybe two other hams to play with this stuff, so it's not like you have to
worry about causing any trouble with your AMPR station or the addresses you
make up. Just stay off of the regular packet frequencies and you won't
bother anybody or interrupt anything important.

But I'm not at that point. I'm starting from scratch I was big into
packet 10 years ago or so and got out of it when I went to university. Now
that I'm done I'd like to play with Ampr Net. What should I be doing

before
I get an IP address and any thoughts on software to be running when I put

my
TNC into KISS (or am I missing something?) I haven't found much on the
Internet unfortently hence the posting

All the software you used 10 years ago is still around, and has not changed
in the intervening decade. If you still have your old setup from ten years
ago just fire it up. It is 100% up to date. There has been no progress in
AMPR software in the last decade, hence the lack of info on the Internet.
Thopugh AMPR is effectively dead, many hams enjoy nostalgia activities
involved in amateur radio. If you enjoy operating AMPR and have found
another ham who will participate with you, there is absolutely no reason not
to go ahead and do so.

Enjoy!

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old November 11th 03, 03:28 AM
TC

That leads to another question how do you elect yourself as a new
coordinator and what does a coordinator do and all that jazz?
But I'm not at that point. I'm starting from scratch I was big into
packet 10 years ago or so and got out of it when I went to university. Now
that I'm done I'd like to play with Ampr Net. What should I be doing before
I get an IP address and any thoughts on software to be running when I put my
TNC into KISS (or am I missing something?) I haven't found much on the
Internet unfortently hence the posting

FYI: the reply address I have here is so I don't have to deal with spam so
please post to the group.

Thank you,

TC

"Gene Storey" wrote in message
Grab this file:

ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/amprnets

Look up your coordinator, and start there. If your coordinator has lost

interest,
then you can elect yourself as the new coordinator :-)

"TC" wrote
Hi,
I want to get involved with Ampr Net can any one let me know how to

get
started what's needed and all that fun stuff.

Thanks,

TC